F800ST for a large guy ?

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

babulin2002
Basic User

F800ST for a large guy ?

Post by babulin2002 »

Hi all
I currently have a R1100RT, and the ST looks appealing, but how is it for a large guy like me, 1,92 m 105 kg ?
Is it cramped, how about wind protection, riding in rain, cold, i am guessing i cannot hide behind the windscreen and my head+neck is always in the airstream ?
Thanks
Cheers
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Re: F800ST for a large guy ?

Post by CycleRob »

babulin2002,

That would make you 6' 3.5" and 231.5 pounds.

At 5' 7" my entire full face helmet is in the airstream but my neck is not.
My 157 lb rider weight does not need heavier front fork springs, but your 105 kg most likely will.
About the riding position being cramped, I would say no. You'll have to sit on and/or test ride one. Be prepared for the sensations of dramatic weight loss and narrowness between the old and new bikes. Boxer thought "it was like a toy" compared to his old bagged R1150R. It is a high performance toy and heavy curb weight is only somewhat desirable in a touring-only bike, for a smoother ride and crosswind stability.
About the ride, my lightness, as you would expect, delivers more bumpy movements from small road irregularities than the old 1150R did.
Riding in the rain or very cold weather, I am protected, except for the shoe area.

-BUT-

The throttle response, engine power curve, sharp curve handling, short braking distances and fuel economy are phenomenal. The noticeable engine vibration when new "goes away" after 4,000 miles or so. Maintenance is much cheaper than the OilHead if you or a dealer services your bike. It always starts immediately (and QUIETLY), computer controlled idles and is ready to go in any temp or weather. You will even like the deep muffled sound it makes.

Even today, if I had $12K to spend on a new bike, the F800ST would be it.

Test ride and look to our pricey fuel future, NOT to the past.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

...the ST looks appealing, but how is it for a large guy like me, 1,92 m 105 kg ?
Is it cramped, how about wind protection, riding in rain, cold, i am guessing i cannot hide behind the windscreen and my head+neck is always in the airstream ?
I'm a couple inches shorter, and a couple stone heavier than you. If your leg length/inseam is anywhere near customary for your height, then you'll likely find the seat-pegs distance to be torture. My short Scandinavian legs can handle riding wife's F800S, but with frequent leg cramp stretching required. If I had typical inseam for my height, then the bike would not work. Your inseam is likely many cm longer than mine, and unless you plan to combine yoga with motorcycling, then I suggest you seriously compare the ergonomics of the F800ST versus the F800GS.

I concur with Rob's comments about the F800 drivetrain: it's a good system.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
babulin2002
Basic User

Post by babulin2002 »

Thanks for the replies !
I did test ride the f800s a couple of years back, when i had the R1100R, and i remember the sensation of lightness, which i didn't really like, the heavier R gave me what felt like more stability in the sense that it just went through side winds and road bumps without being affected that much. I also remember the engine being very responsive to throttle, it sure was a quick bike. Touring at high speeds, however, didn't seem like so much fun. And it did feel a bit cramped for my size. I was just curious if the ST feels similar. And yes, i do love the idea of belt drive, soooo much simpler, lighter, more reliable & maintenace free than everything else ! I guess i will test ride one when i get a chance.
Cheers
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

I did test ride the f800s a couple of years back, when i had the R1100R, and i remember the sensation of lightness, which i didn't really like, the heavier R gave me what felt like more stability in the sense that it just went through side winds and road bumps without being affected that much.
And that's why I like the R1150R Roadster/Rockster so much for touring: heavy enough for stability, without being too heavy for general handling dynamics. Nonetheless, put yourself and some traveling gear on one of the F800** bikes, and the resulting ride is stable and enjoyable. Just don't gauge the bike's abilities during a quick switch from heavier bike to lighter.
And it did feel a bit cramped for my size. I was just curious if the ST feels similar.
The F800S and ST are identical except for triple clamp top + handlebar, and the lower fairing. You can swap the taller/shorter windshields. We purchased a handlebar kit for my wife's F800S in order to get "ST" comfort and relaxed riding position. You might find the seating cramped for either variant, hence the recommendation for test ride on the F800GS.
babulin2002
Basic User

Post by babulin2002 »

Thanks!
I guess i will just test ride as many of the f800 versions as i can and see how it feels :)
Cheers
Woland
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Woland »

I'm 193 cm and 120kg. Used to have a F800ST but found it a little cramped for me, but that's with me having a bad back and somewhat cranky knees, if I'd been more fit it wouldn't have been a problem.

That said I wouldn't trade my R1200R for it even if I was fit as hell. Still the F800ST is a fine bike, really nice motor and good handling apart from the soft front shocks and the gearbox isn't nearly as clunky as on the R ;) You get a hell of a lot of bike for your money with a F800 with great mileage and decent service costs.
gunga din
Basic User
Donating Member #: 2681

Post by gunga din »

One more overweight old fart has decided to hop (and yes i'm still hobbling so hop is the appropriate word) onboard an F800 bike.

Not entirely sure I have made the right decision, (pick it up this weekend) but when cycle rob speaks he can be heard down-under, and some of us have ears to hear. Guess I can't expect the detailed mechanical how to fix it reports that were generously submitted on the R1150R thread, but feel confident the guru will come down from the mountain to answer some queries.

OK so it isn't a new bike but a one owner 2008 ST, and I have read the threads, and yes there does seem to be some issues with earlier models, and no it's not lemon in colour, but time will tell whether it should have been.

I will report my first impressions when I have run it through its paces. I really enjoyed my R1150R, not the ABS bleeding, nor the final drive issues, but it served me well until some unobservant woman driving an SUV with a bull bar T-boned me some two and half months back. I will now be doing an average impression of "house" the tv character from show of same name, as my first issue will be where to carry my walking stick. BMW have thought of a few things with this bike, like tyre pressure monitors, something I could have done without, but haven't, as far as can tell, catered for the temporarily crippled.

Cheers

gunga din

Possessions are usually diminished by possession. –Nietzsche
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

gunga - glad you're hopping back on after that crash.
Not entirely sure I have made the right decision... Guess I can't expect the detailed mechanical how to fix it reports that were generously submitted on the R1150R thread
I'm betting that you will like the bike, especially when the realization settles in that the F800 has so few weaknesses and enough strengths to make a good all-around machine. Thankfully, there's not much to fix.
gunga din
Basic User
Donating Member #: 2681

Post by gunga din »

Sweatmark on a couple of initial short rides I would say you are right.

The bike feels very nimble and responsive. I'm about 5'11" and weigh, kitted out for riding, about 200+ lbs, so for those who are questioning comfort I would say no problems if you are similar stature. I do feel the bars are a stretch and would benefit from risers if an upright riding position is preferred. The grips would benefit from being a larger diameter too.

Seat height is great at least for my height, the bike seems so light compared to the R1150R. I appreciate that the indicators switch off automatically and the gear selection is displayed. Would be good if one could ascertain radiator level through viewing window, I found it necessary to remove the side fairing.

The bike requires more revs than the boxer and I find 4,000 rpm to be the optimum for general ambling around, others may disagree.

Does anyone here know where one might obtain a repair manual for this bike?

cheers

gunga
Possessions are usually diminished by possession. –Nietzsche