Dog Days of Summer

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

BLAIR1200R
Basic User

Dog Days of Summer

Post by BLAIR1200R »

Today was the first day in…well, I can’t recall the last time I haven’t commuted to work on the R12R. I needed to run some errands during the day and didn’t want to come back to work soaked.

To my amazement I discovered that I would rather ride home in 105 degrees than drive home in my truck... and I love my truck. :smt004

The temps in North Texas have been in triple digits for over a week at least, but the mornings are fantastic. On Tuesday the outside temp registered 79 degrees for about a minute as I passed through a long low spot between hills… big smile behind the visor.

I’m coming up fast on my 6K service interval (about 5400). I’ve used about 1.5 quarts of oil between the 600 mile service and now. Seems a bit late to get worried about the heat, but do you think I should give the bike a break during these brutally hot afternoons?... maybe just try and get it serviced now, instead of waiting until the 6K mark?

Last comments about the heat – If you want to remove the R1200R graphics from the tank, just set it out in the noon sun for 30 min (but you need to be in Tejas)...it turned the sticker removal into a 5 min job. I also removed some of the other stickers on the forks and frame which also came off quickly (but in pieces) … I don’t like stickers.

Cheers and thanks in advance for your feedback…
bLaIr1200R
2012 Grey Matt R1200R
"The universe rings true wherever you fairly test it."
ipokebadgers
Lifer
Donating Member #: 913

Re: Dog Days of Summer

Post by ipokebadgers »

I know what you mean. 106 today and yesterday and I still prefer the bike. Every time I drive I end up wishing I had been on the bike.
2007 R1200R
2000 K1200LT(Gone)
1978 R100S (Gone but not forgotten)
slowtorque
Lifer

Post by slowtorque »

BLAIR1200R wrote:To my amazement I discovered that I would rather ride home in 105 degrees than drive home in my truck... and I love my truck.
I hear ya, man. I have a 60 mile round trip commute on moderately travelled, two lane country roads. I'd rather sweat and/or get rained on than drive my car (and I drive a Lexus 8) 8) ).
Johnny

04 R1150R GONE
10 R1200R GONE
karamazov2
Basic User

Post by karamazov2 »

Agreed. I can either carpool or take the bike for my commute. I shave a good 5-7 minutes off taking the bike - and to be honest, I rather enjoy zipping through traffic in the morning. On especially hot days, it's moderately annoying to arrive to work a little sweaty, but in the afternoons, I'd rather be on the bike any day, even in the 100's.
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

Last week I came through Tioga Pass on Rt120 through Yosemite, it was 39 degrees. Three hours later I was half way across Neveda on Rt6 (heading East), it was 109 degrees.
It was hot but in 30 days (8,000+ miles) on the road I only ran into rain twice, once by Barstow (go figure - in the desert)and again by the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

mogu83 wrote:... and again by the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.
Huzzah, Route 50! That road goes all the way from Ocean City, Md., to San Francisco -- the "Loneliest road in America". Some buddies and I got a rental car and drove it in a week in September 2002. Eastern Utah is jaw-dropping. We flew back non-stop from OAK to IAD, nonstop, for $99 each. What a trip.

I'd love to take the R12R out and back on Route 50 some day. Here's a stretch in the relative straights of West Virginia:

Bill
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

That was part of the 'mission' - to finish off Rt50 and I can now scratch that off the bucket list. Also did a good chunk of the 'old' Rt66, i rode it for a while but then moved over to 44/40. While riding across Nevada's vast nothingness I was thinking about how many great people I've met and great things I've seen while holding on to a set of handlebars.
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
psycle.vt

Post by psycle.vt »

Ah Rt 50 - did it in 2010 on the way back from Redmond - Sacramento to St Louis. Gave up in IL due to towns every couple of miles. I need to do the W VA portion sometime. Only rain was a bit in the CO mountains. Thought of doing it this time on the way back from MOA Rally in MO (via AR, LA, MS (Natchez Trace :), TN, KY, OH), but not enough time. Maybe when I retire (hopefully soon)
Stuck in NJ
Cy Young/VT (now NH)
13 R1200R (BLUE - the latest PSYCLE)
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

