new light grey R- she has finally arrived!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

atractaspis
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 1059

new light grey R- she has finally arrived!

Post by atractaspis »

She is finally here! My brand new light grey R1200R :)

I didn't get to see her coming out of the crate..but right after and was the first one to get to start her yesterday. Since there was still ice on the roads, today was the first time I was able to take her for a short ride. I am in love! :smt055

I had trouble getting the pictures uploaded here.. so I here is a link to the flickr album with the pics of my brand new bike still at the dealer (pictures are not that great..taken with my phone). I also took a picture of an f800gt that had just arrived as well. Really liked it! If I hadn't already fallen for the R, I would have gotten that bike! There are also pictures of my Thailand and Bali trip on flickr.. feel free to check those out too..some fun scooter pics from both countries as well as pics from the Ducati and BMW dealer in Bangkok, Thailand.

Here is the link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/atractaspi ... hotostream
Donating Member #: 1

Re: new light grey R- she has finally arrived!

Post by Bamblys »

Congrats on a new bike!! It looks beautiful.
I haven't yet went to a dealer to look at the new colors but this light gray in pictures always looks white to me.
Can you kinda mistake it for a white? If there's no real white right next to it?
atractaspis
Double Lifer

Post by atractaspis »

Bamblys wrote:Congrats on a new bike!! It looks beautiful.
I haven't yet went to a dealer to look at the new colors but this light gray in pictures always looks white to me.
Can you kinda mistake it for a white? If there's no real white right next to it?
It actually looks different depending on light. It is more of a grey when it's darker and kind of a more white color in the light. I wasn't sure if I would like the color, but I love it now that I saw it in person. I will try and get a picture of it next to a white BMW.

Most dealers seem to get the montego blue or classic model. My dealer has two blue ones and one classic one. The other dealer close to me only has the 2013 classic color so far.
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

atractaspis wrote:
Bamblys wrote:Congrats on a new bike!! It looks beautiful.
It actually looks different depending on light. It is more of a grey when it's darker and kind of a more white color in the light. I wasn't sure if I would like the color, but I love it now that I saw it in person. I will try and get a picture of it next to a white BMW.

Most dealers seem to get the montego blue or classic model. My dealer has two blue ones and one classic one. The other dealer close to me only has the 2013 classic color so far.
Beautiful bike. Looks like a creamy white to me too, though. :lol:
atractaspis
Double Lifer

Post by atractaspis »

SF_Hooligan wrote: Beautiful bike. Looks like a creamy white to me too, though. :lol:
I know.. it's really hard to see the true color on pictures.. but you can ask Lost Rider.. he saw one in person too and said it was actually grey. :D

By the way I will be up in your part of the country in May... not with my bike though :( .. but I am thinking of renting an R12 at that rental place you suggested! Am very exited about that.. I will probably PM you before I go there and see if there are any routes you would suggest for a 2-3 hour ride. (am going to be a little bit limited on time while in SF).

Post by scooterme »

atractaspis wrote:She is finally here! My brand new light grey R1200R :)
Congrats, she's a beauty. I want to see that color in person.
ImageImage
atractaspis
Double Lifer

Post by atractaspis »

I was finally able to get some pictures up on the forum directly (pictures are taken with my phone)

Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

Very nice. I really like the instrument layout - it's just right while the old one is just stupid.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
atractaspis
Double Lifer

Post by atractaspis »

mogu83 wrote:Very nice. I really like the instrument layout - it's just right while the old one is just stupid.
I agree about the instrument layout. I prefer the newer version as well. I was surprised that the brand new f800gt (they had two of those that arrived with my bike) has the same instrument layout as the 800st and the older R12R has. Kind of takes away from the new look of the otherwise really pretty 800gt.
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

mogu83 wrote:Very nice. I really like the instrument layout - it's just right while the old one is just stupid.
Better than the older style, but deleting the dull metal instrument rims would improve things.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

Congratulations, what a beauty. I'd never seen a 0 odometer in the instruments.

