Another Tire Thread

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

vroomr
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Another Tire Thread

Post by vroomr »

My Roadsmart 2 rear made it to 10K. Seems like an OK comfortable tire, I really cannot tell one from another. Just a data point for the discussion.

I have a knowledgable, fanatical mechanic who also advocates running high tire pressure. My age, butt, and visualization of contact patches choose to ignore that advice.
Richard
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

vroomr wrote:My Roadsmart 2 rear made it to 10K. Seems like an OK comfortable tire, I really cannot tell one from another. Just a data point for the discussion.

I have a knowledgable, fanatical mechanic who also advocates running high tire pressure. My age, butt, and visualization of contact patches choose to ignore that advice.
That's the Dunlop RoadSmart 2? I believe I had these on the rental bike I had in Europe. Looking at them I was somewhat concerned with wet-weather traction, but in use they seemed just fine. Had several rainy days including some Autobahn traveling at high speeds and some Alps pass rides with wet pavement. Seemed to work quite well. Won't say I'll give up on Michelin PR4's - but if the price was right and the wear report is as good as you say.. I'd consider them.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

I can now vouch for the Pirellis from personal experience. The Angel GT's definitely out perform the Michelin Pilot Road 3's I had. I like them a lot. A whole lot. There is some trade-off on longevity and rain performance, but coupled with my upgraded Yacugar suspension from Ted's and my F800ST handlebars, it is a super great sporty bike.

The police department here just started using the Dunlops on all their RTP's. So my dealer will have some good info on how they are holding up. He thinks the Pirellis will last longer than the Dunlops, which were my 2nd choice.

If you don't push it in the curves, the Michelins are still a great choice. But these Pirellis are a LOT of fun.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

jkhomes wrote:
If you don't push it in the curves, the Michelins are still a great choice. But these Pirellis are a LOT of fun.
Amen brother!!
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD