2002 R1150R Love this bike

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

gaijin
Lifer
Donating Member #: 590

2002 R1150R Love this bike

Post by gaijin »

I fall in love with BMW Boxer since High School but could not afford to buy one.
I had to wait many many moons to get this. It is almost like love at 1st sight after I saw this bike in a shop,80 kms from house.
I told a salesman to start her up and told him. I will trade in my Harley, No Second Thought and pick up the bike two weeks later.

Regretted, I had a few but too few to mention (2 batteries, one clutch replacement, 3 final drive seal replaced and a few set of tires). I bought her (why we do called "Her"?) with 12,000 kms and 99,000 kms now. I am still in love with her. She is getting old and start to give me some pains, lately. Whatever, I still in love with this bike and love to get comments from peoples, such as this bike like woman lying on her back with B***s hanged out the side, her hair drag on the street (front wheel). Peoples love the design.

Am I too attach to the bike or nut?
2002 R1150R (Lifer # 590)
1999 1200 Sportster Sport
IBA#33025
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Re: 2002 R1150R Love this bike

Post by sjbmw »

nope, just fine.
My 04 R just celebrated it's 15th year.... and I thought it was time for a new bike..... can't do it.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
sstein
Donating Member #: 25

Post by sstein »

Why are vehicles referred to as female?

"One theory is that the habit carried over from men's habit of calling ships "she" and naming ships after women, most often goddesses in ancient times. While ships are not as common a mode of transportation for civilians any longer, in the American and British armed forces, active ships are still referred to as feminine. Similarly, when men became dependant on motor vehicles, they were an ornament of pride and cared for with great attention by their male owners. Some men had a very chauvinistic view of the female car in that it was just a pile of metal without him at the wheel (as the automobile was introduced, only men could afford to or in many areas legally operate one). Other men adopted the mentality that the automobile must be tended and coddled with a gentle hand and therefore was perceived as being feminine."
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

I'm on my 3rd iteration of this design. I started with a 96 R850R that I bought new then a few years later moved on to a 2002 R1150R as I really liked the idea of the oil coolers being more integrated into the tank area. I ended up selling the 02 after few years and took a BMW-break with another bike, but I always seemed to miss the R so I picked up a 2003 at the beginning of this summer. I personally think it's a great all around machine that does most things that I want very well. As I've mentioned before, I also really like the 'looks'- it is a classic motorcycle silhouette in my eyes where other bikes don't share the same 'style'. When I think about motorcycles that appeal to me, I'm certain that I'm not a Harley guy, not a V-twin guy, not a sport bike guy, not a vintage guy, etc. Once I started crossing off different motorcycle designs from my list the R became even more appealing to me from a purely visual design standpoint.