New Charged Battery, won't start

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Mirky87
Basic User

New Charged Battery, won't start

Post by Mirky87 »

I replaced the battery in my 05 1150r and it is fully charged. Turn the key I get no lights and nothing from the starter. Give it a try with the charger on and I get the lights on and & sputtering sound. Any advice on where to start?

Thanks
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Re: New Charged Battery, won't start

Post by CycleRob »

Mirky87,
The no headlight response from key ON says your battery is either dead or not connected. We could also suspect an ignition switch fault or wire harness wire break, but hooking up the charger partially works the starter solenoid. The sputtering sound when the charger is connected is the charger powering the starter solenoid until the solenoid electrically actuates the starter motor. Of course there is not enough power to run the starter and as soon as the charger is connected to power the starter motor (Click!), the power from the charger gets an "overload short out", releasing the solenoid armature (Click) -and then- the same cycle rapidly repeats again and again. Lots of rapid arching and sparking inside the solenoid, so avoid doing that whenever you hear that dead battery sputtering sound on a starter button press.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Mirky87
Basic User

Post by Mirky87 »

Thank you Mr. Cycle Rob,
I'll recheck the battery connections as I was about to have it towed to the shop.................
Mirky87
Basic User

Post by Mirky87 »

Thanks Cycle Rob as the problem is solved. As I disconnected the battery cables & then connected them, I believe the problem came from the position of the wire from the top case on the battery terminal............