The mascot from the 3,200-mile trip, the hauling ass. Route 50 on the R1200R during the Dog Days would be a terrific journey.
I’m coming up fast on my 6K service interval (about 5400). I’ve used about 1.5 quarts of oil between the 600 mile service and now. Seems a bit late to get worried about the heat, but do you think I should give the bike a break during these brutally hot afternoons?... maybe just try and get it serviced now, instead of waiting until the 6K mark?
Blair, I don't think it'd make a difference. I'd do it when your schedule allows. Sorry to hijack your thread. :)
Bill
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Next year the BMWRA rally is at the Biltmore (near Asheville) maybe you can work W.Virginia Rt50 into your trip. The W.Vir part(West of Rt81) makes up for all the mindnumbing parts out West.
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
KMalo
Basic User

Post by KMalo »

mogu83 wrote:That was part of the 'mission' - to finish off Rt50 and I can now scratch that off the bucket list. Also did a good chunk of the 'old' Rt66, i rode it for a while but then moved over to 44/40. While riding across Nevada's vast nothingness I was thinking about how many great people I've met and great things I've seen while holding on to a set of handlebars.
For those of you keeping a bucket list of roads, I recommend the Lincoln Highway. I ran it in two segments a few years back (Time Square in NYC to Illinois; Illinois to San Franciso's Lincoln Park).

Best not to be in a big hurry, though. It takes some sleuthing to find some portions of the old routes. And a few portions just don't exist at all in any form. I think I managed to cover about 95% of the existing segments. I need to get back to the Lincoln and find those last few pieces.

Called "America's Main Street" it displays the best of some neat old towns across the country. Mostly paved, though a few short stretches of packed dirt.

Chuck
Chuck DeSantis
11 R1200R
75 850 T3
73 Eldo Project
K75C <RIP>
K1100LT <Sold>
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Sorry about 'stealing' the thread but I guess collecting roads on a R1200R (Roadster content) is kind of a summer thing. I've also done most of Rt30 (in various forms) and most of the 'old roads' this side of the Big Muddy. One of my Canadian friends is working on a plan to do Rt1 from Fort Kent Maine to Key West. As the original road ran through most of the major (and many minor) towns along the East coast I think he is bitting off more than he can chew, but he's on a mission and he's kind of young, so maybe he has enough time to do it.

Collecting roads is fun and a great reason to go for a ride, but it's always reassuring to find someone else that is afflicted with this disorder. At least I know I'm not alone.

A great book for road collectors is 'The Big Roads' by Earl Swift. A friend gave it to me and I found it informative and enjoyable. It tells the hows and whys of the roads we have today. It also relates how the Germans got the idea and many of the engineering features for their super roads from us, and that Eisenhower was more or less just a cheerleader for work that others began decades before the war.

2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
BLAIR1200R
Basic User

Post by BLAIR1200R »

No worries on the highjack ... fascinating to hear folks tell about roads less traveled.
Makes me want to take some time off. A buddy of mine and I are working up an October moto-camping trip to make up for our busted spring ride… hopefully we’ll get in a good trip then.

Be safe, good riding...
bLaIr1200R
2012 Grey Matt R1200R
R12RnHouston
Basic User
Donating Member #: 791

Post by R12RnHouston »

I’m jonesing for a motorcycle-camping trip too. I have one last chance next week before the fall semester starts. Heading for Davis Mountains State Park and then possibly on to the Chisos Basin campground. I camped at DMSP last August and the temps at night dipped down into the high 50s. The hiking, birding, and local riding are fantastic.

I just have to endure that trek across the Lone-Star state to get there.
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
BLAIR1200R
Basic User

Post by BLAIR1200R »

I’m jonesing for a motorcycle-camping trip too. I have one last chance next week before the fall semester starts. Heading for Davis Mountains State Park and then possibly on to the Chisos Basin campground.
Hope you made the trip! We've been to the Davis Mtns and Big Bend many times, but never on a bike.

Brave ride in this heat, hope all is well...
bLaIr1200R
2012 Grey Matt R1200R