DIY rear brake rotor r-square

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

R12RnHouston
Basic User
Donating Member #: 791

DIY rear brake rotor r-square

Post by R12RnHouston »

At 80k miles it's time. Parts just arrived from Hornig. I'm having a 3" T-40 torx bit machined down and then I'll give it a shot.

07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
R12RnHouston
Basic User

DIY rear brake rotor r-square continued

Post by R12RnHouston »

This a really simple job. In addition to the replacement parts (in my case, Lucus rotor, organic pads, and new bolts from Hornig) you have to craft a long shank T40 torx bit to access the bolts through a recess on the bottom of the final drive. I purchased a 1/2" drive long shank bit on ebay for about $10. I had a machinist turn it down to about 1 cm (it could have been turned down a few mm more, but it worked).

I hit the old bolts for about a minute with a heat gun to release the Loctite. They probably would have broken free without heat (the torque is only 30 nm), but the bit was not completely right-angled to the bolt so I didn't want to risk it. Using a 1/2" drive was a plus as well. I recommend turning the old rotor and breaking the bolts free one at a time, and then removing them in the same fashion.

Off with the old, on with the new...

New bolts, torque to 30 nm in a star pattern, put everything back together, and you're done. Hour and a half tops and that included flushing the rear brake with new dot-4.

Post script. The pads that came off were EBC sintered with over 40K miles and they were still in good shape. I'll hold on to them for spares.
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
Newportcycle
Basic User

Re: DIY rear brake rotor r-square

Post by Newportcycle »

Thanks for taking the time to post.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: DIY rear brake rotor r-square continued

Post by deilenberger »

R12RnHouston wrote:Post script. The pads that came off were EBC sintered with over 40K miles and they were still in good shape. I'll hold on to them for spares.
I can't even begin to guess how many "spare" sets of rear pads I have now.. plus pads from the Lexus, Cayenne, etc. Not so bad I feel OK throwing them away, but too bad to put back on. I've gotta overcome this sickness.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
R12RnHouston
Basic User

Re: DIY rear brake rotor r-square continued

Post by R12RnHouston »

deilenberger wrote:
R12RnHouston wrote:Post script. The pads that came off were EBC sintered with over 40K miles and they were still in good shape. I'll hold on to them for spares.
I can't even begin to guess how many "spare" sets of rear pads I have now.. plus pads from the Lexus, Cayenne, etc. Not so bad I feel OK throwing them away, but too bad to put back on. I've gotta overcome this sickness.
I'll add them to my collection of perfectly serviceable alternator belts and spark plugs.
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS