Changing brake lines on a 2003 R1150R Non ABS

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

sunilsingh18
Lifer

Changing brake lines on a 2003 R1150R Non ABS

Post by sunilsingh18 »

Had the misfortune of blowing the front brake line on a ride about 20 miles from home on the first ride after winter. Limped back home on the rear brake ...which was not so bad because both circuits are independent. MN weather can be brutal on the bike and its age did not help. The bike came with original rubber wrapped brake lines with BMW calipers. I looked for help from the wise and experienced folks on this forum but did not find much.

Replacing the lines was the only option but the availability, despite its high price - about 300 bucks for all lines- supply was non existent. The best offer I got was a 4 to 6 week wait for parts from Germany.

I took the option of getting all the front and rear lines from Galfer for 150 bucks but the first set they shipped were too long. I spoke to their very friendly Tech Guy who goes by Donny and he suggested that I send the lines I took off the bike along with the return so that they could fabricate them. They reused the metal crossover tube from the original line and recreated the rest.

They sent the lines back and I could not be happier !!! Installing them was a breeze. I reused the banjo bolts but used the crush washers that they sent. The lines look 'skinnier' that the original but the internal diameters seem to be the same. Test ride showed that the brakes were more responsive with no fading.

Happy riding

Sunil
Bogdan
Basic User

Re: Changing brake lines on a 2003 R1150R Non ABS

Post by Bogdan »

I like happy endings.....ride on.
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

I did the same service about 5 years ago using Speigler lines, and had the same experience...seems there were different methods used for crossing over the fender even during the same year/model. Anyway, I got much crisper braking with the stainless-wrapped teflon lines, and no leaks!

NOTE: Never hang a caliper by the brake line (when changing a tire, etc.) because It's likely to leak if you do...always tie it up with cordage.
Last edited by Sunbeemer on Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich
ADIOS!
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

When renewing braided or ordinary brake / clutch hoses, I've been delighted with the service from a UK firm which does international shipping called AS3 Performance.
Their bespoke high-pressure hoses come in different colours but crucially have SWIVEL banjos, making installation and routing a breeze. Attach the hose at each end, then adjust the swivels for the best and neatest routing. Kushtie...
I have no connection with the firm - just pleased with their product and service.
https://www.as3performance.co.uk
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike