BMW changes F800 series recommended engine oil viscosity

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

BMW changes F800 series recommended engine oil viscosity

Post by CycleRob »

News to me -and- this happened prior to November of 2012 !

http://www.bmw-motorrad.dk/se/sv/servic ... 012_MD.pdf

I guess they are tired of the few noisy engine complaints to the dealers. Every similar/equivalent Japanese twin cyl engine calls for 10W-40 oil. My F800, just like the OilHeads - - - but less loud, has what is considered the normal light ticks-n-clicks for these twins.

So, plan your new oil purchases accordingly.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: BMW changes F800 series recommended engine oil viscosity

Post by sweatmark »

Interesting. Thanks Rob.

Will have to ask for dealer comment when I bring our F800 in for its rear drive recall check.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
RBrider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by RBrider »

Hey CycleRob

I just bought a leftover '13 F800R. Did a fly & ride. Left the dealer with 14 miles on the odo and had 630 when I got home the next day. I was surprised to find that 15/50 synth. was the recommended oil. Since then, we did a two up 475 mile 3 day getaway, F8 hasn't used any oil on break in. It must like the 15/50.

Thanks for your well written and informative posts.

RB
Airman
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Airman »

I don't know how the 800 motor will crank in cold weather with the 15/50, but my boxer is a little slow when it's below 40 degrees F.
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.
RSMike
Basic User

Post by RSMike »

I'm taking over servicing of my 2012 F650GS from tomorrow! Its now out of warranty and the next service is due.

The dealer put Castrol 10W-50 in at the last service, The BMW Rider's Manual calls for 10W-40 for a min temp of -20C (-4F) or 15w-40 for a min temp of -10C (14F).

The 15W-40 is probably ideal for my climate, but I think I will find it hard to find locally so will likely go with Castrol 10W-40.

The most annoying thing is not being able to reset the service indicator on the bike when I do my service, It just seems mean and petty that BMW excludes this basic function [-X . And no, I don't feel like spending €300 on a GS-911 just to reset the service indicator
1996 R1100R Artic grey
2012 F650GS SE
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

RSMike, Where are you located? There are a few of us with those GS-911 dongles out there willing to help you -but- resetting a service reminder WILL use up one of the 10 VIN numbers allotted for the less expensive "Enthusiast" models. The "Professional" models have unlimited number of eligible VINs. If you'll be staying with BMW (I will) and work on your own bike, purchasing the basic USB laptop computer model would be worth it. Some dealers, maybe the dealer you may have bought your bike from, will reset the service code for free after you express your terminal frustration with the BMW system. If they want a small fee, insist they effectively disable the service reminder function by setting a service date 20 years and 120,000 miles into the future.

Also, it is not just the service reminder reset that makes the GS-911 so valuable. It is it's ability to real time test all the ignition and EFI components, run the cooling fan, cycle the purge vent solenoid, confirm the sidestand position and electronically reset and calibrate the idle control motor. It will also tell you what electrical component is malfunctioning. If you are going to rely on the BMW dealer to diagnose and "fix" those things, it will get expensive . . . almost always more expensive than a new GS-911 !

Either find a friend who has one or save up and get your very own . . . for all your future BMW bikes.

To see which model GS-911 is right for you, go here: http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/compare
`09 F800ST

RSMike
Basic User

Post by RSMike »

Hey CycleRob,

Thanks, I'm in Cork, Ireland, so definetly too far away to get the use of your GS911, it would be an interesting ride on the GS though, :p Maybe there is someone local on the board who has one? The local dealer might do it, but TBH, I'm the type who would go spend the €300 rather than go begging to the dealer.
Been reading about brake bleeding with ABS and while I understand cycling the ABS may not be absolutely necessary, it sounds like a good idea, something I had not realised it could do. Then again I guess I could go out on the bike and stomp/pull hard on the brakes to cycle the ABS.

I know this one has been flogged to death on various fora, but for me the lack of IOS support is a drawback. I do have an old dell desktop running XP and an old nokia phone that could run the java mobile version but it would be so more attractive if it ran on my iPad/iPhone

And if I had not just acquired a 1996 R1100R that would benefit from a new rear shock and would sound nice with an aftermarket exhaust, I probably would now just go and buy the gs911 (and might yet!), #-o

BTW, like your tip on leaning the GS both ways to drain as much of the old oil as possible, I will practice that (carefully), though probably would not have thought of it otherwise.

