The R1200R Photo Discussion Thread!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

The R1200R Photo Discussion Thread!

Post by Lost Rider »

To keep in line with forum rules and after discussing it with the Mods, we thought we could start a new Photo Thread to share images of the Roadster and discuss them. :D
No strict guidelines, lets just keep the SPIRIT of this being the place to share and discuss images of the BMW R1200R.
Feel free to share any info about the camera used, location, bike accessories, etc. If a single topic starts to take over, you can always start a new thread on the topic or at the very least add your own images to keep with spirit of this thread.
I also believe that we should feel free to repost any favorite images from the other Photo thread here, especially since it's winter...

By posting photos in this thread you are giving permission for the photos to be used elsewhere on this site or for the yearly non-for-profit R1200R calendar!

Next time you go for a ride, don't forget your camera!

Here's a couple photos of my bike when she was brand new to get this started.

These where taken in or around Chicago in the Spring of 07'..... my how time fly's by!

Last edited by Lost Rider on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Get Lost!
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Re: The R1200R Photo Discussion Thread!

Post by angellr »

Great pics!! Can hardly wait for the R12 metamorphosis.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Aw shucks. I already went and complained about being shushed in the other thread.

Anyway, I like to talk about bikes as well as look at them so in the interest of making this new thread the de facto "post pics and discuss 'em" spot, here are some shots of my bike.

Above Kinney Reservoir on an Ebbetts/Monitor/Sonora Passes loop last fall.

Somewhere in the oddly named "town" of Chinese Camp, CA which apparently consists mostly of abandoned buildings.

On the way up Sonora Pass.

Mono Lake.

Tioga Pass.

Somewhere south of Monterey on Highway 1, CA.
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

First of all, thanks for joining us in the Freedom Photo Thread! :lol:

Is that a go pro mounted? how does it handle the vibes? Or is that new, snazzy cam-head engine vibration free?
Get Lost!
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Lost Rider wrote:First of all, thanks for joining us in the Freedom Photo Thread! :lol:

Is that a go pro mounted? how does it handle the vibes? Or is that new, snazzy cam-head engine vibration free?
Hah! Freedom! =D>

It vibes a fair bit at idle, and a little tiny bit at high speeds. The mount seems to be ok for general recording. I'm not exactly making On Any Sunday 2. :lol:

You can see the mounting point in this picture, at the bottom. I mounted this RAM ball using the upper bolt for the windscreen frame on the left, and this one on the same bolt on the right - that's where the Spot is mounted. There's also a ball mounted in the middle, by the Powerlets - hypothetically the GoPro (or whatever) can be mounted on any of those. In those photos, I didn't have the Powerlet setup finished up - now I can power the camera easily with a shorty cable.

You can see some sample footage here - the camera is turned back towards me. I'm wearing my costume from the Halloween ride in San Francisco.
Woland
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Woland »

I see a black and white theme in this thread ;)
rochsan
Basic User

Post by rochsan »

Hello, this is my bike. Temperatures are negative lately in Romania but I still manage to ride a little on week-ends. I am going to buy a set of Pilot Road 3 soon. Did one of you get any experience with these tires? Thank you.

ImageImageImageImageImage
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

rochsan wrote:Hello, this is my bike. Temperatures are negative lately in Romania but I still manage to ride a little on week-ends. I am going to buy a set of Pilot Road 3 soon. Did one of you get any experience with these tires? Thank you.

Cool bike. I really dig those clear hand protectors. What is that black thing (GPS mount?) under the windscreen? I can't tell where it's mounted - is it attached to the screen itself?

There are several guys on this site (and others) that like the Pilot Road 3s. That's what I plan to get next.
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

rochsan wrote:Hello, this is my bike. Temperatures are negative lately in Romania but I still manage to ride a little on week-ends. I am going to buy a set of Pilot Road 3 soon. Did one of you get any experience with these tires? Thank you.

Nice bike!
I love the Wudo fairing and especially love the clear hand guards, who makes them?

Cheers!

SF_Hooligan wrote:
Hah! Freedom! =D>

It vibes a fair bit at idle, and a little tiny bit at high speeds. The mount seems to be ok for general recording. I'm not exactly making On Any Sunday 2. :lol:

Forget about your great photos and cool, slick, electronics dash setup, that video is great! Hilarious! :lol:
Bravo

Here's a couple of photos from todays ride with Nancy around the Malibu Canyons, North of Los Angeles and about 10 minutes from our home. :mrgreen:
It was a bit cold today, only had a high of 60ºF and all the way down to 45ºF by sunset at the beach.

