'98 R1100R cat glowing bright red hot by shift pedal

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

tedsalt
Basic User

'98 R1100R cat glowing bright red hot by shift pedal

Post by tedsalt »

Took my R for a five minute ride to pick up an oil filter strap wrench five minutes away, and when I got back it was dark. The bike has been running rough the last week, and smelled a little hot. I park the bike, dismount, look down, and the catalytic converter by the shift pedal is bright red hot. I don't think this is normal. I've heard of the headers being red hot, but not as far back as this point in the exhaust system. Anyone have this happen before?
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: '98 R1100R cat glowing bright red hot by shift pedal

Post by sweatmark »

Something is wrong - bike running too lean. Fuel delivery and/or air leak, e.g. throttle body/intake tube gasket. Perhaps throttle body itself if high miles bikes.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
tedsalt
Basic User

Post by tedsalt »

Found the problem. I had moved the gas tank to give me more room when I adjusted the alternator belt, and probably bumped the throttle cable going into the cable guide into the throttle body by the fuel lines. I think it had started running rough after I adjusted the belt. Popped it back in, and now it's running smooth again! Time for a test ride! :biggrin:
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

tedsalt wrote:Found the problem. I had moved the gas tank to give me more room when I adjusted the alternator belt, and probably bumped the throttle cable going into the cable guide into the throttle body by the fuel lines. I think it had started running rough after I adjusted the belt. Popped it back in, and now it's running smooth again! Time for a test ride! :biggrin:

happens all the time. =D>
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Thankfully in the EU, vehicle testers don't check exhaust emissions on motorbikes, so over this side of the pond we generally ditch the square box cat that lurks beneath the boxer. Have you ever considered how much it weighs ? I can tell you - FIFTEEN Kg ! !
Get rid of it and buy a simple Y-piece. You'll love the difference.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike