Grip Replacement

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Grip Replacement

Post by Photoguy »

Had a tear in the throttle side rubber grip so dove into it this morning after ordering a replacement set from eBay. I think they were $29 or so. BMW seems to think that the solution for a damaged rubber grip is a replacement of the entire heated part for considerably more money.

Removing the old grip was straight forward with an xacto knife being careful not to cut into the heated grip wires below. My wife kindly lent me her hair spray which served as a lubricant for the new grip to slide right in place. I've used wd-40/Renthal grip glue/and other stuff in the past but for some reason this was the easiest to slide on. Maybe because it didn't dry as fast as some other stuff? I also considered using an alcohol based hand sanitizer only because on other bikes I've had the grip lubricant dry in the process of sliding the grip on and then it can be tough to take off again or difficult to re-lub when it's halfway on the bar. it...anyway I thought the gel nature of the hand sanitizer might be a good choice also....but I didn't have the need to experiment today.
The heater wires are held in place by means of a clear 'tape' which did break apart in a few places. Actually it stuck to the old grip and came off with it. I cleaned it up as best I could before putting the new grip in place. Probably the most important part of a;; this )aside from the heater wires) is to make sure that the new grip clears the handlebar weight so it can spin freely and the throttle return spring works without restriction.

Here it is in photos.

sstein
Donating Member #: 25

Re: Grip Replacement

Post by sstein »

Looks great. I have a similar tear in the left grip and have addressed it by putting on one of those foam rubber slip-ons. But if so affordable and easy I may follow your lead!
Thanks
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother
Photoguy
Basic User

Post by Photoguy »

Here's the link below where I got them. $29 and $6 shipping from Germany. They arrived quickly and I think they are the OEM manufacturer. Just be careful of the heater wires, and it's not that they're really delicate or anything but I suppose with a heavy enough hand they might cut. I went in with an xacto blade, sharp end up and pointed away from me to make the cut. Was a really quick job.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/231127501801?V ... i&mail=sys

And if the link doesn't work, they're listed as: Replacement handlebar grips for grip heating BMW R1100R R1150R R1100RS R1150RS
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Yes, that's right - "Ariete" the Italian manufacturer supplies BMW. But thankfully as a rare exception, not under an exclusive-sale agreement, which the Greedy Berlin Pig is normally so fond of.
For example, the fifty-buck Gates Industries textile/metal belt still used on a couple of Beemer belt-drive bikes is charged out by Bring My Wallet Berlin at retail 350 snoojits.

Disgraceful profiteering, because Gates USA tells you they can't sell to you direct because of the historic exclusivity deal with Berlin.
Which reminds me of a lovely Jackie Mason joke :
"Why do we need Gentiles ? Somebody has to pay retail..."
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Great pics, thanks
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

+1
Rich
ADIOS!
Photoguy
Basic User

Post by Photoguy »

Bit of an update in case anyone comes across this thread in the future, and I guess to encourage replacing just rubber grip if possible. I've been going through the service history of my bike and saw that the left grip was replaced at the dealer 2 years ago.- I replaced only the right which had a tear in the rubber. I replaced the rubber grip only leaving the heated elements intact. Cost at the dealer to replace one heated grip assembly was $267- Cost to replace just the rubber- about $20 per side and no more than 20 minutes time, where the dealer charged $90 for the parts and 2 hours time...I think that must have included a leisurely lunch. :shock: