MY R is gone, sold, I'm out

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Acpantera
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

MY R is gone, sold, I'm out

Post by Acpantera »

After 8 great riding seasons and nearly 54,000 miles I have sold my trusty roadster. I have followed this forum since the early 2000s when I bought my first new BMW, and have joined this site when it changed format, the R1150R was a beautiful bike and served me well for 6 seasons. On march 31st 2007 I test rode the new R1200R and took it home that day. The new BMWs have not tickled my fancy, and frankly, all the recent drama of quality issues and BMW becoming less unique(liquid cooling, telescopic forks, single switch turn signals, chain drives etc...), so, I could not see myself buying a BMW just to buy a BMW. So... fair well and ride safe. I have purchased a new 2014 FJR1300ES, it has all the goodies, and is a strong performer(candy red makes it a looker too). I want to thank all that take part in this forum, it has been a wealth of knowledge and experience surpassed by no other.
Thank You
Tom
ASK WHY
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Re: MY R is gone, sold, I'm out

Post by Catchina »

2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Good luck Tom. But you don't need that- it's a Honda.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

hey man, nobody should give you static for the FJR.

ROCK SOLID motorcycle. It was on my list. I actually went and looked at one a coworker was selling, RIGHT Before I bought my 1150r. but it was beat up. Me and yamaha go way back. MY favorite vehicle manufacturer. BIG into their atv's for years.

and I semi agree with the your stance on the new Beemers. they're not really "beemers" as I know them, nothing on them to really shout, "hey Im a beemer" except for its a boxer. again, not to say it's bad, and that I wouldnt ride one...because I do and I would. but...its just missing something. I just hope that SOMETHING, is made up for with dazzling build quality, and longevity, which is a must, now. given the recent shortcomings(that I wasnt aware of until I bought my bike) :/

good luck to you.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

great article!

Id REALLY REALLY REALLY like to see this same comparo with a 50,000 mile update.

see if the bmw is still superior, based on maintenance cost and reliability. hopefully the watercooled business has helped.
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

I bought an FJR a year and 21,000 miles ago. It is a great machine and seems to be rock solid reliable. That being said, I still have my R12R and ride it often. Enjoy your FJR.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
Scota
Basic User

Post by Scota »

Take care and maybe you will come back to us someday ;)
Acpantera
Lifer

Post by Acpantera »

Scota wrote:Take care and maybe you will come back to us someday ;)
I might. Never can tell what the future brings.
ASK WHY
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Since I am not interested in waterhead at all,probably I would take your path-FJR.BUT...my r12r is2012 modell with10,000mls on it it is a new bike still.I love BMW classic boxer!!! Ie.air cooled boxer engine+dry clutch +trany+drive shaft+differential.This is the REAL BMW.Having oil clutch,trany in engine housing is not a BMW anymore -for me.This is my point of view.If I would like something like that,Iwould go with Japanies bikes for a lot less price,period.
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

I am reminded of what the Harley Davidson salesman told me when I asked about the old school guys and the water cooled V twin. He said the only people that don't like it have never ridden it. Our bikes are already supercomplicated with CANbus, fuel injection, etc. These have not been old school boxers for a long time.

That said, there are a LOT of cool bikes out there. I am kind of excited about the Yamaha triple. It will be interesting to see what Triumph comes out with too.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
dbyker
Basic User

Post by dbyker »

Good luck and best wishes ACPantera! I rode an '06 FJR for a couple years, then returned to BMW, first an R12GS and now the R12R. The FJR is an awesome bike - beautiful, reliable, practical, comfortable and awesomely powerful. However, I prefer the BMW lower center of gravity, ease of handling, traditional German attributes and the best clubs & communities anywhere. Still, all riders interested in the FJR should experience one, it is an amazing bike - just not a BMW, which after 37 years on & off with the marque I seem to be stuck on. Best wishes and maybe 'see' you again. Dave
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

jkhomes wrote:the only people that don't like it have never ridden it.

I really dig this quote. :)
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Hi,jkhomes!

Well,what Harley guys telling you,...worth to believe it ..for you.But not for me.I am driving pretty much often my son's F800R,isen't that watercooled???????Sorry-liquid cooled.Please don't tell me I don't know about liquid cooled bikes. ;) I do know exactly what I am talking abouth. :) Maybe one of us need a littlebit more experience on either type of bikes.Probably I do. [-o<

Brgds,Steve H.