transmission problem

This forum houses topics related to other BMW bikes that dont have their own forum (s1000r, r9t, K1200R, F800, r1250r, GS, HP2, HP4, F, K bikes, etc), or upcoming machines

Moderator: Moderators

jacksgp
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

transmission problem

Postby jacksgp » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:28 pm

Here goes....1996 r850r with 106,000 miles on the clock. Never had a problem until now.
My bike somehow shifts itself out of first gear and into neutral while I'm waiting at a light.
Other times I'm going slow with the bike in first gear (coasting) with the clutch pulled in waiting for the green light. The light turns green and I give it some throttle only to find out I'm in neutral again!
This only happens in first gear...not all the time but enough where it is a problem! It never slips out of first gear once I'm under way, only when stopped or nearly stopped.
Any thoughts?

Thanks

omg1010
Basic User

Re: transmission problem

Postby omg1010 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:19 am

The gearboxes are common for idle problems. And on pre-M97 gearboxes problems (usually skipping gears) were quite common.

Have a look here http://www.largiader.com/tech/oiltrans/

Suggest you keep on riding and observe if the problems get worse. You might also have a look at the shift lever. At advanced age they might get stuck.

Brgds
Oliver

jacksgp
Basic User

Postby jacksgp » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:31 pm

Thank you omg1010 for your advice and link to lirgiadar.com.
I will take a wait and see approch before I do anything. I do have a question if you don't mind.
What do you mean about the shifter being stuck? Stuck how ?
The reason I'm interested is this spring I raised my shift lever all the way up to alow me to keep riding with a left ankle fusion. Maybe because I'm now shifting with my entire foot instead of my ankle. Wow...never even considered that! I did have this problem before I adjusted it but nothing like it is now.
Thanks again!

omg1010
Basic User

Postby omg1010 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:14 pm

The bearing of the shifter is simple plastic and if dirt/moist gets in there the result is the shifter gets stiffer at advanced age. If that is the case get yourself a new plastic bearing (or a new shifter). Or dismantle, clean, grease and put it on again.

Brgds
Oliver

jacksgp
Basic User

Postby jacksgp » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:25 pm

Thanks again omg1010. My "to do " list for winter now includes checking/replacing the shrifter bearing!

jacksgp
Basic User

Postby jacksgp » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:32 pm

Just thought you would like to know.......On a short trip not to far from home I downshifted as I approched a traffic circle. Well....after I shifted the clutch lever did not return.
Interesting. As I rode around the circle 4 times thinking what to do I decided to head homeward and made it to the first exit where I stalled the bike because it was in gear. I checked out my bike and the problem was obvious!
A broken clutch cable....right in the lever. I managed to get home buy puting my bike in neutral, jump starting it and shifting to higher gears with no problems.

Fast forward...ordered and installed a new cable and now the bike shifts as smooth as butter. What a difference! No jumping out of gear...sweet

Thank you omg1010 for your advice. I will check for other potential problems and also intend to replace the throttle cables....after all they are 17 years old.

Thanks

Return to “Other BMW Bikes (OBB)”