Help with my new R850R

This forum houses topics related to other BMW bikes that dont have their own forum (s1000r, r9t, K1200R, F800, r1250r, GS, HP2, HP4, F, K bikes, etc), or upcoming machines

Moderator: Moderators

macp
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Help with my new R850R

Post by macp »

Good morning all

New member from the UK just introducing myself and my new hog :D

This is Gretel my 2000 R850R which I only picked up yesterday. Not quite an R1150R but she still goes well and I could not think of a better bike for general use and my commute to work. One job I need to do is replace a rear indicator stem but on quick inspection I cant see how you get to it to replace it. Any help would be much appreciated.

sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: Help with my new R850R

Post by sweatmark »

Congrats, and respect! That's a rare and beautiful machine - all the panache of the R1150R, with a low cholesterol less-filling beautifully balanced 850 motor. I had the earlier R850R based on the 1100, fine bike. Your Gretel will surely ride smooth, sweet, and sophisticated, like a fine Geisha girl.

Rear turn signal stalk: remove screw at back of signal body (facing front in this case), remove orange plastic lens, pry out silver reflector/bulb socket, disconnect the two female terminals, remove reflector, loosen internal mount screws at inside stalk end, separate stalk from turn signal body, loosen stalk mounting nut found under rear subframe (just look under the tail, in recessed area of inner fender, aka Tail Trim), carefully feed wire and connectors back through stalk core, remove stalk.

Installation is reverse order. Savor the moment your turn signal blinks happily.

Celebrate responsibly.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

Sweet! I have never seen or heard of one of those with the exception of the R1100R look-a-like. I'm going to guess those never made it to the U.S.
Enjoy!
Buckster '03R
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

macp wrote:... New member from the UK just introducing myself and my new hog...
By the way, it's common to use a descriptor like "cow", "goat", "mule", or even "pig" when describing a BMW oilhead, but please don't use the word HOG.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
DMM
Lifer
Donating Member #: 725

Post by DMM »

I'm not sure about this, but I suspect that the 850 is essentially the 1150. If so, you may have to remove a few more parts to access the hex nut that holds the stalk. On my bike, it's accessed by removing some of the paneling (side rails and upper/thin side trim panels), remove seat and pillion, remove the brake light housing (opening, not necessarily disconnecting anything). And then you can access the hex nut that holds the stalk.

One note on the side trim: the connection at the rear-most point along the bike is like a button. After removing the screws that hold the trim in place, and disconnecting the clip (mid-way along the piece of trim), then slide the whole piece of trim forward so it can slip out of the "button-hole" connection.
Member #725
macp
Basic User

Post by macp »

sweatmark wrote:Congrats, and respect! That's a rare and beautiful machine - all the panache of the R1150R, with a low cholesterol less-filling beautifully balanced 850 motor. I had the earlier R850R based on the 1100, fine bike. Your Gretel will surely ride smooth, sweet, and sophisticated, like a fine Geisha girl.

Rear turn signal stalk: remove screw at back of signal body (facing front in this case), remove orange plastic lens, pry out silver reflector/bulb socket, disconnect the two female terminals, remove reflector, loosen internal mount screws at inside stalk end, separate stalk from turn signal body, loosen stalk mounting nut found under rear subframe (just look under the tail, in recessed area of inner fender, aka Tail Trim), carefully feed wire and connectors back through stalk core, remove stalk.

Installation is reverse order. Savor the moment your turn signal blinks happily.

Celebrate responsibly.
Thankyou my friend im certainly getting to know her but man they have so much character dont they :D
macp
Basic User

Post by macp »

sweatmark wrote:
macp wrote:... New member from the UK just introducing myself and my new hog...
By the way, it's common to use a descriptor like "cow", "goat", "mule", or even "pig" when describing a BMW oilhead, but please don't use the word HOG.
Understood and sorry I wrote it tongue in cheek and in the middle of a book by an englishman & his wife both riding Harleys across the US called 'good vibrations'.I understand from the book that there are tensions between riders of Japanese bikes & Harleys how are beemers looked upon over there ?
macp
Basic User

Post by macp »

DMM wrote:I'm not sure about this, but I suspect that the 850 is essentially the 1150. If so, you may have to remove a few more parts to access the hex nut that holds the stalk. On my bike, it's accessed by removing some of the paneling (side rails and upper/thin side trim panels), remove seat and pillion, remove the brake light housing (opening, not necessarily disconnecting anything). And then you can access the hex nut that holds the stalk.

One note on the side trim: the connection at the rear-most point along the bike is like a button. After removing the screws that hold the trim in place, and disconnecting the clip (mid-way along the piece of trim), then slide the whole piece of trim forward so it can slip out of the "button-hole" connection.
I think you are right there it has all of the equipment & styling of the 1150.
macp
Basic User

Post by macp »

Buckster wrote:Sweet! I have never seen or heard of one of those with the exception of the R1100R look-a-like. I'm going to guess those never made it to the U.S.
Enjoy!
I dont believe they were available in the US but they are very highly regarded in the UK.