RIMS: wire or 5-spoke rims. straight swap no mods

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

thor77
Basic User

RIMS: wire or 5-spoke rims. straight swap no mods

Post by thor77 »

hey guys
im new to this forum. got my r1100r 98 abs this fall. my first bike. drove it for 2 months before the season ended. its now in the shop for clutch replacement, valve and chains adjustment.

now for the topic

i want to replace the rims. ive spend alot of time on the net trying to figure out the best way about it. some forums state its simple, others its a huge undertaking. so my question are:

are there any rims that will fit on the bike without any modifications?
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: RIMS: wire or 5-spoke rims. straight swap no mods

Post by omg1010 »

I had written about this some years back:

The K1200RS (the flying brick and not the new 4-cylinder!) rear wheel (5") fits the r1100r without any modification! Just plug-on! The front wheel is a different story. You need the wheel of the R1150R (not the one off a Rockster!), the ABS ring of the old R1100S, and new disc rotors dia 305 mm (either the rotors of the old R1100S or some aftermarket rotors - I took those available from Lucas) and the speedo drive of the R1150R. You also need to buy the appropriate fasteners from your dealer as this is special grade steel. Don't buy ordinary screws at your local toolshop! The the left disc-rotor fitting on the wheel 3.9 mm need to be milled away. This is because the ABS ring of the old R1100S (cast metal) is thicker than the ABS-ring of the R1150R (metal sheet). Next mount the disc rotors/ABS ring (loctite!) onto the wheel and your front wheel with the speedo drive to your front fork and you're done ... If you have a non-ABS oilhead it is a different story and more difficult ... Beware that the R1150R front rim is difficult to find hence if you find one be prepared to shell out big $$$

Without ANY modification there are no alternative rims for the R1100R to my knowledge. PICS of my old bike should be still somewhere around here in the forum ... I did lots of other mods on my bike. However sold her many years back and replaced her by the R1200S which I meanwhile also sold.

My later bike was this (also modified):

omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Let me try to recall all i changed on the r1100r.

Front fork R1150 Rockster
Front wheel r1150R powder coated
Brake discs R1100S
Front shock wilbers
R1150R a-arm (telelever)
Wudo fairing
Lsl tubular handlebar conversion
Mirrors R1200C
Oil cooler R1200R
Cylinders r1150 with high comp pistons
Scheffer camshafts and heads and valves polished and finetuned
Conrods weight reduced and polished
R1150 valve covers powder coated
Complete Bodis exhaust system
Rizoma footpegs shifter breaklever
Modified airbox and airfilter and intake manifolds
Rear wheel K1200RS 5.5" powder coated
Ohlins rear shock
Digital Oil temp gauge
Modified comfort seats
Kellemann LED turnsignals front/rear
CFK mudguards front/rear
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

that blue R is art on wheels. :shock:
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Yep she is. And it would be difficult to rebuild one today because some parts are simply unavailable (1150 a-arm, luggage rack, 1150 front wheel, etc).