2004 R1150R Fuel Leak Unique Situation?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

shahrkster
Basic User

Re: 2004 R1150R Fuel Leak Unique Situation?

Post by shahrkster »

swamper wrote:Beemer Boneyard sells a complete kit for this.
Thanks. Leaning towards that kit with all the different parts and variables.
2004 29Kish miles R1150R

shahrkster
Basic User

Post by shahrkster »

towerworker wrote:When I changed my filter and lines inside the tank I did not buy stuff from BMW. But you DO need to use clamps that are specifically designed for high pressure fuel injection. NOT the common screw type clamps. I bought the proper squeeze type FI clamps along with a crimping tool. I'm not plugging the below links. They're just an example of the type of clamps to use. There are FI rated clamps that are designed differently but BMW used the below style for a reason. One more thing..........if you decide to replace any of the fuel lines in the tank or external be sure they're rated for fuel injection systems because of the high pressures involved. You can not use conventional old fuel line like you'd put on your mower. Also any lines replaced within the tank need to be rated for "fuel immersion." Regular lines are designed for fuel on the inside of the line (duh!) but not to be constantly immersed in fuel. All that being said don't think you have to replace the internal lines.......that's only if you find something wrong with them.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-800-306-P ... B001O07PU8

https://www.amazon.com/DYWISHKEY-Stainl ... 248&sr=8-4

And yeah you should change your filter. And buy a new O-ring that seals the assembly to the tank. It's about 4-5 inches in diameter. Very very important to evenly tighten and torque the 6 small nuts that hold the assembly to the tank. 10mm sticks in my mind. And did I say to carefully tighten and torque those nuts? :) :)

Is there a particular torque setting for these?
2004 29Kish miles R1150R

towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Yes, 6nm. Last time I changed my filter I didn't have a 1/4" drive torque wrench (I think it's a 10mm nut) so I tightened the same way you do lug nuts on a wheel. Then put a gallon or two in tank and rolled tank around a bit to make sure no leaks. I have a video somewhere of my first attempt. Had everything back together. Put a gallon back in and rode to station to fill it up. I was approaching 3.5-4 gallons and gas starting pouring out from under riight side of tank. Hauled it back home, took it all apart and found the o-ring had very slightly slipped out of place on one spot. So be very careful and methodical.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
shahrkster
Basic User

Post by shahrkster »

towerworker wrote:Yes, 6nm. Last time I changed my filter I didn't have a 1/4" drive torque wrench (I think it's a 10mm nut) so I tightened the same way you do lug nuts on a wheel. Then put a gallon or two in tank and rolled tank around a bit to make sure no leaks. I have a video somewhere of my first attempt. Had everything back together. Put a gallon back in and rode to station to fill it up. I was approaching 3.5-4 gallons and gas starting pouring out from under riight side of tank. Hauled it back home, took it all apart and found the o-ring had very slightly slipped out of place on one spot. So be very careful and methodical.
Makes me want to "NOT fix what's NOT broken". The bike runs just fine and maybe I should just change or tighten the fuel line that is swiveling...or just tighten it. Thoughts on that?
2004 29Kish miles R1150R

towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Obviously it's up to you but if the bike were mine I'd be wanting to change the filter and while I was at it I'd get rid of the plastic BMW quick disconnects. It's not if they fail it's when. You want neither QD's or a fuel filter to fail away from home. I had externalized the filter on an '03 I had before my '04. I need to do that to my '04 now. I'm overdue for a new filter. And your bike is as old as mine. If you're on the original QD's and filter you really ought to consider a bit of Saturday afternoon service. And if you're like the rest of the country currently you've got some time on your hands.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
shahrkster
Basic User

Post by shahrkster »

towerworker wrote:Obviously it's up to you but if the bike were mine I'd be wanting to change the filter and while I was at it I'd get rid of the plastic BMW quick disconnects. It's not if they fail it's when. You want neither QD's or a fuel filter to fail away from home. I had externalized the filter on an '03 I had before my '04. I need to do that to my '04 now. I'm overdue for a new filter. And your bike is as old as mine. If you're on the original QD's and filter you really ought to consider a bit of Saturday afternoon service. And if you're like the rest of the country currently you've got some time on your hands.
Good advice buddy.
2004 29Kish miles R1150R

shahrkster
Basic User

Post by shahrkster »

Have the parts on order. I decided to have a mechanic buddy of mine look at the hoses. He said they were in good shape and didn't need replacement. Went over to Carquest and bought a couple of new clamps to check if it was just a settled clamp issue where the outlet and return fuel lines connect to the tank. Looks like this solved the problem. Gonna take her for a ride tonight while the weather is still nice.

I might have some extra parts now. The QDs that I have look like new. They are plastic so I will carry the extra set under the seat with me. Will update after the ride.

One bike done. One to go...lol
2004 29Kish miles R1150R

shahrkster
Basic User

Post by shahrkster »

With the lovely weather here in VA last night (today's can KMArse) I took 'er out for a nice late night 24 mile ride. So far so good. Gonna keep fingers crossed. Looks like some good weather coming up.

@towerworker....do you ride up towards Winchester at all or plan to? I might high SNP this weekend.
2004 29Kish miles R1150R