K1200R is going

This forum houses topics related to other BMW bikes that dont have their own forum (s1000r, r9t, K1200R, F800, r1250r, GS, HP2, HP4, F, K bikes, etc), or upcoming machines

Moderator: Moderators

riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

K1200R is going

Post by riceburner »

I would put up a post in Buy/Sell/Trade, but a) I'm in the UK (so the post wouldn't be relevant to 99% of the board) and b) I don't have permission to do so anyway. :)

I've enjoyed riding the big K, but it's really not suitable for a winter commute so I'm hoping to find something far less valuable (and powerful!) and see what comes around next year!

Obviously I will very likely be sticking with BMWs and I can see an R1150GS as being a highly likely 'winter hack'. ;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: K1200R is going

Post by sweatmark »

Great minds think alike!

I'm on the bubble regarding the mighty K, love it for frenetic interstate travel, but the commitment required (ergonomic and philosophic) doesn't leave room for casual rider daydreaming.

Plus, my 18-year employer announced sale of the business on Friday. My colleagues and I get to interview for jobs with the Borg, er, the international firm that purchased us. Immediate downsizing and optimizing - including motorcycle assets - is my reaction.

Plus plus, I am giving my Rockster to my brother. He would inherit the bike anyway upon my demise, but he's been without a bike for years.

So, winter commuter (and casual riding) bike for me is... the F800! Rode it in 400 miles in autumn rain this weekend and greatly appreciate the lightweight yet sturdy machine. The older F800S/ST are unloved in the marketplace, so used bike prices (for technically advanced and mostly reliable BMW) are dirt cheap. Recommended. Bonus - there's a good F800 forum that reminds me of the early days here on R1150R.

Good luck!
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

I was going to say something about the friendly F800 twin motor, but BMW Motorrad International has already done it justice:
With the two-cylinder Parallel-Twin, BMW development engineers have deliberately focussed more on smoothness and superior unfurling of power in the mid-speed range rather than on peak performances. The power train's acceleration will thrill sport riders while touring riders will enjoy the effortless shifting with the high-torque twin.
I'm sure the original German language provided more titillation, but I personally cannot wait until next F800 ride and chance to unfurl some power.

But, really, it's a nice mild-mannered drivetrain, and the belt drive rocks for commuting.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Well, nothing has happened yet (but then that's mainly because we're on a 2 month tour round europe in a campervan. ;) ), but I've decided there's still life in the Rockster yet, and there's still some around with reasonably low mileage so that's what I'm going to look for. :D
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

Well it goes w/o sayin' that I am a big fan of the rockster. it just does anything I need it to do and keeps on going!!! I've got a set of studs (aircraft speak)jugs,pistons/rings new head and cams/&chain/sprockets push rods ready, but the compression is still in the 160+ psi range and no oil burning or leaking, but I'm ready to renew w/necessary! Also acquired almost new rear drive and trans (from a '04 rockster that was parted out due to insurance right off, big dent in tank reason!

Not going to use until needed.

I had a '03 K1200RS for a year and used it hard w/ pillion sometimes and its a great road traveler w' cruise control etc. But..heavy and now I'm mostly solo and like to travel light.

They are solid machines, no regrets, and the guy I sold it to loves it.

:-)
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Well - still haven't sold the K! Not because I've been using it, but simply because we've been too busy pootling around France and Spain in the van. ;)

Probably going to have to wait until we get home on 2019 now, hopefully there'll still be a few Rocksters around by then. :)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life