A five minute job

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Hoof
Basic User

A five minute job

Post by Hoof »

Warming the engine didn't help me remove the oil filter. The "snug fitting" removal tool just spun round the flats on the filter. Two screwdrivers through the casing failed. Tearing open the top allowed me to remove all the internals to get a pin tool to the holes in the top - this didn't work. Now running out of ideas I used a brake caliper tool and expanded it inside the casing which made it almost square shaped. heaving on the caliper tool inside the filter turned at last. This finally did the five minute job after about 4 hours.
The old rubber gasket seal was bone dry and the filter presumably screwed on by a superhuman 'mechanic' at the last 'service'
K & N 163 from now on, 17mm nut on it and it even comes pre-lubed for lazy mechanics. I smeared on old engine oil for good measure, tightened up just 3/4 of a turn once hand tight to the engine. I may even wire it as it has a pre-drilled hole in the nut.

On the back of the Shackleton Whisky bottle consumed during this epic there is engraved a comforting quotation applicable to removing stubborn BMW oil filters:- "I believe it is in our nature to explore, to reach out into the unknown"
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: A five minute job

Post by riceburner »

Shouldn't laugh - but that's a very relevant quote! :D

- yeah - always smear the seal with oil. One of the benefits of doing your own work - you know it's been done properly. ;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

Key here is doing your own work if possible. I can't believe how many times poor workmanship comes back from warranty work on my XR.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Post by Tundra Dweller »

A good friend of mine that owns a multi brand Dealership made the comment....”you know more than the guys in the Shop so just do it yourself”....and I’m not that good. ;)
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
Hoof
Basic User

Post by Hoof »

Yes, DIY is the only way to be sure. I have lost count of the poor jobs done by a succession of so called mechanics before I got this 1150. - I've found a plethora of problems. Really an unknown bike seems to be just a problem for them to get out of the workshop ASAP. Always an air gun to over tighten bolts, always someone else to blame for forgetting to change the plugs.... but not forgetting to charge for it, someone else changed the oil but not the filter, new parts bought to substitute for a loose connection. 'workshop oil' listed instead of the correct synthetic, all torques ignored, drain plug cross threaded with the same old crush washer, brakes bled and the nipples tightened beyond belief. Do we really need to see splashes of lubricant over-spray all over the bike to prove it's been 'serviced' I think most servicing is done by the most recent apprentice to gain experience in more complex bodging. The Chris Harris videos are a comfort - perhaps there are other guys out there who care and thank heavens for this board. Rant, rant, rant.......
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

OK now I've really got to change oil & filter on the new-to-me Rockster bought last year.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Hoof
Basic User

Post by Hoof »

OK Sweatmark - it's only a five minute job !
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Hoof wrote:OK Sweatmark - it's only a five minute job !
:D :D :D
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Hoof
Basic User

Post by Hoof »

So much for the Persig Art of Motorcycle maintenance - So far with the 1150 I'm leaning to the alternative:-
"Now, we'll try *MY* plan: brute force!" -- The Tick

I think for most motorcycle jobs there is a difficulty scale of 1 - 10 that varies from the perceived to the actual - I'm bouncing on 9 at the moment.
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

Well, FWIW, I've never really experienced a 5 minute job. At a minimum for me is a day and a half to think about it (and usually much longer), even if the work itself only takes 5 minute to complete! :shock:
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

Just shows you, that a good preparation of a job is more than half the job.
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

Hoof,
Now that you have solved the problem of a severely overtightened oil filter, I recommend you go back to the factory BMW oil filter. Reason being is the BMW filter is made of premium quality components -and- this is unique when it is compared to all the other brand oil filters, BMW's has a separate plastic micro mesh 2nd stage filter "can" that filters the downstream oil escaping the high pressure bypass valve before returning it to the pressurized oil galley that feeds the engine bearings. The high pressure bypass valve on EVERY oil filter may open on resistance pressure created by the filter paper when a cold engine is revved up while running up thru the gears. The bypass valve is necessary so the filter paper is not destroyed by excess inlet pressure caused by cold-thick oil's inability to pass thru the paper filter medium fast enough. On EVERY OTHER BRAND oil filter, that UNFILTERED bypassed oil mixes with the filtered oil fed into the pressurized oil galley! Nobody can predict or know what cold weather cold engine "safe" RPM shift point is necessary to avoid that bypass valve opening. It can even occur when using the fast idle start lever using a 20W-50 oil on a 20degF (6.66degC) engine start. Granted, the frigid bypassed oil may not do any bearing damage, but BMW thought enough about it to be the only(?) manufacturer that makes oil filters with that high quality 2nd stage filter.

My 10 year old F800ST has always used BMW filters, that to my surprise after cutting one open, also has that fine plastic mesh 2nd stage filter! With it's water cooled engine using 5W-40 Shell T6 full synthetic oil year round, in winter I usually give it a 2+ minute warm up on the ECU's idle control motor.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Hoof
Basic User

Post by Hoof »

Very interesting - I had such a problem removing the old filter I just looked for the easiest top of the range filter to remove at my next oil change - which was K & N. with the bolt on the end.......But next time BMW.
"Engineering Archaeology" on the old Hiflowfiltro 163 filter leads me to believe it was put on dry. This made it stick. The 'swirl' scratch marks on the paint suggest there was at least one attempt to remove it with a fast spinning air tool...which failed... so the filter remained in situ and I wonder just how many oil changes were done at so called garage 'services' without removing the filter?
I took it apart to remove it ....a painful process! but have since seen Chris Harris's method on Youtube - he drills 3 holes in the fluted polygonal removal tool and attaches it to the filter by screwing it on with 3 largish self tapping screws. An excellent and simple solution....a much sounder attachment than my angled screwdrivers! Thank you CycleRob for the information and...... Chris Harris for the solution to the lazy, useless, "couldn't care a less, not my bike", garage servicing syndrome.
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

Chris Harris has some good ideas if you can get through the attitude.

I use the Beemer boneyard filters, come with a good socket. Spun the project bikes off last week after 15 years in place, a BMW OEM filter.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147