Exhaust lowering to use larger left-side luggage?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Barista
Basic User
Donating Member #: 25

Exhaust lowering to use larger left-side luggage?

Post by Barista »

Has anybody tried this? I found a kit to lower the exhaust and it seems like a sensible thing to do that would enable a standard left-side case.
2004 R1150 R ABS
Lincoln, Nebraska
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Re: Exhaust lowering to use larger left-side luggage?

Post by Sunbeemer »

If you search for this topic you should be able to find several posts about this. IIRC you'll need to remake the full-size bag mounting foot to accommodate the bracket on the rear footpeg, and I've seen a picture on this forum of how this has been done using a couple metal angle brackets riveted to the case.
Rich
ADIOS!
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

FWIW, I had hard bags on my previous 1150 while my current bike has a pair of Cortech soft ones. The BMW hard bags had a pretty decent capacity IIRC. Was just wondering how much additional capacity you add by doing this? (It's been a while since I've seen a case up close)-
sstein

Post by sstein »

FWIW I skirted the issue by removing the stock can and replacing it with a short exhaust tip. I think it improved the sound too - a bit deeper but not much louder.
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother
Sunbeemer
Basic User

Post by Sunbeemer »

If the Left side full-size bag is the same size as the Right side bag, then it should be 7L larger (difference of 25L for original to 32L full-size).

And here's a story about finding a BMW lowering bracket that includes the full-size left bag mount:
https://www.thetwowheeledtourist.com/tw ... case-saga/
Too bad he didn't include updated part numbers.
Rich
ADIOS!
Barista
Basic User

Post by Barista »

Thanks Sunbeemer, great story. A true testimony of the relentless obsessive compulsive perfectionist. I can relate to that. In the end he ended up with two 38L cases. Yes....too bad he didn't include the new part number.
2004 R1150 R ABS
Lincoln, Nebraska
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

I'm sorry but I can't understand why a rider would go to such lengths for a small increase in case size.??
+ the bike looks weird with the cases off.

just say'n
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Sunbeemer
Basic User

Post by Sunbeemer »

An argument against lowering the muffler is that it makes removing the rear wheel more difficult (you may have to remove the muffler), especially in the field.
Rich
ADIOS!
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

kirby wrote:I'm sorry but I can't understand why a rider would go to such lengths for a small increase in case size.??

just say'n
Speaking for myself:
1) it makes it possible to carry somewhat larger items in the left case as well as in the right (eg camping gear - stoves and whatnot), so as well as giving you the (albeit small) extra capacity, it also allows you more options in where things go (for weight balancing for example).
2) I ran the bike without a can (like sstien), just a "tip" on the catalyst exit, and it makes access to the rear wheel much easier for cleaning and tyre replacement.
3) I actually prefer the look without that large (and heavy) rear can. :)
4) it removes from the bike the only part that needs metal polishing when you clean it. ;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Sunbeemer wrote:An argument against lowering the muffler is that it makes removing the rear wheel more difficult (you may have to remove the muffler), especially in the field.

You pretty much have to remove the rear can anyway, especially on the Rockster. (5.5" rear wheel and 180width tyre)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Sunbeemer
Basic User

Post by Sunbeemer »

Changing the rear tire on my RR is easy with the stock muffler which doesn't need to be removed with the bike on the center stand.
Rich
ADIOS!
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Sunbeemer wrote:Changing the rear tire on my RR is easy with the stock muffler which doesn't need to be removed with the bike on the center stand.
Good to know - on the Rockster it's not possible to remove the 180 tyre with the can in place.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

riceburner wrote:
kirby wrote:I'm sorry but I can't understand why a rider would go to such lengths for a small increase in case size.??

just say'n
Speaking for myself:
1) it makes it possible to carry somewhat larger items in the left case as well as in the right (eg camping gear - stoves and whatnot), so as well as giving you the (albeit small) extra capacity, it also allows you more options in where things go (for weight balancing for example).
2) I ran the bike without a can (like sstien), just a "tip" on the catalyst exit, and it makes access to the rear wheel much easier for cleaning and tyre replacement.
3) I actually prefer the look without that large (and heavy) rear can. :)
4) it removes from the bike the only part that needs metal polishing when you clean it. ;)

Ha!
Well after MANY years of riding especially long distance I figure we ALL carry too much on the moto. If you have a regular pillion if you have "extra" space she will use it! (so will you!)

Refine you kit and you will be better for it.

BTW all you have to do is deflate the tyre before removal and mount it deflated and then pump it up. Of course with my skinny staintune there is no problem.
I can go out on a two week,(camping mostly), and carry all I need including extra tools and a small compressor,tent,etc. and my total kit is about 55 # including a large tank bag.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

I've done the larger case and feel it's well worth the extra capacity especially because the weight of what your gear is packed lower than in a tail bag. Also removing the muffler and running a Napa chrome tail tip saves some weight.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147