Electrical weirdness!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Electrical weirdness!

Post by riceburner »

towerworker wrote:Sure glad you found it. Was gonna suggest you check the antifreeze.....
It's that time of year!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

Glad you got it sorted out OP. Seems that sometimes there's just ghosts in the machine.

And as far as coolant. I like the 5-20 stuff, but I guess it depends on where you are.
sstein
Donating Member #: 25

Post by sstein »

Thanks everyone. No more consistent harbinger of winter than Towerworkers antifreeze reminder - thanks!

I also am anxious about an underlying problem causing the fuse #1 to go. Hoping that maybe it was just a really old fuse... [-o<

I have not been out for a ride yet, but will see how that goes. I now travel with a variety of fuse replacements including a bunch of 4 amp fuses for slot #1.
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

We think of fuses blowing because something shorts out. A fuse can also go if there are loose connections somewhere in that particular circuit. When an electrical connection becomes just slightly loose there is resistance added that causes a slight increase in the amount of current flowing thru that circuit. So if you find no clear reason for a blown fuse work backwards thru that circuit and ensure that all electrical connections involved are clean and tight.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
sstein

Post by sstein »

Everything worked normally on ride to work today.
When an electrical connection becomes just slightly loose there is resistance added that causes a slight increase in the amount of current flowing thru that circuit.
Interesting, when the problem first started, I lost flashers, brake lights, etc, then they all came back for a few seconds. I wonder if something is loose? If so, the problem should come back...

Thanks for the advice.
2002 R1150R
sstein

Post by sstein »

Everything worked normally on ride to work today.
When an electrical connection becomes just slightly loose there is resistance added that causes a slight increase in the amount of current flowing thru that circuit.
Interesting, when the problem first started, I lost flashers, brake lights, etc, then they all came back for a few seconds. I wonder if something is loose? If so, the problem should come back...

Thanks for the advice.
2002 R1150R