MRA VarioScreen again

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

beemerbewbie
Basic User

Re: MRA VarioScreen again

Post by beemerbewbie »

Yep, been riding with it for about 1000kms now.
I like it a lot.
I'm still working with the adjustments and am working on a balance between turbulence and noise. If I angle it towards me it's noisier but it's smoother air, if I angle it away it's quieter but the top of my helmet gets caught in turbulence and my head moves around a bit. I've adjusted it pretty much in the middle of that zone.

I stupidly lost 2 of the sleeves that fit into the bracket that holds it onto the bars so am using rubber as sleeves, the screen is stable but leans onto my instrument pod a little bit, should't cause any problems.

I think I've accepted the fact that it's either head in clean air and lots of wind or get good wind protection and some noise and turbulence. I'm 5 foot 6 so on any bike I always seem to end up in that middle zone.

It's the end of the season up here so I'll definitely perfect things more next season. Great bike and this screen has made me want to keep it (:
snave
Basic User

Post by snave »

I like the looks of yim4's varioscreen; clear with the tint across the bottom. Do they come that way? I've seen other pics that don't appear to have the bottom tint.

Can you give an update on how you like after having it a year?

Thanks,
Snave
beemerbewbie
Basic User

Post by beemerbewbie »

Well, I've put over 6000kms on the Vario and I really like it, it's not as quiet as my VFR was but I like the coverage I get from it and I'm used to the noise now. I've adjusted it to what I like and it works really well for me. Earlier this year I put my Katana back on the road for a month and rode it alongside the Beemer and now I know I wouldn't go back.
yim4
Basic User

Post by yim4 »

snave wrote:I like the looks of yim4's varioscreen; clear with the tint across the bottom. Do they come that way? I've seen other pics that don't appear to have the bottom tint.

Can you give an update on how you like after having it a year?

Thanks,
Snave
I have the clear shield they sell at Twisted Throttle. Although they do show a completely clear one on their website, apparently that is an old version and the new ones have the black gradient (according to them).
bhope
Lifer
Donating Member #: 865

Post by bhope »

Hi Yim4 and thanks for sharing your experiences with the Vario. I'm now three months into my new R1200R and struggling to find a simple, small fairing to offer a little chest protection with clean air over the helmet. My only test so far is the BMW Sport Screen and it has been a disaster re: turbulence and noise (even with plugs). I'm almost 5'11''.

I have one question I hope you don't mind ... in the original photo below, it looks like the lower "section" of the screen is tinted heavily or perhaps completely painted black. Wondering if:

a) the Vario comes like this, and
b) does this solve the issues with light reflection of the headlight flowing through the fairing

Thanks!

Blair
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

yim4 wrote: Image
yim4
Basic User

Post by yim4 »

a) The clear version from Twisted Throttle comes that way. It's black at the bottom and there is a gradient to the rest of the shield which is clear.
b) I haven't experienced this problem with the MRA shield. However, I've had the sport shield and the Z-Technik shields previously and I haven't experienced the problem with those shields either.
bhope wrote:Hi Yim4 and thanks for sharing your experiences with the Vario. I'm now three months into my new R1200R and struggling to find a simple, small fairing to offer a little chest protection with clean air over the helmet. My only test so far is the BMW Sport Screen and it has been a disaster re: turbulence and noise (even with plugs). I'm almost 5'11''.

I have one question I hope you don't mind ... in the original photo below, it looks like the lower "section" of the screen is tinted heavily or perhaps completely painted black. Wondering if:

a) the Vario comes like this, and
b) does this solve the issues with light reflection of the headlight flowing through the fairing

Thanks!

Blair
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

yim4 wrote: Image
zblip2

Post by zblip2 »

In Erope, everyone is going for this one:

http://www.wrs.sm/fr/prodotti-wrs-cupol ... 200-r.html

Being French Canadian, I joined the French (from France) forum also.
They think Cee Baileys and Calsci look awfull and are cheeply made.
This WRS screen is supposed to be comfortable at up to 140kmh, I figure thats about 85mph. They are less expensive but shipping is a bit more so for here in Canada, it amounts to the same price as ether CB and Calsci. I'll prbably go for this model :mrgreen:
New to BMW motorcycles, been riding low budget UJM for the last 20 years. Montreal french canadian.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

zblip2 wrote:In Erope, everyone is going for this one:

http://www.wrs.sm/fr/prodotti-wrs-cupol ... 200-r.html

Being French Canadian, I joined the French (from France) forum also.
They think Cee Baileys and Calsci look awfull and are cheeply made.
This WRS screen is supposed to be comfortable at up to 140kmh, I figure thats about 85mph. They are less expensive but shipping is a bit more so for here in Canada, it amounts to the same price as ether CB and Calsci. I'll prbably go for this model :mrgreen:
I'll be quite curious about your results with this screen. The shape is similar to the Cee-Bailey GEN-III screen (with the extended winglets at the top.)

Since VAT shouldn't be collected for a sale to the colonies (or Canada - even Quebec) what does the price delivered end up to be? (Sometimes you have to remind euro vendors that they should take VAT off for sales to this continent.)
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!