Puff of blue smoke

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

racurley
Donating Member #: 1147

Puff of blue smoke

Post by racurley »

My sister once saw Dave Matthews walking down a street in Seattle in a puff of blue smoke. But this is different.

Sometimes, I ride my bike to work and when I come out in the evening to ride home, it emits a small cloud of exhaust smoke at start up. Not always. What's up with this?
2003 R1150R
1999 Yamaha VStar 650 Classic (sold)
1991 Honda Nighthawk CB250 !!
BadToTheBown
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Puff of blue smoke

Post by BadToTheBown »

Although it is possible this could be rings, it is more typical of worn/leaking valve guides in the heads. If you sit it on the side stand and it does this, good bet it's the guides. If you put it on the center stand and it still does it, consider doing a compression leak down test. If it just high mileage wear, once it heats up the burn should drop way off. If it doesn't do it after sitting on the center stand, good bet you just have some worn guides and seals for the valve stems, personally, I'd just live with it. Beaware, when burning oil, it lowers your octane, so it's easier to predetonate (pinging). I've had guides replaced and you risk the seats not lining back up (ask me how I know). IF they can "bronze wall" your original guides, that would be best should you rebuild the heads. Best of luck...
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada (HyperProject)
2005 BMW R1150sR Project Tourer
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

If you leave the bike on the side stand over night, it will emit a bit of smoke on the first start up .
Nature of the engine .
All my airheads do this if I leave them on the side stand overnight .
I don't know if this is true or not, I have been told that the BMW boxer engines don't have valve guide seals .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

Your post reminded me- my first BMW was a '96 R850R that I bought new at the dealer. Always kept on the side stand and on occasion it would emit a puff of blue smoke on start up. On the first check up at the dealer, I asked about it and the mechanic said 'Don't worry about it', so I didn't and right or wrong, I still don't (as it does happen occasionally on the current 1150).

:smt102
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

They all do that. I've 93K on my '04 R and once in while it puffs a little blue cloud upon startup. Depends upon where the piston/valves stop at shutoff on the left jug. (when left on side stand). It did it at 17K (when I bought it and it does it now). I bought a new '03 (1/03) and it did the same till I totaled it in 2007 at 44K. Just once in a while. Don't worry about it.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
racurley
Donating Member #: 1147

Post by racurley »

Cool. I think the difference is that I leave it on the sidestand at work and centerstand at home. I'm not going worry about it.
2003 R1150R
1999 Yamaha VStar 650 Classic (sold)
1991 Honda Nighthawk CB250 !!