6K Service Disappointment

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

BLAIR1200R
Basic User

6K Service Disappointment

Post by BLAIR1200R »

Took the bike in for the 6K service interval.

Got the bike back with the oil overfilled (site glass completely full), clock was off by two hours,  front tire over inflated by 4 lbs, rear under by 3 lbs.

I'm going to drain the oil down to the correct visual, then recheck after a good warmup ride.

Am I expecting too much from a BMW dealership service dept.?

Maybe it's just me, but if I was a technician, I don't think I could let a bike go out the door with basic check points out of tolerance... factory spec tire pressure and oil? ...asking too much?

Sorry for the rant...
bLaIr1200R
2012 Grey Matt R1200R
"The universe rings true wherever you fairly test it."
Neil
Lifer
Donating Member #: 918

Re: 6K Service Disappointment

Post by Neil »

Blair I do not know were you are but if you were in Melbourne Australia yes you are expecting to much my dealer took 5 hours to swap a fuel tank on my R1200R they needed an extra day on your bike to cheque the tires and reset the clock
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by omg1010 »

Blair, if I was you I'd complain about this to BMW North America cc the stealer. And secondly I'd change the stealer as fast as possible - if possible. It is intolerable if such basic things are not properly being taken care of.

Brgds
Oliver
slowtorque
Lifer

Post by slowtorque »

All the more reason to learn to do it yourself. No, I am not surprised, but I do feel for ya.
Johnny

04 R1150R GONE
10 R1200R GONE
Woland
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Woland »

BLAIR1200R wrote:Took the bike in for the 6K service interval.

Got the bike back with the oil overfilled (site glass completely full), clock was off by two hours,  front tire over inflated by 4 lbs, rear under by 3 lbs.

I'm going to drain the oil down to the correct visual, then recheck after a good warmup ride.

Maybe it's just me, but if I was a technician, I don't think I could let a bike go out the door with basic check points out of tolerance... factory spec tire pressure and oil? ...asking too much?

Sorry for the rant...
What did the dealer say when you confronted them?
BLAIR1200R
Basic User

Post by BLAIR1200R »

What did the dealer say when you confronted them?
They're located about an hour from the house, but I want to talk to the Service Mgr in person, so over the weekend I'll take a ride back out.

I just want to provide the feedback so he at least has a chance to improve the service... no harm done (...at least, I hope the overfill didn't damage something?)

On the positive side, it made me go out and buy the 8mm hex for my torque wrench for the drain plug :D .... SPEAKING OF THAT, the initial torque on the plug is 23nm, then final 32nm ... correct?
Thanks !
bLaIr1200R
2012 Grey Matt R1200R
garr2
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 781

Post by garr2 »

I just want to provide the feedback so he at least has a chance to improve the service...
You're right - they need to know (and should want to know) about any shoddy work that goes out from their shop.

All the more reason to learn to do it yourself.
A lot of us got started on DIY after similar experiences. It aint rocket science!
This forum has been my best resource for DIM.

Ian
60% of the art of conversation is knowing when to say nothing
Bill Stevenson
Lifer
Donating Member #: 701

Post by Bill Stevenson »

Almost every bike comes into the shop with low tire pressures and low oil level. The techs assume we are all a bunch of dolts. Over inflating tires and filling the oil up to the top of the sight glass are reactions to the majority of their dumb ass customers. I think you should bring your complaints the the attention of the service manager and he will then know that you are one of the very few customers who is taking care of his bike. You are not the norm, believe me.

Bill
ammolab
Lifer

Post by ammolab »

How much did they charge you for this service? I said "goodbye" to my W. Houston Dealer when he told me that the
6000 mile service was 4.5hrs labor.

I can only wonder how good your throttle sync is after that kind of 'caring service'. (sarcasm)
Red 2011 R1200R
Blue 1986 K75C
Steel Grey 2002 M Coupe
Bamblys
Basic User

Post by Bamblys »

ammolab wrote:How much did they charge you for this service? I said "goodbye" to my W. Houston Dealer when he told me that the
6000 mile service was 4.5hrs labor.