Seen close, I can't help thinking the redesigned instrument cluster on the 2011+ models looks like the lovechild of Johnny-5 and Wall-E.

Bill
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

atractaspis wrote: I know.. it's really hard to see the true color on pictures.. but you can ask Lost Rider.. he saw one in person too and said it was actually grey. :D

By the way I will be up in your part of the country in May... not with my bike though :( .. but I am thinking of renting an R12 at that rental place you suggested! Am very exited about that.. I will probably PM you before I go there and see if there are any routes you would suggest for a 2-3 hour ride. (am going to be a little bit limited on time while in SF).
Nice! Lots of good riding in two or three hours around SF - north or south. Definitely hit me up when you're out this way, I might even be able to ride with you.
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

Let me know if there's room for another when you're here and I'll join you.
atractaspis
Double Lifer

Post by atractaspis »

Snapping Twig wrote:Let me know if there's room for another when you're here and I'll join you.
I will PM you as well once I get ready to head out there.. will most probably be in SF from May 5-8, after that I am driving (in a cage though :( ) down the Pacific Coast Highway to stay with a friend in L.A. for two days.
Double Lifer

Post by atractaspis »

One question: has anyone here have their side bags painted (the outer cover part) to match the bikes color? I saw it on some pictures (can't remember where anymore..was a while ago).. just wondering how easy/difficult it is to have that done professionally and how much it would cost.
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Post by Karamazov »

A couple of members had theirs done. I had looked into it on my first R12R and never got to it before it was totaled. I'm now considering it again on my '12.

Here's an older thread that addresses it, with pics:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13441&p=120735

You could take them in to nearly any auto body shop and have them painted to match. If you shop around, I bet you could find someone to do it pretty reasonably - it's a small job.
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
atractaspis
Double Lifer

Post by atractaspis »

great! thanks for the info and the link to the thread!

Post by ron prior »

atractaspis wrote:She is finally here! My brand new light grey R1200R :)

I didn't get to see her coming out of the crate..but right after and was the first one to get to start her yesterday. Since there was still ice on the roads, today was the first time I was able to take her for a short ride. I am in love! :smt055

I had trouble getting the pictures uploaded here.. so I here is a link to the flickr album with the pics of my brand new bike still at the dealer (pictures are not that great..taken with my phone). I also took a picture of an f800gt that had just arrived as well. Really liked it! If I hadn't already fallen for the R, I would have gotten that bike! There are also pictures of my Thailand and Bali trip on flickr.. feel free to check those out too..some fun scooter pics from both countries as well as pics from the Ducati and BMW dealer in Bangkok, Thailand.

Here is the link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/atractaspi ... hotostream

Congrats !! beautiful motorcycle. I'm thinkin' satin, perhaps even glossy black P/coated wheels. and a 4-5 inch three piece "Le'Mans" stripe, down center of fender & tank?
atractaspis
Double Lifer

Post by atractaspis »

ron prior wrote: Congrats !! beautiful motorcycle. I'm thinkin' satin, perhaps even glossy black P/coated wheels. and a 4-5 inch three piece "Le'Mans" stripe, down center of fender & tank?
Thank you. Color-wise I think I will leave the bike as is for now :lol: .. but I think I might look into painting the lids for the side cases and maybe top case.
Lifer

Post by BigEasy »

atractaspis wrote:One question: has anyone here have their side bags painted (the outer cover part) to match the bikes color? I saw it on some pictures (can't remember where anymore..was a while ago).. just wondering how easy/difficult it is to have that done professionally and how much it would cost.
If you bought it at Falcone talk to Jeff in the service dept. their group owns a body shop down the street across from the Vdub store and they can do it.
Play Harrd and Floor It- Stevie Ray Vaughn
Currently:
07 R1200R
07 XB12STT
10 FLHTP
12 Wee Strom ADV