tires again?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

zackvis
Basic User

tires again?

Post by zackvis »

I want to replace my rear tire only because my front still has 50% thread and shows no signs of bad wear .,is that ok or should i replace both same time.i always replace both at the same time but it seems a bit of a waste of money.I have found the michelin pilot power 3 the best tire for my bike so far ,after using metzler z6 ,michelin pilot road 3 .
happy riding guys
bmw r1200r 09
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: tires again?

Post by mogu83 »

I always replace both,and throw away front tires with a few Ks still on them. But I figure it's money well spent and it feels so nice with new rubber on both ends.
Been using PR 3s since they came out but going to 4s on the next set.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Re: tires again?

Post by Lost Rider »

Generally I replace the front every other rear, as long as it's worn evenly and not cupping.
No doubt fresh rubber all around feels good, but if the front is still round with no issues I don't feel the need to replace it with the rear. With the miles I put on it's not really cost effective and my motorcycle budget isn't endless. :D
There's no right or wrong, just what you want to do.

BTW, I've been running Pilot Power 3's lately and not only do they handle better than anything I've tried in the past in the canyons, I love the way they fall into and pull out of corners compared to "sport touring" tires, I'm also getting more milage from them than anything I've ran before too.
Highly recommended.
Get Lost!