Retaining Pin Removal

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Bogdan
Basic User

Retaining Pin Removal

Post by Bogdan »

Looking ahead to the upcoming brake fluid change on my 2004: Last time we couldn't figure out how to remove the pin that retains the pads in the rear caliper. ( The pin in the front caliper was no trouble ). I was reluctant to use too much force. We were in a hurry ( never a good thing ) so we pushed the pistons in with the pads in place - not ideal.

Does anyone have some advice on removing said pin ? Should I just wack at it with a hammer ?
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Re: Retaining Pin Removal

Post by Photoguy »

I used a hammer/punch after removing the retaining clip. Do you have the document for the procedure? I found it pretty complete step-by-step for the bleed procedure with only a few minor deviations. My bike is a 2003, so I'm assuming that it's pretty similar to yours. LMK if you need the document and I'll try to find and post.
Bogdan
Basic User

Post by Bogdan »

Thanks, Photoguy. I'll put the punch and hammer to use.

Yes, I have the procedure which I printed ....it was invaluable when I did the bleed - as it was my first time. Now I'm poised to do it again; the trouble with being an amateur mechanic is that you don't do these tasks often enough not to forget some of what you've done.
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

Good luck- It's not too bad a job. Like you I'm not a mechanic but can follow directions and this is pretty straight forward. My advice- take your time and make sure that you have all that you need at the start of the procedure and you'll be fine. I had help from RadicalR1150r here, he gave some pointers and most importantly the confidence to do the job. If you need help, give a shout and I'll try to do what I can.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

With caliper ON bike:

1 remove the circlip/c-clip retainer on the outside of the pin
2 use small punch (an appropriately sized allen key can be used - ie small!) and GENTLY tap with a hammer until pin is free
3 NOW remove caliper from bike.

:)

Oh - and DO NOT FORGET to lubricate the slide pins on the rear caliper! (otherwise they will rust up solid and you'll get much reduced braking efficiency). I use hi-temp Silicon grease for ANY grease/lubrication applications on the calipers.

Note - it's also a good idea to put a light coating of grease on the FRONT caliper retaining pins (especially on the Tokicos) - I have known the pins to rust into the caliper bodies in the past. (happened to a friend of mine).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
dark_knight87
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by dark_knight87 »

The front retaining pins can be a pain as you cannot drift these out of the Tokico calipers (unless you drill out the retaining pin hole) - however I have just got some stainless steel replacement pins from Motorworks so hopefully these will not seize!

The rear Brembo is far easier to work on!

Regards,
Russ
Bogdan
Basic User

Post by Bogdan »

Good advice, Riceburner. I'll bet lack of lubrication is why the pin resisted moving last time.
RadicalR1150R
Lifer
Donating Member #: 960

Post by RadicalR1150R »

Hey @dark_knight87 Can you pass along a part number & or link for the stainless pins? Not familiar with Motorworks.
Thank you..
dark_knight87
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by dark_knight87 »

@RadivcalR1150R,

Motorworks are in the UK - here is a link to the Tokico pins (7th item in list - SSA38251) :-

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop ... 5_30_HA_32

And here is a link to the rear Brembo one (5th item in list - SSA30313):

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop ... 5_30_HA_36

Regards,
Russ