Get Lost!
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Lost Rider wrote: Nice bike!
I love the Wudo fairing and especially love the clear hand guards, who makes them?

Forget about your great photos and cool, slick, electronics dash setup, that video is great! Hilarious! :lol:
Bravo

Here's a couple of photos from todays ride with Nancy around the Malibu Canyons, North of Los Angeles and about 10 minutes from our home. :mrgreen:
It was a bit cold today, only had a high of 60ºF and all the way down to 45ºF by sunset at the beach.

:lol: Thank you sir. If you're ever up this way 'round the end of the month, the Friday night rides around SF (last Friday of every month) are something to behold.

What GPS app is that? Downloadable maps? I'm getting kind of frustrated with Navigon, to the point where I'm almost ready to buy an actual GPS. It works, but the latest versions is sometimes a pain.

Jumping the gun - I believe those are the Wunderlich ClearProtect Hand Guards. I really like the way they're almost invisible - did you notice he has the footguards on there too? Supposedly, those hanguards (like everything else) only work on bikes through 2010. I can't see how that's possible - I think they mount on the control bolts. Anyway, Wunderlich America is about 2 hours from me in Watsonville and I'll eventually cruise down there and take a peek at some, see if I can make 'em fit.
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

SF_Hooligan wrote:
:lol: Thank you sir. If you're ever up this way 'round the end of the month, the Friday night rides around SF (last Friday of every month) are something to behold.

What GPS app is that? Downloadable maps? I'm getting kind of frustrated with Navigon, to the point where I'm almost ready to buy an actual GPS. It works, but the latest versions is sometimes a pain.

Jumping the gun - I believe those are the Wunderlich ClearProtect Hand Guards. I really like the way they're almost invisible - did you notice he has the footguards on there too? .
LA to SF and back for 1 day ride is my style.... plus the best sushi in the north america in at Pink Godzilla in Santa Cruz and worth the ride. I'm booked for a 5 day Death Valley GS ride for the end of this month, but will make it a point to come up and check it out.

I like the clear guards.... might replace the GS one's I have currently, but don't sport unless absolutely needed. - Which is never in SoCal, unlike when I lived and rode year round in Chicago.

The GPS is the new Garmin Street Pilot App. The best thing about it is no network needed for maps. The App is 2 GB and has the entire North America routable maps, though you can save a few bucks and get just the USA without Canada and Mexico. Basically it has City Navigator North AMerica NT map installed.
For me, it's my "local" street riding GPS I move from bike to bike, and the backup GPS for my Garmin Montana 600 on my long distance on and off tarmac adventures.
It's basically the same as any Garmin Nuvi, but with the much more refined Apple multi-touch interface. Very useful tool, but doesn't allow loading of GPX tracks or routes from Garmin Base Camp, for street riding though that doesn't matter much. You can select a destination, then add waypoints to "sculpt" your route.
To have a Garmin "Nuvi" on your bike for $50 is well worth it IMO.
Beware though, you'll want to have the iPhone plugged in if you're ride is more than a few hours as it uses many watts of processor power. You shouldn't have any problem with that though. :D

Keeping with the spirit of this thread: :D

Get Lost!
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Lost Rider wrote:I like the clear guards.... might replace the GS one's I have currently, but don't sport unless absolutely needed. - Which is never in SoCal, unlike when I lived and rode year round in Chicago.

The GPS is the new Garmin Street Pilot App. The best thing about it is no network needed for maps. The App is 2 GB and has the entire North America routable maps, though you can save a few bucks and get just the USA without Canada and Mexico. Basically it has City Navigator North AMerica NT map installed.
For me, it's my "local" street riding GPS I move from bike to bike, and the backup GPS for my Garmin Montana 600 on my long distance on and off tarmac adventures.
It's basically the same as any Garmin Nuvi, but with the much more refined Apple multi-touch interface. Very useful tool, but doesn't allow loading of GPX tracks or routes from Garmin Base Camp, for street riding though that doesn't matter much. You can select a destination, then add waypoints to "sculpt" your route.
To have a Garmin "Nuvi" on your bike for $50 is well worth it IMO.
Beware though, you'll want to have the iPhone plugged in if you're ride is more than a few hours as it uses many watts of processor power. You shouldn't have any problem with that though. :D
I run Barkbusters on my bike right now. They're definitely coming off in the spring, though - ugly as hell. Plus, it gets hot here.

