walve lash

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Steve H.
Basic User

walve lash

Post by Steve H. »

I can hear a valve noise on my 2012 R1200R at 16,000kms/10,000mls.Checked valve lashes,intakes are right in the middle of specs/0.18mm/exhausts are 0.35mm-right in the middle.Only one I found-2nd.cylinder-right hand side-star board-upper exhaust valve reading is 0.38mm.Shim increments are 0.05mm.If I change it,I am looking to 0.33 valve clearance.What would you do?Please replises!

Thanks
Steve H.
ammolab
Lifer

Re: walve lash

Post by ammolab »

I had a sudden noise (clatter at idle when up to temp) appear at 17,000 miles. Dealer said "don't drive it...cam chain tensioners". Replaced them, noise still. Now "you need the valves adjusted"...all in spec, noise still. Ok, "let us change your oil" ( 1700 miles since last change )...noise still.

They contacted BMW and came up with this: The noise is "normal"

Good luck!
Red 2011 R1200R
Blue 1986 K75C
Steel Grey 2002 M Coupe
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

ammolab wrote:The noise is "normal"
Well I guess they were right... for your bike... for now on.

Any offer to refund the money you paid for the evidently unnecessary work they performed? :badgrin:
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Timing chain noise is different of valve noise.A lot more loud,and boring.Compare to that valve noise is a lot more quet,just it can be heard.Any thougst??
ammolab
Lifer

Post by ammolab »

MTBeemer wrote:
ammolab wrote:The noise is "normal"
Well I guess they were right... for your bike... for now on.

Any offer to refund the money you paid for the evidently unnecessary work they performed? :badgrin:
All done under warranty. Have gone 3000 miles since, didn't blow up yet...noise still there.
Red 2011 R1200R
Blue 1986 K75C
Steel Grey 2002 M Coupe
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

Steve H,
The DOHC Boxer has normal noises very different from the pushrod HexHead and OilHead. Generally speaking, excessive valve clearance tick noise stays the same at any RPM. Timing chain noises vary greatly with the RPM, varying from loud/quiet/loud a few times as you increase/decrease engine speed by thousands of RPMs.

About the decision to change any shim(s), by definition of the word "specification", you do not need to do it unless it is at or outside the lowest or highest acceptable spec. You can change the shim(s) to better center it in the spec range for your own peace of mind. As a fellow concerned mechanic and considering how easy the DOHC Boxer valve clearance is to check, the best plan is to check the valve clearances at half the mileage of the first valve check to establish the base readings. You also get to take a peek at that brilliant DOHC engineering upgrade for the R1200 Boxer engine. For peace of mind and since you may have already missed prior valve adjustments, you could cut the next valve adjustment servicing interval in half and check them again. Either way, it's not something to worry about.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

CycleRob!
Thank you a lot!Your explamation helped me a lot!!
Brgrds,Steve