A new addition to the clan....

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

airhead_irl
Basic User

A new addition to the clan....

Post by airhead_irl »

So after doing some research and scanning the classifieds, I picked up a '07 R :D
It has 67,000 kms on the clock and came with full Givi luggage - V35 panniers and top case. It's a no frills model so there's no ABS, computer, ESA, etc etc. It does have heated grips though and a Remus muffler ! It required a new battery as it had been laid up for a while so I fitted a Yuasa YTX14-BS.
Lately, though I've noticed a rough idle and it's prone to cutting out on some down shifts. Blipping the throttle from off-idle seems to create a slight stutter. My guess was to do a TPS reset but I suspect I may have been doing this incorrectly as the symptoms are still present. I've disconnected the battery for now and will attempt a TPS reset once again.
Anyway, here's the machine in question:

dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Re: A new addition to the clan....

Post by dbrick »

Very nice! I like the silver/grey, perhaps even more than my machine's black. If well set up for your weight and riding style, the new one should impress handling-wise.

I've found that an occasional throttle stepper re-adaptation done with a GS-911 (performed midway between each scheduled service) helps keep the idle smooth. While the valve settings are very stable, you must be certain that they're within spec.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
airhead_irl
Basic User

Post by airhead_irl »

That's funny because a black bike was my colour of choice but the silver/grey came up at a good price so I snagged it. I must keep a look out for the "R1200R" stickers that fit on the tank.

I find that's one thing I prefer coming from an Airhead - everything was pretty much DIY. Having to use gizmos like the GS-911 is new to me. They seem to be a pretty expensive piece of equipment ? Is the throttle stepper re-adaptation different from doing a TPS reset ?
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

The R1200R does have an appeal to the airhead folks

Stable Mates:

Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
airhead_irl
Basic User

Post by airhead_irl »

I like that they are both black bikes !! How do you find the screen on the R12R ?
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

airhead_irl wrote:That's funny because a black bike was my colour of choice but the silver/grey came up at a good price so I snagged it. I must keep a look out for the "R1200R" stickers that fit on the tank.

I find that's one thing I prefer coming from an Airhead - everything was pretty much DIY. Having to use gizmos like the GS-911 is new to me. They seem to be a pretty expensive piece of equipment ? Is the throttle stepper re-adaptation different from doing a TPS reset ?
I think it's the same thing.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

The Parabellum Scout has been on the bike almost since the day it rolled out of the showroom. I'm not averse to exploring a dirt road or crossing a stream so the fairing has taken a few good hits over the years (Ok some scratches). Also miles of washboard dirt roads that I'm sure would have destroyed a lesser fairing.
Wind and weather protection are a big plus, and you get more air than an RT. Parabellum says you get better gas mileage, but I can't verify that.
Overall very satisfied.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358