Sargent seat, how much rise from original?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Barista
Basic User
Donating Member #: 25

Sargent seat, how much rise from original?

Post by Barista »

I've ordered a Sargent seat for my recently aquired bike. Their site claims the standard build would be almost 1.9" higher than the BMW low seat and .4" lower than the BMW tall seat. They don't list a difference from the standard original seat. Is the seat they refer to as the low seat actually the original? I definately need some increase in seat height. Can anyone relate their real life experience in the differences from the factory original seat?

Also, I'm finding that the factory seat makes me slide forward toward the tank. I'm frequently pushing myself back, and then after a bump in the road I'm sliding my butt back again, over and over. Will the Sargent seat help with that?
2004 R1150 R ABS
Lincoln, Nebraska
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: Sargent seat, how much rise from original?

Post by kirby »

The machine has probably got a standard height seat unless it is ordered with a low seat, (low seat is an option).

The seat is very flat and NOT rounded like the stock seat. I don't slide forward partly because the seat had a much different texture than the smooth stock one which helps in in that regard with more friction.
I have found the seat very comfortable and due to it being flat will allow you to use the airhawk or other padded cushions effectively.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

The factory seat can be a real jewel breaker on hard braking, and long hours in the saddle.
The Sargent seat is wider, but not all that much taller. The wideness of the seat makes planting the feet farther way from the pavement.
Also creates a lot more comfort.

The Stock seat is a 150 mile seat, i.e. after 150 miles the PITA is noticeable.
The Sargent is a 500 mile seat.

your buns will thank you.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
RadicalR1150R
Lifer
Donating Member #: 960

Post by RadicalR1150R »

I had saved some part numbers for the oem seats, but must have decided I'll never need them & pitched em.
I had the same problem you've described with the forward sliding, Just a 25 mile ride was enough, thighs were aching too..
You will LOVE your new seat...Ride Safe..
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

Will look forward to hearing your impression.

I miss the adjustability of my 850R that had 3 positions to the mounting block under the seat for a low-medium-high position all from the same seat depending where you mounted the blocks. Too bad they got rid of it, it was a good idea imo.
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by gregor »

Sliding forward on the standard seat is not a problem I have. I never clean the seat with anything containing wax.
I ride in leathers. The combination of annual waterproofing with Nikwax, I know, and gentle rinsing with rain and bodily emissions keeps the leather supple and importantly, tacky in the sticky, ugh, sense.
Wearing my temporary goretex over trousers feels somewhat different.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
Barista
Basic User
Donating Member #: 25

Post by Barista »

The new Sargent seat just arrived and measurements are done. The gain in height is 1.125" which is about .7" less than their site claims. Keep in mind these measurements were taken with the bike on the center stand by placing a level accross the seat and measuring the distance to floor. They may not relate exactly to the actually gain in height since the Sargent seat is definitely wider and flatter. I can feel more support under my thighs and this may add a bit to my actual riding height. It's also very possible that this new seat will settle in a bit lower after it's had a few hours of use. I'll post more impressions after I've gotten a few hundred miles on it.
2004 R1150 R ABS
Lincoln, Nebraska
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

It doesn't settle in any lower. Be aware of the 30 day buy back.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Nope. That seat is so well made, after a decade of my big butt it's the same as it was when I got it, and I got mine USED.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Post by Tundra Dweller »

I have two Sargent seats on others Motorcycles. In a word, fantastic. Much better than the over weight, over rated and over priced Corbin. Will be considering another Sargent for the 1150R.
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
lcarlson
Donating Member #: 0

Post by lcarlson »

sjbmw wrote:Nope. That seat is so well made, after a decade of my big butt it's the same as it was when I got it, and I got mine USED.
After about 15 years, my Sargent saddle on my R1150R still looks essentially new. Great product
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650