Shock Absorber Rebuild

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Riverside
Basic User

Shock Absorber Rebuild

Post by Riverside »

I just wanted to pass on an experience I had not too long ago, in case you find yourself in a similar situation.

Living with a 2004 R1150R comes with it's own set of unique problems. Living with it in Costa Rica is simply another level of that. I had a leaky front shock absorber a few months back. Checking on line and with the nearest dealership I learned what sticker shock really is. A replacement from the dealer here was over $1500. Import fees and shipping from the US was even higher cost, if I was even allowed to import it. No other parts dealers were willing to look for an aftermarket replacement. A friend of mine in Indiana had a used one from his 2003 1150RT which he was willing to donate. He mailed it to a friend in CA who was visiting the US for a few weeks and he smuggled it back into the country for me. I used that shock for a while with mixed results. It is slightly shorter (about 3/4") and with the rough roads and numerous speed bumps I was thinking about a bash pan for Maxine. Especially with my wife on the back I never seemed to get over a speed bump at any speed without some noise.
On a trip back to the US for a graduation we went through our neighborhood in Escondido, CA to visit a week with friends. While there I took the original leaking shock to BMW Motorcycle of Escondido after contacting Hoss in the service department. One of the techs there, CJ, has a side-line rebuilding these "unrebuildable" shocks. I dropped mine off on my way into town from the airport and since I had greased the skids ahead of time with a believable tale of woe, the normal ten day lead time was shortend to less than a week. (guess they felt sorry for me) And I had my rebuilt shock in hand before leaving CA . Back in Costa Rica in another two weeks and the shock is installed and has been working well since mid June. Cost for the rebuild, not, counting the plane ticket to San Diego, was $235.00 Take cash since CJ is not working on the shop's clock to do the rebuild.
The shop in Escondido has always been accomodating and serviced my bike when I lived there. In fact it was when I called them about buying a shock and explained my circumstances they told me about the rebuild operation CJ provided. If you are near there and have the same problem, or can do a mail order service it is a good option to paying $600+ for a new unit.
Bob
2004 R1150R - Mad Maxine
Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: Shock Absorber Rebuild

Post by towerworker »

That's good to know. I've an '04 as well with 93K on the clock. I'll be looking at this at some point in the future I'm sure.

Many thanks for sharing that!!
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

there are several shops in the states that rebuild these shocks, even Racetech. Also now and then a pair will come up on ebay cheap.(even very low mileage.
Look out for them.
My Ohlins which I rebuild about every 25K are around $450 for the pr.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

Instead of rebuilding that old thing (rear or front), you might also take a look at WIlbers or Hyperpro options for our bikes.
Wilbers
https://www.wilbers-shop.de/index.php?c ... d125372505
or Hyperpro
https://www.webshop-hyperpro.com/en/pro ... gory_2=all
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.