Downsizing Tires

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Riverside
Basic User

Downsizing Tires

Post by Riverside »

Maxine (2004 R1150R) is in need of some new footwear. Living in Costa Rica, my access to tires is... well not easy. I am looking for a street/gravel compromise tire. I have priced the Michelin Anakee 3 at the San Jose dealer and came away with serious sticker shock. Over $300 for the rear tire and that is a 3 1/2 hour drive into a traffic bound city. Found a Dunlop dealer much closer with a comparatively good deal on a Dunlop 609. But, here is the rub. They only have the tire in a 160/60-17 size. Stock is 170/60-17 Anyone have any experience in downsizing their rear tire? Not worried about fit, but, weight and handling. I'm not planning any serious off road excursions, but, occassionally I find potholed gravel roads between me and my destination in our adopted country and I want a sport adventure tire of some sort to manage this better. Instinct tells me this will not be a noticable change, but, any conflicting input is welcome. What problems am I likely to encounter, if any, putting the slightly smaller tire on Maxine?
Bob
2004 R1150R - Mad Maxine
Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: Downsizing Tires

Post by towerworker »

I've gone up a size on the rear but not down. But in case this helps are Shinko tires available where you are? I've been running Shinko 705's for many thousands now and really like them. They're a pretty darn good dual sport tire that seem to do very well on the R. I guess I've 5K on the front with little wear showing. Probably 4K on the rear with again little apparent wear. But they gave me the confidence on gravel and dirt surfaces that was just not possible with straight street tires. And they are substantially less expensive than others. About $100 rear and $70 front. I know this didn't directly answer your question but hopefully may give you an option.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

The 160/60 will work. I have been on the road and faced having to use that size on my rockster to finish a trip. The rockster come w/180/55. Didn't change the handling as I recall but the difference in diameter will cause speedo error to change.

I run 170/60s' on my rockster normally. The w/narrower tires will steer a little faster but only a little. I changed from the 180/55 to the 170/60 a year after boughtew in '04. I like them causes they are a little lighter and cheaper. For a while I was sometimes going thru 5 sets of tires a year.

As for load and speed they are ratted the same. Just think of the load your front has to handle!! 120/70.

I'm also a shinko fan (actually a yokohoma designed tire)
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Riverside
Basic User

Post by Riverside »

Thanks Kirby and Towerworker. I will try the 160's. I have found a website for Shinko Costa Rica, but, not able to find a dealer that will order the tires in that size. They are not exactly customer focused here, but, the benefits outweigh the problems. The tire I am replacing is a Shinko and the rear currently has about 11,000 miles. The center wear bars are even with the tread and the outer wear bars are not. I do a lot of two up with my wife and I have a tendency to square off the profile more than most. Taking a trip next month to the Carribean coast and wanted to do it on a tire with tread. Hence the urgency. I wanted to get the Shinko 705 based on the experience I have with Shinkos. Front tire still has a lot of life in it and I am more likely to find that size here. Most bikes are 200cc and under with tires to match. A nearby Honda dealer has Shinko, but, doesn't comprehend ordering the larger tire for me. I will work on that with them for the next tire change, when I am not pressed for time.
Bob
2004 R1150R - Mad Maxine
Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica
Bogdan
Basic User

Post by Bogdan »

I wonder if you'll notice much difference if you go to 80 pavement - 20 gravel/dirt tires over street tires. In my 80K + miles on a kLR, I tried a variety of tires and combinations. Avon Gripsters (80-20} were popular. Some of us called them slipsters because they were not much help off pavement. Kinda 270s - a 50-50 tire - were much better but drove me crazy when encountering rain grooves on highways. I ended up mounting the Kenda 270 in the rear and some kind of 80-20 in the front. This combo was ok on long pavement trips and allowed me to power through loose stuff off pavement. BTW most of my trips from Colorado to Guatemala and Honduras were on a R65 airhead sporting Metzler Marathons - definitely street tires. I was able to make it through some crazy roads. Anyway....let us know how you rate the ride on your new rubber.
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

I have used the 705 on an old Honda 750 I used for dirt roads and general travel. They are good for that application and actually quite good on pavement. (peg dragging good!)
H rated, I think that's 130 mph. (been there a couple of times)
I liked them. (+a bargain $)
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

kirby wrote:The 160/60 will work. I have been on the road and faced having to use that size on my rockster to finish a trip. The rockster come w/180/55. Didn't change the handling as I recall but the difference in diameter will cause speedo error to change...

I'm also a shinko fan (actually a yokohoma designed tire)
Didn't know 160 rear would mount on the 5.5" wheel. Good to know.

I've got my Kirby-recommended Shinko set stashed in garage for next tire changes, though the Pilot Road 4s that came with Rockster2 purchased this summer were barely used, and have new PR4 on spare rear wheel. Nonetheless eager to try the Shinkos.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Riverside
Basic User

Post by Riverside »

Thank you all for the input. I have the Dunlop D609's on the rear now and took a 50 mile loop to scrub them in before putting my wife on the back for our trip. I can feel virtually no difference between the 170 and the 160. But then I am no longer scrapping pegs in my riding habits so I was not concerned about the width difference. Have not tried them on any dirt roads yet, but, I am sure to run into some on my trip across to the Carribean.
More information on Shinko Costa Rica: I am going to talk to a couple of local places about becoming distributors for Shinko here. The website makes that offer to sign up as a distributor. Hopefully by the time I am ready for another set of rubber,I will be able to get the 705's in the correct size. Worse case senario I have to make a run to San Jose and pick up the tires there. Not an option this time.
Bob
2004 R1150R - Mad Maxine
Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica