Clutch switch removal

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

lvgs
Basic User

Clutch switch removal

Post by lvgs »

Like many, the clutch switch on my R1100R has failed. I have read several threads, primarily related to the RT, on how to remove the switch. The consensus is to clip the wires and use a thin walled, deep 11mm socket. Unfortunately, I have had no luck as the 12 pt deep socket I am using will not even 'bite' the nut as it is too deeply recessed in the curved handle bar. I don't know whether the handle bars are different, but its not oblivious how to get the socket in there.

I've had one serious incident in heavy traffic when the bike stalled and I couldn't find neutral...not fun! Any advice on how best to remove the switch and replace with a new one would be greatly appreciated.
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: Clutch switch removal

Post by kirby »

All that switch does is make continuity between the input wire and the output wire I think. Probably all you really have to do is bypass the switch cutting and fusing them together no?
Swearmark?
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
lvgs
Basic User

Post by lvgs »

kirby wrote:All that switch does is make continuity between the input wire and the output wire I think. Probably all you really have to do is bypass the switch cutting and fusing them together no?
Swearmark?
Thanks Kirby, I understand some would prefer to bypass the switch and enable the bike to start in gear. However, as it means the bike could potentially start without the lever pulled, it is a safety feature I would like to have.
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

I understand! I ride some oldies w/o any interlocks and you have to keep that in mind.

If I remember its like the brake light switch and is best(easiest?) to remove the handlebar/leaver assembly to access the switch. You might try to use something like wd 40 spray to see it is stuck? Ive done that to fix a brake light problem.
The only interlock that I like is the side stand.

merry Christmas
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER