Touring Thoughts - HyperKewl Vest/Plastic Drain Plug

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Bogdan
Basic User

Touring Thoughts - HyperKewl Vest/Plastic Drain Plug

Post by Bogdan »

Just returned from my annual ride from Colorado to St. Louis/Chicago and back.

Since the weather can be hot, I decided to buy a Hyperkewl vest. I'm here to report that it works. Looking up at temperature information provided by banks, I told myself that it sure didn't feel like 96F/35C.

Changed my oil in Chicago and somehow striped the center of the drain plug. Weird...I never stripped an allen fastener before. Ordered a magnetic replacement recommended by Michael Figielski of Bemmer Boneyard fame; except for the magnet it was plastic.....I'm not worried, he's never steered me wrong in the past.

Also....since the bike sat in my brother's garage for 3 days waiting for the plug, more oil was drained than usual. No concern with over-filling. It took 4 quarts with still a little space at the top of the sight glass.
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Re: Touring Thoughts - HyperKewl Vest/Plastic Drain Plug

Post by Photoguy »

Haven't heard of the Hyperkewl vest, will have to look into it. It's also been in the 90's here in Boston a lot this summer. I typically ride with a leather jacket but when it gets this hot I change over to an old off-road jacket I have from my trials days as it's much lighter and has some ventilation. I'm always surprised (not really) when I see riders who have stripped down to next to nothing on a bike-the slightest spill would hurt. I manage to stay pretty cool when riding but it's always an eye opener when I stop and can feel the heat coming off of the engine. I took a short ride through NH and Maine over the 4th and not surprising, found a lot of heavy traffic. Temp was in the 90's, sun was out and it was a lot of stop and go. At times it felt what it must be like to be sitting on a hot stove. Ended up getting away from the main roads and found relief once I started moving again.
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Re: Touring Thoughts - HyperKewl Vest/Plastic Drain Plug

Post by Tundra Dweller »

Kewl vests are....cool ;) they pack flat, can also be a insulation layer when dry, stay wet for a long time and seriously keep your core temp lower. Another feature is they literally sweat for you so you do not get as dehydrated. I also wear a camel back so I can drink while riding with a full face helmet.
I pack mine in a thick, large ziplock bag. When you stop for gas I take the bagged vest and use the bathroom sink faucet to soak it. Wearing no jacket is actually worse as the sweat evaporates before it can cool you down. I paid less than $50 for mine and have used it for many years on many trips.
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao