Noise from Michelin Road 5

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Noise from Michelin Road 5

Post by mogu83 »

Just throwing this out to see if I'm the only one.
I noticed a whining noise that seemed to be coming from front end and decided at 140,000 miles it might be the wheel bearings. I installed a set of premium (not internet specials) SKF bearings and the noise was still there. The sound is almost non- existent straight up but gets worse the further over you lean, right and left are the same. Upon further thought I recollected the noise might have started with the new Michelin Road 5 tires.

At the NYC bike show a Michelin guy was there and I asked about noise from the new Road 5 tire. This was around noon and he said I was the third guy that asked the same question. He took a note of the tire size and what bike it was on and said he'd pass it on.

Anyone else have a similar experience.

BTW: The old wheel bearings felt perfectly OK even with 140,000 on them.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
uncle BS
Basic User

Re: Noise from Michelin Road 5

Post by uncle BS »

ARE YOU SAYING YOU have 140,000 miles on an r1200r? what year model?
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Yes those wheel bearings came with the 2007 R1200R, 140,000 miles later when I removed them they were just as tight as the new ones going in.
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
uncle BS
Basic User

Post by uncle BS »

nothing but 60,000 miles of sheer trouble breakdowns on mine. bike hasnt ran 6 straight mths without a glitch despite fanatical maintenance. looking a gas tank - current rusted out - known design failure bmw na wouldnt even talk about it on the phone-- course the abs is out a 2nd time... and on an on 3 fuel pumps- theyre expensive..
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

mogu83 wrote:Just throwing this out to see if I'm the only one.
I noticed a whining noise that seemed to be coming from front end and decided at 140,000 miles it might be the wheel bearings. I installed a set of premium (not internet specials) SKF bearings and the noise was still there. The sound is almost non- existent straight up but gets worse the further over you lean, right and left are the same. Upon further thought I recollected the noise might have started with the new Michelin Road 5 tires.

At the NYC bike show a Michelin guy was there and I asked about noise from the new Road 5 tire. This was around noon and he said I was the third guy that asked the same question. He took a note of the tire size and what bike it was on and said he'd pass it on.

Anyone else have a similar experience.
No Michelin Road 5 tire noise for me - new set installed 5k miles ago on my K. So far so good - moderate but even tread wear, smooth, grippy when warm though I don't trust the edges as much as the Pilot Road 4s previously on that bike (and currently on Rockster).
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

uncle BS wrote:nothing but 60,000 miles of sheer trouble breakdowns on mine. bike hasnt ran 6 straight mths without a glitch despite fanatical maintenance. looking a gas tank - current rusted out - known design failure bmw na wouldnt even talk about it on the phone-- course the abs is out a 2nd time... and on an on 3 fuel pumps- theyre expensive..
Wow - your obviously unhappy with your Beemer. Why do you keep it? Lots of other great bikes out there.
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
uncle BS
Basic User

Post by uncle BS »

been tryin to sell it- gonna have to give it away no resale value whatsoever- 1 of bmw's lil dirty secrets on their bikes.
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Ok I'm kind of done with the Michleins, funny wear pattern even though everything is the same as when I ran PR-III and PR-IV. In the spring I'll need new tires, thinking of Dunlop Roadsmart III. Comments, thoughts or hopefully a review from someone that ran Dunlops.
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
vroomr
Basic User

Post by vroomr »

Been running Roadsmart 3s for some time now. Seem fine, don't notice noise, leaning into turns brings no surprises. Have 9,100 on the current set, may have to replace the rear at 10K but the front will go longer.
Richard
winkeldc
Basic User

Post by winkeldc »

mogu83 wrote:Ok I'm kind of done with the Michleins, funny wear pattern even though everything is the same as when I ran PR-III and PR-IV. In the spring I'll need new tires, thinking of Dunlop Roadsmart III. Comments, thoughts or hopefully a review from someone that ran Dunlops.

Just remembered this thread. I was thinking of trying the road 5's this time. I have been using the conti road attacks (the evo's the last time) and just haven't worn like they used to. I upgraded the suspension, so that kind of makes sense? Maybe. Would you go back to the road 4's?
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

I think the Pilot Road 4's are all GT tires (for the heaver bikes). There might be some regular ones left out there but they would be older tires and i don't need them on my bike. I made the mistake of getting a GT tire once, it was a bear to get on the rim as the side walls are a lot stiffer than the regular tires.

I was talking to the Dunlop guy at the bike show in NYC and he said the Roadsmart was a new line of tire. Their going after the market that up to now has been owned by Metzler and Michelin (the two he mentioned), the sport touring bikes. Their offering them in the sizes we use and keeping the price down, although (IMHO) price isn't a big issue.
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
winkeldc
Basic User

Post by winkeldc »

mogu83 wrote:I think the Pilot Road 4's are all GT tires (for the heaver bikes). There might be some regular ones left out there but they would be older tires and i don't need them on my bike. I made the mistake of getting a GT tire once, it was a bear to get on the rim as the side walls are a lot stiffer than the regular tires.

I was talking to the Dunlop guy at the bike show in NYC and he said the Roadsmart was a new line of tire. Their going after the market that up to now has been owned by Metzler and Michelin (the two he mentioned), the sport touring bikes. Their offering them in the sizes we use and keeping the price down, although (IMHO) price isn't a big issue.
Oh good thing you mentioned that, I was indeed looking at GT pilot 4, not the regular. These rims are hard enough to get the rubber mounted, I really don't want to add to the difficulties. Thanks for the feedback, I just looked at the roadsmart 3 and about $50 cheaper than the michelin's.
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

The Dunlop guy also said they were going to have a sale on them sometime in February.
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
winkeldc
Basic User

Post by winkeldc »

Oh geez, thanks for the heads up on the discount. I'll look for that!
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

FWIW I've got another couple thousand miles on Road 5 set on K1300S, about 6.5k miles, very good wear, excellent wet traction. Feel a bit less grip at rear in dry versus the PR4s last on bike, but I don't push my luck: no traction control and 175HP.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
winkeldc
Basic User

Post by winkeldc »

mogu83 wrote:The Dunlop guy also said they were going to have a sale on them sometime in February.
Thanks for the heads up, I just saw the rebate was posted: https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/o ... aler-2128/