Saddle Bag Ejection

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Saddle Bag Ejection

Post by Tundra Dweller »

Getting the R1150R ready for some two up riding. Sargent two pc. seat, Alaskan Sheep Skin pads. Testing out the Luggage that came with the R.
Coocase Trunk has been fine. Put the Chinese knock off BMW Saddle bags on for a cycle meet at Brewery in Minneapolis. Made one stop then into the City. I arrived to find the left bag GONE! *#%@! At Freeway speeds in traffic I assumed it was totaled somewhere. Left side was empty, right had a few items in it.
Hung out for a while then while leaving I thought I would re-trace part of the incoming route.
Once I got u-turned back onto 35W South I recalled hitting a big "knock yer butt off the seat" expansion joint. Sure enough just after that there was the Saddle Bag on the left Shoulder near the cement divider and it looked intact. Flashers on I sheepishly pulled unto the left shoulder and ran back to get it. It was in amazingly good shape for close to 70 mph. drop off. Slapped it on and got off the freeway for some inspection and securing.
Very little scrapes on the outside, the bike side of the Bag took the brunt of it with one of the "hooks" almost completely gone.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xn5gjYqUPNXZ7Jag9

I will fab a adder to the Hook and add these Ball Lock pins through the soon to be drilled out lower front tabs of each Saddle Bag.
Had the same mod on the 2008 Kawi C-14 Bags as others had lost their Bags
https://www.carrlane.com/en-us/product/ ... /cl-3-blpb

I definitely had them locked on as the Bag was still locked with the security tab in the right position.
Just posting this for others. Granted this may be due to the "knock off" Saddle Bags. Still, $15 for the pins and two drilled holes are cheap insurance.
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Re: Saddle Bag Ejection

Post by Photoguy »

Yikes! Glad that you were able to recover the bag, sounds like you got lucky!-

My bike came with Cortech soft bags and I didn't think I'd like them so I've been on the look-out for a set of hard bags but haven't been able to find any. The Chinese ones keep popping up in internet searches but I never knew what they were about so I've passed. After having the bike for a year though, I've decided that the soft ones work well for me even if they don't hold all that much.
RadicalR1150R
Lifer
Donating Member #: 960

Post by RadicalR1150R »

Hey welcome to the club..lol. Mine ended up OK too.. right side.. The morning of ejection, I emailed my son to be on the look out as he travels the same route in to work.. Darned if he didn't find it too..same grind of the "fingers" too but not bad at all. My clasp had broken (pot metal) that holds em to the bike, that was to the tune of like $175.00 or something..The entire system case latch assembly, (part numbers available) Kinda easy fix.. but $$$$.. & no lunch that day either...lol.. I've still gotta do the pin thing too.. Remember to drill from inside (wheel side) to the outside too.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

CycleRob installed a stainless steel spring clip for each bag to prevent unintended pop offs. Search might find the thread for those interested.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

Since '04 and w/280K on my rock I have never lost a bag or had one fail.

First of all I limit the weight I carry in a case to 20LB.(and most times I never get to that limit but for very short slow trips will exceed if necessary).

As the miles pile up the bags will become lose and that needs to be addressed. The locking hook in the center ,due to ware on the mount and stress will cause the bag to become loose over time.
I have checked the looseness often and when it becomes too loose for comfort I have added w/epoxy a thin strip of aluminum to the under side of the mount to firm the clamping force. (.025)
So far I have only had to do it once.

I have been in the company of other BMW riders and checked (w/their permission) and found more than one too lose in my opinion and in need of adjustment. People tend to pack them damn heavy..not a good Idea.

My .02c
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER