In search of a Low Seat

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Caol
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 574

In search of a Low Seat

Post by Caol »

Hi Folks!

I'm planning to pass my '07 R1200R on to my sister next spring. Unfortunately her inseam is a tad shorter than mine. The bike has the BMW High Comfort Seat on it now, but I'm on the search for a low seat for the machine.

I've checked Beemer Boneyard and they don't have any in stock at the moment and Sierra can get one for a not-so-nominal fee.

So I thought I'd ask around and see what's available

Thanks!

Kyle
2007 R1200R black w/pinstripes
Eagle6
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Re: In search of a Low Seat

Post by Eagle6 »

Have you a local seat guy who could scoop out a section to get it lower.? All the seats use the same base so there's plenty of padding to play around with if you've got the high seat. Just remember that the comfort part is at the top so remove foam from the bottom.
2017 R1200R Exclusive rusted away so back with the real thing 2012 R1200R TC
Caol
Double Lifer

Post by Caol »

May have to go that route. I don't have anyone local, but I know there's one or two around where my sister lives.

I let go my original high seat a few years back, would have been able to use its pan for a custom seat, but it's under somebody else's bum now! ;)

Kyle
Terry Kronlund
Basic User

Post by Terry Kronlund »

On my wife's R we did what the recommended above. She has the standard low seat. The upholsterer was able to reach up from the bottom and pull some foam out. This not only made it lower but more comfortable. She just turned 60,000 on hers and the shocks needed replacement. I installed Hyperpro front and rear shocks that are 1/2 inch lower. Now she is much more comfortable while at a stop and moving the bike around parking lots. My bike had the factory lowering shocks. I replaced mine with standard height and swapped out out kickstand and center stand with hers. . I have the low comfort seat on mine that I wouldn't mind a little taller seat and maybe one that doesn't drop so low in the seat area. The raised up area next to the tank is to high and is not comfortable to me in the lowest pubic area. I am in the Seattle area and if we are close I wouldn't mind trying yours out to see it it fits me better. After reading and reminding me of what we did on my wife seat, maybe thats what I should try doing. My old shocks might also be and option for her. They have around 36,000 miles on them. I replaced them first with standard height shocks that I got cheap on Beemer boneyard to see if I liked the height better. I did so when I replaced mine I went with the standard height. I would sell those lower shocks for $200 plus shipping.
Caol
Double Lifer

Post by Caol »

She can reach the ground (both sides) with this seat, but can't flat foot it.

There are HyperPro ESA shocks at the standard height already on board. Would be very pricey to go to a lowered shock and keep the ESA. So I think it's going to be best for her to have the current seat modified. She lives out East where upholsterers that handle bikes are much more common than where I am. I'm in south eastern BC, kinda in the boonies

Thanks to Eagle6 and Terry!

Kyle