Empty Socket

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Hoof
Basic User

Empty Socket

Post by Hoof »

There is an empty socket in the relay side of my 2003 1150R fuse box - is this because fueling is controlled by the setting of the O2 sensor, so there is no need for a coding plug on this model ?
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: Empty Socket

Post by sweatmark »

Which location is your empty socket?
http://home.mindspring.com/~jabrooks/images/fuses.jpg

I'm linking to R1150R member's site for image - without permission. My apologies.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Hoof
Basic User

Post by Hoof »

Hi Sweatmark,
It's the white socket (well it looks like a socket to me ) no. 8 on your diagram, in the relays listed as ' Motronic Coding Chip'. As far as I can ascertain the bike (R1150R) came out of the factory in 2003 without anything in that socket as the Lambda O2 sensor controlled fueling?

Incidentally, I still haven't found a fuse / relay diagram that actually matches the bike - (if you remember you explained that fuse 8 which is listed as 'not used' is in fact essential for the dipped headlight/rear lights to work)
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

I've had 3 R1150R bikes: only the 2002 Roadster had a coding plug (CCP), while Rocksters had/have none. My earlier oilheads each had a coding plug.

Check out Roger's thread in ADV: https://advrider.com/f/threads/coding-p ... ed.765242/

The ECU works via fuel & timing map(s), whether your bike has CCP or not. The CCP was used to select from alternative maps in ECU memory.

IMHO don't fiddle with coding plugs or intake air cheater boxes, but choose between as-is map or add AF-XIED to allow adjustable air/fuel ratio.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Hoof
Basic User

Post by Hoof »

Many thanks - Still learning.... I've read a lot now!
It appears that my 2003 R1150R was sold with an empty socket... ie no coding plug in the square white socket - which is just fine by me...nothing missing! So......nothing to do...no fiddling necessary...Bike is fine.

Also BTW I learnt that I can plug into the round socket a BMW GS 911 which for anarmandaleg reads error codes as the OBD2 protocol was interpreted differently by BMW to all the car signatories. A round plug adaptor to a 10 pin OBD2 reader does not work. (a flashing LED on a couple of wires does!) Once again......nothing to do...no fiddling necessary...I'll leave it alone....Bike is fine.

As to a fuse diagram - I guess I'll make my own....the one I found were not for the 2003 R1150R.

Thanks again
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

How about this one? BMW Fuse Box Explained Wiring Diagrams 2003 R1150r Abs
http://workingtools.org/diagram/bmw-fus ... r-abs.html
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
Rowery
Basic User

Post by Rowery »

Can you provide the fuse legend again? The link doesn't work anymore. I have a 2004 R1150R. I'm having some electrical issues and also would like the diagram for reference. My bike also seems to be missing the motronic relay.