Tires for R1200R, need a little DS

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

SDMAX
Basic User

Tires for R1200R, need a little DS

Post by SDMAX »

Heading for Alaska from Southern California in June. On my second set of PR3's now.

In Alaska I'm goint to need a little dual sport capability. I'm thinking Pirelli Scorpion Trail.

I'm thinking TKC80's but I think that's overkill. Well over 90 percent of what I"ll be doing in Alaska will be paved; although there's lots of construction that's gravel crap for more that a few miles.

Then there is apparently Michelin PR3 Trails....can't find much on them.

I know I need something more than my road PR3's once I get to Anchorage as plan from Anchorage includes Dust to Dawson in the Yukon and about 100 miles of crap roat just before the border to Canada.

Thanks in advance. John
SDMAX
Basic User

Re: Tires for R1200R, need a little DS

Post by SDMAX »

Been looking further on the interweb: Continental Trail Attack, Continental TKC 80; and Pirelli Scorpion Trail seem to be the only ones that fit. So far I like the Scorpion Trail best.
AlecMyrddyn
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1022

Post by AlecMyrddyn »

SDMAX wrote:Then there is apparently Michelin PR3 Trails....can't find much on them.
I think I read that the rear tire has a wider center of the harder tread compound, and that's the only difference...

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php?topic=5369.0
SDMAX
Basic User

Post by SDMAX »

I really liked what I read about the PR3 TRAIL; I am on PR3's now; unfortunately they do not seem to make the PR3 TRAIL in sizes that fit my 2007 R1200R which takes:

Front 120 70 ZR 17 and

Back 180 55 ZR 17

Seems that Pirrelli Scorpion, Continental TKC 80 and Continental Trail Attacks will fit.

My son, with whom I'll be riding, lives in Anchorage waiting for the thaw and he's all gunned up with TKC 80's on his Triumph 1050.

I have a "roadie" verstion of the new Triumph 800 with Scorpion Trails on it now; they seem to be a good tire, I just need some dual sport capability for a short stretch of crap road I know about from Tok Alaska to the Canadian border on way to Dawson; I've ridden a lot in Alaska, most all paved stuff; not interested in fire roads etc.

I'm leaning toward the Scorpions as the TKC 80's just look too aggressive . . .