Hot lead off starter solenoid for electrical acc ?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Markhilken
Basic User

Hot lead off starter solenoid for electrical acc ?

Post by Markhilken »

Hello everybody
Just curious if anyone has ever used the hot lead on the starter solenoid to attach electrical acc. to ? Really dont feel like yanking the tank off to access battery just to attach a double plug usb charger. My kids got me a charger for Christmas. Or does anybody elase have any good ideas. Charger is built to attach to the battery and is fused so cant see any harm
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: Hot lead off starter solenoid for electrical acc ?

Post by sweatmark »

Certainly it will work - using the hot (+) terminal at starter - but one of my jobs here at R1150R.org is to advocate fuel tank removal practice for ALL Roadster and Rockster owners. Just do it. Start the new year right!

See my youtube video.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Years ago I attached the SAE plug pigtail to my battery and use it to this day. I don't pull my tank any more than I have to. And I've pulled it plenty! The fasteners have a habit of wearing out, you really need to use caution when working the QD's including lubing the O-rings each time on the QD prior to re-attaching. Will help prevent a cut and resultant fuel leak. But be very careful if you start swinging a wrench on the starter terminal! Darn sure don't want to accidentally ground it.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

I don't know what year your bike is, but even ones built prior to 2004 that didn't have an accessory socket installed in the plastic starter motor cover still had the wiring for that accessory socket hidden under the cover tie-wrapped behind the back end of the starter motor. You could just splice any sort of socket you wanted onto the clipped-off end of that wire that is fused to carry up to 15 amps.
Note: be sure to remove the fuse before clipping, or carefully clip just one wire at a time so you don't short them together and blow the fuse!
Rich
ADIOS!
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

Not sure if they still do but BMW used to sell the female socket. (I've added them to a couple of bikes). It came with the spring loaded cover as well as a metal bracket to mount.
Tigcraft
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Tigcraft »

Markhilken wrote:Hello everybody
Just curious if anyone has ever used the hot lead on the starter solenoid to attach electrical acc. to ? Really dont feel like yanking the tank off to access battery just to attach a double plug usb charger. My kids got me a charger for Christmas. Or does anybody elase have any good ideas. Charger is built to attach to the battery and is fused so cant see any harm
I’ve connected to that point last summer for my cig lighter and usb unit. It’s not what I normally do as I’m a perfectionist and like my wires discrete but when I get a collection of ‘tank off jobs’ then I’ll take the tank off disconnect and merge it in nicer.
On another note, I now charge my battery via my 12v cig lighter socket as I’ve a male plug on a fast fit on my charger.