I can only wonder how good your throttle sync is after that kind of 'caring service'. (sarcasm)
I'm ashamed to admit i paid $375 or so for my 6000 mile service at Countryside, IL.
Next purchase - a Service Manual and whatever else i need. They told me 12K service is even more expensive.
garr2
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 781

Post by garr2 »

Next purchase - a Service Manual and whatever else i need.
Try thishttp://www.jimvonbaden.com/ A good place to start. IMHO well worth the $25. An audiovisual run through followed by a look at the many free pictorial walk-throughs available on this and other forums creates the confidence to have a go.
I have just finished a 120000 km service on my 1150 that included changing the engine, transmission & final drive oils, air & fuel & oil filters, spark plugs, alternator belt, adjusting the tappets, synching the TBs. I also bled the wheel circuits of the ABS brake system - because it was due. All this taking my time and with my trusty internet instructions by my side.
After an initial outlay for tools (eg oil filter removal tool, torque wrench, torx set etc) and a small inventory of service parts (spark plugs, gaskets, filters) you'll be saving money. But more importantly the quality of your services will always be better than a dealer's.
I still (sadly) take my bike to a dealer for major mechanical work but routine services I do myself. And I started out mechanically challenged.

Ian
Last edited by garr2 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
60% of the art of conversation is knowing when to say nothing
def
Basic User

Post by def »

garr2 wrote:
Next purchase - a Service Manual and whatever else i need.
Try thishttp://www.jimvonbaden.com/ A good place to start. IMHO well worth the $25. An audiovisual run through followed by a look at the many free pictorial walk-throughs available on this and other forums creates the confidence to have a go.
I have just finished a 120000 km service on my 1150 that included changing the engine, transmission & final drive oils, air & oil filters, spark plugs, alternator belt, adjusting the tappets, synching the TBs. I also bled the wheel circuits of the ABS brake system - because it was due. All this taking my time and with my trusty internet instructions by my side.
After an initial outlay for tools (eg oil filter removal tool, torque wrench, torx set etc) and a small inventory of service parts (spark plugs, gaskets, filters) you'll be saving money. But more importantly the quality of your services will always be better than a dealer's.
I still (sadly) take my bike to a dealer for major mechanical work but routine services I do myself. And I started out mechanically challenged.

Ian
:smt023

JVB sells very good DVDs that detail all of your service procedures.
I'm an old man...leave me alone
def
Basic User

Post by def »

Sorry for the rant...
I would drain all the oil from the engine into a clean container then ad back 3 quarts. That will be 3 quarts of oil in the sump plus a full filter, more than enough oil for a boxer. Adjust as needed after a thorough warm up and sitting overnight on the center stand with oil at mid glass. And yes, do notify the dealer that you are dissatisfied with the service your received. I am going to assume we're talking about BMW of Ft. Worth with whom I have no experience. There are other dealers in Texas. Lone Star BMW in Austin is excellent and you can lunch at the Oasis while overlooking Lake Travis once you're done.
BLAIR1200R
Basic User

Post by BLAIR1200R »

How much did they charge you for this service? I said "goodbye" to my W. Houston Dealer when he told me that the 6000 mile service was 4.5hrs labor.
2.1 labor hours, parts $58 (4qts oil, filter, seal) for a total of $265 ...now I wonder if they touched the TBs ?

Thanks all for the recommendations... I know this is a touchy subject based on the posts from this and other forums, but it's a disappointment when the bike is a wonderful product, the owners are top shelf (based largely on my experience with this forum)... would like to find a dealer with service standards to match.

