Tankslapper Film

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

Zinger
Basic User

Tankslapper Film

Post by Zinger »

Hey CycleRob, I know you used the Tankslapper film on your F800, what is your opinion of it. I'm looking to get the tank kit for my Tiger.
http://www.StoveNet.com - The Global Stove and Hearth Forum
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Tankslapper Film

Post by CycleRob »

I had the TankSlapper film for about 7 years on my 1150R. The last year or so it got some kind of spilled liquid stain on it that, after I ignored it, transferred to the gold paint below. The stain did not come out with rubbing compound and it is still there. Overall, the protection the film provides, for about $20 for the 3 left/right/center panels is priceless! Pennies on the dollar protection that realistically should be replaced about every 4 or 5 years and 50K miles by the average Joe Rider. Metal jacket snaps and zippers don't get thru it. It is nearly invisible, even up close, especially in it's first 3--4 years of service. It covers much more area and areas than those conventional, more expensive tank pads. There is a very good OnLine video that shows how to install it. If you make a mistake and it's slightly out of position, peel it off and do it again, with ZERO negative consequences. It's not a glue. It's the surface tension of the micro thin water/Alcohol installation liquid that you easily mix-n-make. Rain, washing and high speed wind will not peel it off when it's properly applied. It has virtually no competition for it's cost/protection attributes.

It is money well spent . . . . and it's cheap enough to replace it every year for the cosmetic perfectionists that must see a flawless sheen in their 4 inch (100mm) magnifying glass. It may yellow slightly with age, waxes/cleaners and excess sunlight.

I ordered and had the TankSlapper film in my hands weeks before my F800 came in. Anybody that sees my new bike doesn't even notice that the TankSlapper film is on it, possibly it's best attribute.

Edit: Dead end Link removed. It did work way back when it was posted as a (dot)com and (dot)biz, but now it is only (dot)biz.
The rear "tank" panel portion really takes a beating from my jacket snaps and seams. It shows as lost luster in that plastic film. The unprotected painted surface would be toast by now (1 year anniversary on June 9th) without the TankSlapper film. I'm usually seated with the package to the tank so the arm reach to the bars is more "Standard" than SportBike. :-k

Last edited by CycleRob on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

I did the brakes (that was quick and easy compared to my ABS system!) and did some cleaning on Amy's bike today. I noticed the tank was getting scuffed from the tank bag and some light scratches above the saddle. So, I'm gonna do some polishing and order some of this stuff.

The link above was a dead end. Here's the newer one.

http://www.thetankslapper.biz/
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

Well, my jacket's button snap finally wore thru a U.S. Quarter sized flap of the TankSlapper film and it's flapping in the breeze. The F800ST "tank" near vertical panel makes more direct contact with the rider than the 50R's seat front upturn protection would allow. Since I did not apply the side panel films - - my legs rarely contact that bodywork - - I'll trace-n-cut several new tankpads from those 2 panels.

The weather for weeks has been cold and damp here lately. When it was nice out I had firewood to split . . . and I now have an amazing splitter to do that job - - to be written up in Off Topic next year (just days away).

As usual, New Years Eve will be spent with my truly wonderful wife Ann, in our bathrobes after our shower, with a tasty/expensive high cholesterol home cooked RibEye steak & lobster tail meal. There will be shrimp dingle, with the red horse radish dunking sauce and Champagne for later. Be careful if you'll be driving to your party! We need you for your contribution to the ride. Happy New Year my friends. \:D/ :smt026 :smt041 :smt058
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

CycleRob wrote:Well, my jacket's button snap finally wore thru a U.S. Quarter sized flap of the TankSlapper film and it's flapping in the breeze. The F800ST "tank" near vertical panel makes more direct contact with the rider than the 50R's seat front upturn protection would allow. Since I did not apply the side panel films - - my legs rarely contact that bodywork - - I'll trace-n-cut several new tankpads from those 2 panels.

The weather for weeks has been cold and damp here lately. When it was nice out I had firewood to split . . . and I now have an amazing splitter to do that job - - to be written up in Off Topic next year (just days away).

As usual, New Years Eve will be spent with my truly wonderful wife Ann, in our bathrobes after our shower, with a tasty/expensive high cholesterol home cooked RibEye steak & lobster tail meal. There will be shrimp ----, with the red horse radish dunking sauce and Champagne for later. Be careful if you'll be driving to your party! We need you for your contribution to the ride. Happy New Year my friends. \:D/ :smt026 :smt041 :smt058
Happy New Year to you as well, Rob! Thanks for all your help and contribution to this board, it has always been helpful. I love how the board sensored the "tails" above. Gotta love it!
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD