Relay cross reference list

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Riverside
Basic User

Relay cross reference list

Post by Riverside »

Hi,
This post is prompted by someone elses problem, but, possibley something I may have a need for later on. I just moved to Costa Rica about a month ago and my landlord rides a 2007 R1200R GS. He was going to take it for annual inspection here and it would not start. The problem has been diagnosed as a relay. I think he said the one that controls starting and turning on the fuel pump. Now in the US this would be a matter of going to the dealer, or Beemer Boneyard etc and ordering a part and having it the next day or two. Here its different. The only dealer is in San Jose, 3 1/2 hours away and a very poor stock of repair parts. They said they don't have the part he needs. Which leads to my question. I'm relatively sure that BMW Motorad doesn't make relays, but, purchases them from some manufacturer that makes them for numerous other occassions and vehiles.
Does anyone know of a cross reference list that identifies the different part numbers or a generic number for relays and other parts that can be found on the web or anywhere? I know lists like that exist for other automotive parts, but, don't know about relays. What does the brain trust know about such things?
Bob
2004 R1150R - Mad Maxine
Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Re: Relay cross reference list

Post by dbrick »

Hi Bob,

I don't know the answer to your question about relay equivalents. But the stock part isn't awfully expensive, and could (I'm guessing here) be easily mailed to CR.

I think my '07 R is much the same electrically as an '07 GS. The only relay on the bike (other than the extra-circuit one I added to feed my heated jacket liner) is the starter relay. I'd guess this sort of part is the same on US bikes as on bikes sent elsewhere.

Looking at Max BMW's online parts fiche for the '07 1200GS here: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/ ... d=07242017, pane 61-2976 is titled "Various Switches/Relay." The starter relay is BMW p/n 08 61 36 8 373 700, and Max says it's $18.75. Running the part number through eBay also generated a bunch of hits.

-David
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

That PN also comes up on cross-references to various BMW car models - specifically the E30 series, but bet'cha it's used in a lot of BMW models. If there is a BMW automobile dealer they undoubtedly could supply it. Or an auto-parts store with a savy guy behind the counter could cross-reference it to another brand relay. This is a "multipurpose" relay - meaning it can be used for lots of things. Usually there is a diagram molded into the case of the relay that will reveal the pin-outs, and if it has a diode or a resistor for surge-damping when the coil is energized. Using that diagram chances are the guy behind the counter can find an identical relay that they have in stock.

BTW - there is a listing of all the BMW car models that used it at: http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/6 ... 373-700-M9

And a wiring diagram can be seen zoomed in on one of the case photos. It's nothing special - for some reason it has two #87 terminals (in parallel), and it uses a resistor as the surge damper.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Riverside
Basic User

Post by Riverside »

Thanks! I will pass that information on to him and see what he would like to do.
Bob
2004 R1150R - Mad Maxine
Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica