Two up 800st ?

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Two up 800st ?

Post by captaincable »

I am doing my due diligence am am looking at a few options including a used 800st, my wife rides short distances on occasion on my F650GS she says shes comfortable, it forces me into the "faux" tank. Talked to Cyclerob he does not think the 800 st is very good for a passenger has anyone done much two up ?
Willfreely
Basic User

Re: Two up 800st ?

Post by Willfreely »

Two up riding doubles the weight and physical concerns of the driver. I have found a significant difference in my normally spirited solo riding, as opposed to the rare occassion of sharing the ethical karma of not only what happens to me by carrying a passenger. That has usually resulted in a grandmotherly style of riding my R1150, or previously R80, to the point of boredom. I suppose riding the cycle's version of a Winnebago, a Goldwing, allows for a better passenger experience, what with sharing the sound system, backrests and stewardess. But there begats a larger bike, which I think answers the question; No, the 800 isn't good for two up on more than the rare occassion. Give your wife the other bike and ride as a pair. Personally, I've had enough women on my back, so I'd rather ride beside them (or in front or behind).
Virginia Beach, Va
2004 R1150R
(past rides)
1983 R80
1981 R100RT
1982 R80
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

About the passenger comfort . . . My loving/tolerant wife Ann said it was not as good as the R1150R's passenger seat was. It's narrower, placing nearly all her weight (~135 lbs) on a smaller seat pad area. Maybe the low friction plushness of the Ohlins front and rear shocks and greater weight of the other bike just spoiled her. One good thing she does like on the F800, besides the beautiful paint color is the Givi Tail Trunk that provides a solid safety backrest -and- it allows me to be less timid with the throttle on take-offs and it makes the unexpected throttle roll-ons less scary.

When I first got the new bike, one remarkable thing I did notice when adding her as a passenger, the F800ST then handles exactly like solo riding on the R1150R. A smoother, literally bump free ride, feeling very stable while entering/leaving corners, just like a big heavy bike does.

Female passenger time/comfort rating:
2002 R1150R - - rest stop needed at 55 minutes. 70 minutes is torture.
2009 F800ST - - rest stop needed at 45--50 minutes. 60 minutes is torture.
You may also want to bear in mind we were both born in 1947.

As the guy up front (the rider) I like the newer ST better than the 50R and can ride it for a 10--20 minute longer period before feeling discomfort. No $$$ famous brand replacement seat for me.

Edited: For new photo provider and enhancements
Last edited by CycleRob on Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

captaincable wrote:I am doing my due diligence am am looking at a few options including a used 800st, my wife rides short distances on occasion on my F650GS she says shes comfortable, it forces me into the "faux" tank. Talked to Cyclerob he does not think the 800 st is very good for a passenger has anyone done much two up ?
Difficult question.

Short rides similar to your F650 jaunts? Then the F800ST should be ok for pillion.

Long treks? I don't think the F800 platform is well-suited for two-up travels IMHO. Or it might be better stated: you will probably be more comfortable on a larger bike.

But for reference, our usual moto trip companions ride two-up on a /5 airhead equipped with aftermarket seat. They pack light. He's over 6 ft, she's tiny. Guessing they have completed over 50k miles of two-up travel since we started riding with them in 2005.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

Thanks a bunch guys, I sold the f650gs today, now I feel a little lost, Tried out an old Pacific Coast today, don't think it is for me but I will say the seat was great and the bike was easy to handle, but I feel the allure of the belt drive calling and money burning a hole in my pocket :D I am starting to appreciate the f800 class of bikes more and more. Mike