Thanks for the tip on the Street Pilot app, I'll have to get it. Looks like it locks in landscape, from your pic - Navigon doesn't do that so I have to run it locked in portrait mode otherwise it switches back and forth. Drives me nuts. Anyway, Navigon downloads all the maps too and also doesn't allow you to upload routes - seems none of the GPS apps do.

A few more in the spirit of actually having pictures to go along with the chatter.

Del Puerto Canyon Road (other side of Mt. Hamilton) - made a new friend.

Another new friend, down by Atascadero.

Morro Rock.
rochsan
Basic User

Post by rochsan »

ImageImage
Hi There!
The hand guards on my bike are from Wunderlich, as well as the feet protections. The hand guards protect well, are made of thick high quality plastic, but I find them slightly too big, like some kind of elephant ears. The Wunderlich catalogues showed a R1200R equipped with the engine crash-bar and the set of feet protections which you can see on my bike, so I assumed it was possible to install them together, but I was wrong. The bike in the catalogue was just a "prototype" :mrgreen: (as it was actually mentioned in very small in the catalogue), so I had a hard time to put everything together (fixed it with something I found in the bathroom area of a DIY store :badgrin: )...The black stuff behind my (broken) shield is a mount for a GPS. It is made in USA and I bought a couple of weeks ago in Japan. Expensive stuff but this is the only serious device I found to install the GPS which normally goes in my car. You can orientate the GPS in various positions, it sounds good.
Cheers!
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

rochsan wrote: The hand guards on my bike are from Wunderlich, as well as the feet protections. The hand guards protect well, are made of thick high quality plastic, but I find them slightly too big, like some kind of elephant ears.
Cheers!

So does that mean they work well for riding in cold rain?
Also, do you have any photos of the mounts? Is it easy to install and take off the guards, so it could be done when needed?

Thank you!

SF_Hooligan wrote:
I run Barkbusters on my bike right now. They're definitely coming off in the spring, though - ugly as hell. Plus, it gets hot here.

Thanks for the tip on the Street Pilot app, I'll have to get it. Looks like it locks in landscape, from your pic - Navigon doesn't do that so I have to run it locked in portrait mode otherwise it switches back and forth. Drives me nuts. Anyway, Navigon downloads all the maps too and also doesn't allow you to upload routes - seems none of the GPS apps do.

The Garmin DOES NOT lock in landscape, and does bounce back and forth a little.

I actually lock in portrait more often than not, as seeing further in front of me is more important than to the sides of me. The down side is there's less turn by turn info displayed.

Still a great app for the cost.
Get Lost!
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Lost Rider wrote: The Garmin DOES NOT lock in landscape, and does bounce back and forth a little.

I actually lock in portrait more often than not, as seeing further in front of me is more important than to the sides of me. The down side is there's less turn by turn info displayed.

Still a great app for the cost.
That's what I do when running Navigon, but the phone would be better positioned if it was horizontal. When I don't lock it, it goes back and forth a lot even when I'm just going straight. Very annoying.
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

Get Lost!
BigEasy
Lifer

Post by BigEasy »

Here's a few fropm a Bourbon Tour trip around eatern Kentucky last fall, sorry about the washed out color. I was just learning to use a new camera and had the ISO set too high

Play Harrd and Floor It- Stevie Ray Vaughn
Currently:
07 R1200R
07 XB12STT
10 FLHTP
12 Wee Strom ADV
hjsbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 711

Post by hjsbmw »

Faces behind the posts? Here's me on the day I took possession of the bike, minutes after the previous owner dropped it off and I handed over the check.

Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
hjsbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 711

Post by hjsbmw »

BigEasy wrote:Here's a few from a Bourbon Tour trip ...
Are you an MOA member? They are looking for stories about 'Theme Rides'. I think you have the right material here, in case you feel inclined to write a story around it.
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
Rrider
Donating Member #: 744

Post by Rrider »

It's good to see you've started a new photo thread with dialogue!
07 Black R1200R