Ohlins modification

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

David R
Basic User

Ohlins modification

Post by David R »

I put a set of Ohlins on my 2012 R1200R.

I found the preload adjuster to be difficult to use and required many turns on the small knob with my big hands.

I then put the original preload adjuster on the new shock. Same thread and banjo bolt.

I now get twice the spring preload travel with much less effort.

I was getting 5.7 mm travel on the preload, now getting 10.75 mm measured with a digital Micrometer.

David
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Re: Ohlins modification

Post by Catchina »

The original preload adjuster works fine for me, but I still have the original shock on my 2011.

Great idea putting the original adjuster on after market shock.

Hi Dave!
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
David R
Basic User

Post by David R »

Hey !

She rides Great, more stable in the corners. Chicken strips are gone.

53,000 miles so farm, going for 100,000

Thought about trading this year, but no more Telelever.

David
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

I like that idea - and I have a spare stock shock I bought off ebay rather inexpensively way back when. I'll have to measure up my Hyperpro and see if they could be exchanged. The Hyperpro has enough adjustment for me (3-4 turns when I load up the bike to ride to California or somewhere interesting) - but - the adjuster on it has gotten harder to use (or I've gotten weaker) with age. I was at EPM-Performance today doing some computer work for Klaus - and we discussed it and realized my Hyperpro shocks now have well over 110,000 miles on them. They were rebuilt at around 90,000 miles - no leaks - but the rear one had lost pressure. New seals and oil and it was ready to go. Still gives a much better experience than the stock ones did.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!