thoughts on 2011 Classic with $38K miles

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

LeonardoNYC
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

thoughts on 2011 Classic with $38K miles

Post by LeonardoNYC »

Just made an earlier post about my 2009 R12R being totaled. My repair shop said , "Now you get something newer". I told him I love that bike. Perfect for the types of riding I do. I found a 2011 classic with regular/not spoked wheels. Black with the white stripe. Also has
BMW factory "Safety Package"
ABS (anti-lock brakes)
ASC (automatic stability control)
Heated grips
Full Wunderlich BMW fairing
Engine guards
BMW hard side cases
Original tool kit
rear luggage rack
Soft cargo bags
Dominator exhaust and has original exhaust

Owner is 50 years old, 2nd owner, first used it to commute and has 38,000 miles. From photos seems meticulously maintained. Current owner put 3k miles on it 2.5 years. He has all records from previous owner and has only done oil change in two years and says bike runs like a top. Pictures depict a very clean well maintained bike.Stock seat. Asking $5900 with some wiggle room.

Some questions. realize tough to say without seeing service records and the bike in person but
1. Is 38K miles a bit much? I know this engine can go 60K or more before needing major service if maintained well.
2. Not sure if the clutch has been replaced. I went through a clutch at 13K miles on my 09--I live in Manhattan/NYC so lots of shifting and 50% city riding. If the clutch has never been replaced is that something to watch out for? or if it has what's a good
3. Gas gauge non functional I have a letter from BMW saying that my fuel gauge is covered for the life of the bike. Is it same for 2011s?
4. I know the 2011's had a bit of an update in power and some other minor items. Will I notice the difference from my '09?
5. I had a nice aftermarket seat on my 09. Will this fit the 2011 classic?

Advice and tips welcome!
Tigcraft
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Re: thoughts on 2011 Classic with $38K miles

Post by Tigcraft »

What happened to the laced wheels? That to me is the nicest bit that makes the classic, bit like a hot dog with onions, mustard and ketchup but no SAUSAGE!! As for mileage, its a little up on there but looking at it the previous owner formed a lasting bond with it so look at it in a good way and at least hes kept it over that time and its not been through another ten disappointed owners.
LeonardoNYC
Basic User

Post by LeonardoNYC »

Not sure about that. I think the original owner replaced them or that's how the bike was from the dealer. I prefer non spoked as I can use tubeless tires but I know what you mean. I had spokes on my R11R and loved them.
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

That the previous owner had...um...a few years on him (no, I'm not thinking of myself, no not at all, don't even think that) and cared for the bike well is a big positive IMO.

I don't think 38K miles is a lot at all. I've had several go way over 100K with no big issues.

Clutch wear is often a personal thing. I've had bikes go over 100K on the original clutch. Your 13K replaced on the '09 suggests either a manufacturing defect or the possibility that you're hard on clutches. I don't think stop-and-go is a big issue; the issue is getting the clutch fully engaged (lever released) soon. A very experienced dealer principal said that the clutch should be fully released before the bike's traveled its own length. Do that.

I didn't even know the 2011 models had a gas gauge. I thought BMW punted and removed them when the fuel strip chaos came up.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

If you have a letter from BMW saying they will cover the fuel gauge for the 'life' of the bike I really would like a copy of it. I just went over the 12 year limit on my 07 and the strip went. The dealer tells me it will cost $400+ to replace (even though the one in the bike is less than two years old, the BMW part warranty). Replace with a part that everyone knows is defective. :(
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
LeonardoNYC
Basic User

Post by LeonardoNYC »

pretty sure I still have it. It was for my 2009 and my mistake it's 12 years, not the life of the bike. But I just found this online.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/ ... 6-4420.pdf

Hope this helps.