UPDATE: I saved up and bought my own GS911 :D. Pretty nice software OK running fine on my old Dell machine, which now has a new home in the garage! Oil change service done, and service indicator reset, must do the brake fluid next.

BTW I see they now offer a 3 pin adapter for the older R1100 models, anyone tried this, is it worth getting?
1996 R1100R Artic grey
2012 F650GS SE
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

Getting back to the original Oil topic. The F800 bike GS-911 posts go here: http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18211

I was using Semi-Synthetic Castrol 4T 10W-40 oil, but now my new choice is Shell Rotella T6. It is designated as a Diesel engine oil recommended for all modern 4-stroke engines (non-Diesel), including motorcycles. Being formulated for Diesel engines is a good thing as they have 22:1 compression ratios and moving pistons/rings/gears/cams/rods that are more heavily loaded than those same parts in the gasoline engines of cars and M/Cs. It also has the JASO MA rating, specifying it is OK for wet clutches. Read the 2nd customer review titled "Very Good Motorcycle Oil" here: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rotella ... AllReviews

I ordered 2 gallon jugs, but the E-Mail confirmation of the On-Line order showed one item was canceled, leaving just 1 gallon available for pickup.

Here is their response:
"Thank you for shopping with Walmart.com. Unfortunately, we've had to cancel the items listed below because they were not available in your selected store when we were preparing your order for pickup. We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you. If you are still interested in these items, they may be available for pickup at another Walmart store, or they may be available for home delivery". Yesterday I just picked up that plastic gallon jug (4 quarts or 3.785 Liter for you Euros-n-Aussies) at the local WallyStore:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rote...1-Gal/14958681
I purchased it On-Line as recommended by those reviewers, but the $21.74 in-store price was exactly the same. Turns out that is the safer way to buy it because the in-store shelf space provided for it was empty! In the store pickup screen there was an "Email me when this item is available in (your store's town)" link to select.

BTW, there is an On-Line $5 rebate data entry page available until October 31, 2014. The check is then mailed to you.
http://www.shell.com/rotella/promoti...promotion.html
That works out to $5.81/qt (after the 7% combined city/state sales tax) for a name brand premium grade heavy duty full synthetic (MotorCycle) oil. Way better than regular or non synthetic M/C oils. I'll also be using it in 3 Honda/Yamaha gasoline powered generators, two 4-stroke string trimmer engines and an OHC 5.5HP Honda lawn mower.
`09 F800ST

Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

I have anR1200R,my son has F800R.Yesterday we switched bikes.R1200R is wery nimble,easy to drive cornering etc.but F800R is even better.It drives lightly like an250cc bike.It is amasing bike.If you don't want torew it,can switch gears up at3500-4000rpm and it is going to behave totally normal.If you want hard acceleration,Got to rew it higher than R1200R,wich is normal 50%less ccm.R1200R pulling power from low rpms is amasing-it pulls like an ox in 6th gear from 2500 rpm.F800R is more"sporty".rew it a littlebit higher,and it isFAST.BTW Lost rider wrot:comparing these two bikes is like oranges and apples-he is right.

BRGDS,Steve H.
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Yes,Cyclerob, I am using 50-50% mixed rotella-t 15-40 and rotella t6 syntetic in both R1200R and F800R with no ill affect whatsoever.My bikesw are happy.Using rotella-t 15-40 in my cars,lawnmovers.Cars asking for 5W30,no problem to start in Canadian harsh winters.Personally I found rotella as an amasing oil.Especially regular(mineral)rotella is wey shear stabil-perfect for gear box(F800R).R1200R -not complaining at all.Using BMW oil filters/mahle /Mobil-1 102.Never using Fram filters.The bikes are happy,as well I am.For Canadian climate it is a perfect combination.

Steve H.
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

I do not using semy syntetic oils,I do not know how much syntetic is in 10-15-20-25%???This way I know 50-50% period.Buing rotella mineral 15w40 in Sidney,NE for less than 13$/gal.and T-6 syntetic for less than 23$/gal.Good enough for two oil changes.That is at Walmart.
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

The on-line purchase store pickup price for Full Synthetic 5W-40 Shell Rotella T6 has been lowered to $19.16/Gallon (WalMart). It has worked well in my bike, with no change in clutch engagement feel. I like the 5W-40 rating as opposed to the usual 10W-40, giving better (thinner) oil circulation and lubrication for a cold engine driven away in less than a minute of starting it. The biggest plus is that it is a proven brand name Full Synthetic oil for $4.79/qt + tax.
`09 F800ST