Austin you say?.... hummmm, interesting....
bLaIr1200R
2012 Grey Matt R1200R
Clem
Basic User

Post by Clem »

.... SPEAKING OF THAT, the initial torque on the plug is 23nm, then final 32nm ... correct? YES! Correct 32nm
(MAX video went directly to 32nm torque in one step. But 23nm, then 32nm should be just fine, too.IMO)
sky_sailor
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by sky_sailor »

It's a well known fact that a dealer makes a very small percentage of their income on bike sales. The $$money$$ is in the back. Milking folks who "think" their warrantee depends on having their dealer do all the service work. If I followed the manufacturer's "recommended" service intervals on my wife's new CRv, I'd have to take out a second mortgage!
When in doubt, chicken out...
def
Basic User

Post by def »

Remember, here in the US, the owner can perform all service on his/her BMW without voiding the warranty. Document all work with photos and notes, preserve receipts for parts and/or consumables used during the service and don't be afraid to ask the dealer or members here or at other sites about a procedure you may not understand. I obtained the REProm CD for my model only days after I took delivery of the bike.

I do all my own service on my 2001 BMW R1150GS and have since the one and only dealer service, the 600 mile head retorque. Then, I began "hanging around" my dealer (they were close by my work location so I often took McDonalds to the techs in the back) and getting all kinds of helpful info. One of the techs gave me a brand new rear u-joint for my model. It was taking up room in his tool box. I have seen the inside of many oilheads, transmissions and final drives. Have even helped diagnose an intermittent problem that the tech could not pin down (turned out to be a defective Motronic ECU...the one and only Motronic I have ever seen fail).

Since I left the Houston area years ago, I have not been inside a BMW Motorrad store/shop.

There is no doubt with some study, a reasonable tool assortment and a little help from your friends, you can become as proficient at maintaining and repairing your BMW as a dealer tech, especially the boxer.

And with JVB DVDs, folks post how easy Jim makes it to DIY boxer service.

Wrenching your own equipment is fun and you can save some big money. An oil change on my '01 GS costs me less than $35.00 and I use Mobil1 15w-50 synthetic oil and an aftermarket filter (Purolator). Non-synthetic oil changes can be done for less than $20.00. Brake fluid flush cost is less than $5.00. Change transmission and FD oil for less than $15.00. Change the in tank fuel filter in a couple hours for less than $50.00. A new alternator belt installed for $23.00.

Most BMW shops these days charge a rate north of $70.00 for labor. My BMW tool investment is less than $100.00 (not counting the torque wrench I use when installing the rear wheel bolts).

Oh, by the way, I trust my work more than I trust the work of others....nuf' said.
def
Basic User

Post by def »

Sorry for the rant...
Human nature...the tech is working on a machine that belongs to somebody else. Also, these days, some of the young techs have no job well done pride. Its do the work, get the paycheck...quality is not a factor.
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

Bamblys wrote: I'm ashamed to admit i paid $375 or so for my 6000 mile service at Countryside, IL.
Next purchase - a Service Manual and whatever else i need. They told me 12K service is even more expensive.

The SAME douchebags from Chicago BMW, same service manager, same rip-off service work.
I must thank them though, they inspired me to do the work myself after ripping me off time and time again, then installing the wrong bearing on my rear wheel on my GS and then denying even working on the bike after the failure on my way to Alaska.... and I haven't looked back. Been a while since they went out of business.... but f*ck Chicago BMW, now Countryside BMW! :badgrin:

Sorry to hear of your all too common experience Blair, all you need is a service manual ($10 ebay copy from Canada works great) and a few simple tools. Buy the nicer torque wrench... The JBV video can be helpful, but his specs aren't to be trusted IMO, just look at all his "corrections" on his site, make sure you have the BMW RepRom and go off that where it matters. Most of the info is right here for free (or a small member donation).

Here's some of the many DIY's on this forum.

http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?f ... hilit=+diy

Get Lost!
Bamblys
Basic User

Post by Bamblys »

Lost Rider wrote:
The SAME douchebags from Chicago BMW, same service manager, same rip-off service work.
I must thank them though, they inspired me to do the work myself after ripping me off time and time again, then installing the wrong bearing on my rear wheel on my GS and then denying even working on the bike after the failure on my way to Alaska.... and I haven't looked back. Been a while since they went out of business.... but f*ck Chicago BMW, now Countryside BMW! :badgrin:
The service manager is a douche and proud of it but the sales team are good ppl over there.

I bought the JBV dvd should be here on monday, but i think i need a real service manual. Where does one get it? I have a 2012 model and a google can only find up to '09.