Odyssey Battery

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

snowprick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 3953

Odyssey Battery

Post by snowprick »

Does anyone know if Odyssey are going to produce a direct replacement battery for the F800 series. I emailed them the question but never got any response. I believe there is a big market waiting for them as a lot of people seem unhappy with the OEM battery.

Anyone in the know?
Rod
2001 R1150R Black of course (sold)
2009 F800GS Black & yellow of course
Apple Macintosh
touchton
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Odyssey Battery

Post by touchton »

Speaking of batteries, what kind of battery is in the F800ST and what kind of Battery Tender do I need? If Odyssey does make a battery for the F800 would the same Battery Tender work?

Thanks.
Thad
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

I believe it is a YTX14-BS made by Exide. You can get it for $40 + S&H on the Net.

The Odyssey model is PC535GS, but you need to trim the plastic ribs on the bike's battery box so the larger battery will fit.

After reading about it elsewhere, I took steps to prevent/delay SuddenBatteryDeathSyndrome. It involves adding bottom and back sheets of ridgid closed cell shipping foam to isolate the battery from engine vibration. Since the battery gets elevated, I had to add a spacer and longer bolt to the hold down bracket.
Image Image

Edit: to change photo provider.
Last edited by CycleRob on Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Odyssey Battery

Post by CycleRob »

Multimeter monitoring my new Battery Tender Plus connected to my bike, it takes it no higher than 14.7V on the red light (initial and 2nd stage charge), which is AOK for any glass mat maintenance free sealed battery. The final (3rd stage) float charge drops down to and then maintains 13.18V indefinitely.

I expect my stock battery will last 4 or 5 years with the additional foam padding, faithful idle time charging and a complete lack of the all too common . . . . naive owner abuse. By that time, Odyssey should have a battery sized for the F800 series bikes.

`09 F800ST

snowprick
Lifer

Post by snowprick »

Thanks Rob,

We live in hope.
Rod
Apple Macintosh
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

Here I am with 5 years and 2 months and almost 24K miles of service from the bike's original battery and it still cranks the engine at normal speed, starting it almost immediately. That is conclusive proof that the stock battery unpadded mounting is too hostile for battery longevity. It's a good thing I had read about SuddenBatteryDeathSyndrome (elsewhere) that typically occurs just after year 2 of F800 S/ST twin ownership. Because the regulated voltage control was shown to be good by the added on 3 color LED voltmeter, I concluded it had to be vibration or excess heat causing the battery's early demise. Adding the discarded high density shipping foam was a logical and easy first step. I just measured the battery at 12.48 V after sitting for 2 days. That is on the lower end of being OK, but starting the engine in very cold winter weather (NOT where I live now!!) could be difficult.

Being retired and not having to worry about my bike starting up after work in the freezing cold parking lot (BTDT), I'll wait until the battery gives me a noticeable sign cranking on the starter or a voltmeter reading below 12.40 before ordering the new Odyssey PC535 from Amazon, currently at $119.38 with free shipping.
`09 F800ST

snowprick
Lifer

Post by snowprick »

CycleRob,

I have kept my 2009 F800GS on an Optimate since new. When the original battery started showing "the signs" I duped it in favour of an Yuasa, being the best battery available here in the Philippines. Imagine my surprise when the bl@@dy thing quit on me in a mall parking lot almost 12 months later to the day. Grrrrr!. Now I have installed an El Cheapo Motobatt at about quarter the price, and its been working fine for about a year now. Is this a go anywhere bike…….. I don't think so. I still enjoy riding it but am always mindful of the fact I may have to walk home. Ride safe my friend. :)
Rod
Apple Macintosh
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

Well, a new model Yuasa battery type has come out, the GYZ series. Here is a copy-n-paste of the attributes:

•AGM separators with superior grid designs for extreme vibration resistance
•More active material surface area for enhanced performance and power
•Longer shelf life and improved life cycle performance
•Additional Amp hours for more accessories
•Supplied "Factory Activated" (nonspillable)
Click on Thumbnail, then click on pic displayed to go to full size:

The GYZ16H battery is the one designated to fit the BMW F800 twins. It is a 16 Amp-Hr battery as opposed to 14 Amp-Hr of the stock and Odyssey batteries, but it is the same physical size of the stock battery. That extra 2 Amp-Hr capacity provides a stronger output for a longer time under a discharge load. I hesitate to list websites like amazon.com as they got only 4 stars, so shop around the net for Yuasa GYZ16H
My stock battery, which is still good in the way it cranks fast and starts immediately, has lasted 5 years and 4 months. That stock YTX14-BS 200 CCA (ColdCrankingAmps) battery is listed under the Yuasa "Better" group (of Good-Better-Best), but the GYZ16H is in the "Best" group because of it's new design's superior vibration resistance and much higher 240 CCA power. After digesting all the plusses and minuses I have had to reconsider getting the $40 more expensive and similarily designed $119 Odyssey PC535 200 CCA battery that needs the extensive plastic ribbed structure cut/ground off the narrow ends of the battery case in order for it to fit. That new GYZ16H Yuasa would take me all the way to new bike trade-in day.

The best thing every F800 rider can do right now to make the bike's battery last the longest is to find some high density shipping foam for the underside of your battery and a bracket elevating spacer 90 percent as thick as the foam, with a longer bolt for that plastic top holder bracket. Like this:
Image Image

Edit: as of today (Aug-9-2019) my May 10th 2015 replacement Yuasa GYZ16H is doing great. Yes, because of those 2 foam sheets, the stock BMW battery had a service life that was 1 month short of 6 YEARS !!
`09 F800ST