OEM Brake Lines/I need to hear you again please.

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

RadicalR1150R
Lifer
Donating Member #: 960

OEM Brake Lines/I need to hear you again please.

Post by RadicalR1150R »

I ordered Spiegler braided SS line kit to replace the SS lines on my 2004 R1150R.. I may have stressed & ruined the original lines while putting in pads, cleaning pistons, painting calipers & on & on & on...thus the very slight spattering on the front rim...
They ARE NOT direct replacement, but require a steel line over the fender from the manifold to the left line going down to caliper.
This line is part # 18 on the BMW (Max's) micro fiche. 34 32 7 654 595 BRAKE PIPE 0.07 1 $22.14
The lines shown on the fiche DO INDEED look to be rubber...
I was thinking to return them & start researching the stock OEM SS lines, or have them custom made is an option also. I think part #18 would stand out above the fender & look pretty funky too.

Spiegler customer support seems to think ALL THESE BIKES came with rubber lines..& mine are aftermarket..
I'd like to know what years came with rubber or SS, when the change over?

Short of having everyone that bought their bikes NEW with Braided SS lines email Spiegler & let them know, I'll take the tally & add it up. Bought my bike used with 11,000 miles so I don't know if mine came new with rubber lines or the SS that are on it now..

In addition, has anyone changed from rubber to Spiegler lines? What was your experience?
Sorry to be so long winded.
Thank you all for your input too.
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Re: OEM Brake Lines/I need to hear you again please.

Post by Sunbeemer »

My 2002 came with a metal crossover tube from the front right caliper to the front left caliper (that ran over the top of the fender behind the cowl) that I reused when I replaced my front brake lines with Speigler lines, who BTW sent me the wrong kit that contained a long line from the master cylinder to the right caliper, and another not-as-long line that was supposed to go from the junction block to the left caliper, but I opted to keep the metal crossover tube and they happily replaced the too-long crossover line with a shorter one that connects between the tube and the left caliper. They also offered a kit that simply ran two long brake lines (one to each caliper) from the master cylinder, which may actually be a better way to replace them.

My original brake lines were all rubber hoses, front and rear.
Rich
ADIOS!
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

2003 non ABS
Rubber
Buckster '03R
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

2003 and stock as far as I know. I've got a pretty complete maintenance folder that doesn't mention changing lines.

riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

IIRC the R-R didn't have SS lines as standard, but rubber.
The Rockster however did come with SS lines as standard.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Oh - FWIW if you're replacing the lines - I'd HIGHLY recommend swapping to a simple 2-line setup.

1 line for each caliper travelling directly from the master cylinder to each caliper. Reduces to virtually zero any locations for air-bubbles to be trapped, making bleeding and fluid changes a breeze. All you need is the correct double banjo bolt at the master cylinder. (EG - if you have Speigler lines - get a Speigler double banjo bolt of the correct thread/diameter).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

riceburner wrote:IIRC the R-R didn't have SS lines as standard, but rubber.
The Rockster however did come with SS lines as standard.
I'll second that.

Had a 2002 R1150R Roadster (build 11-01) with OE rubber brake lines, and two Rocksters (build 02-03 and 03-03) with OE stainless lines.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
RadicalR1150R
Lifer
Donating Member #: 960

Post by RadicalR1150R »

Yes Photoguy, that's my set up too...nice photo too
Riceburner.. Mine is iABS, My MC line goes back to the Module, but probably could run a x2 banjo from module out, more extra line to route. Ordered custom line from caliper to manifold.
Thanks..
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

I have Spiegler brake lines on four bikes .
No issues with any of the installations .
One unique feature of Spiegler lines, is that there is a slip joint between the banjo fitting and the swaged part on the line .
You can turn the banjo part to eliminate any twisting in the line that can occur during installation .
Also if you have any airhead bikes, they can take your old OEM rotor and upgrade it to a semi floating rotor .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Spiegler are great in the USA - here in Europe I use the A3S Performance kit that comes with swivel banjo unions. Turn the angle-of-dangle to whatever suits the layout of your braids best, thus making installation and adjustment a cinch.
https://www.as3performance.co.uk/brake-lines/
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
texbid
Basic User

Post by texbid »

riceburner wrote:Oh - FWIW if you're replacing the lines - I'd HIGHLY recommend swapping to a simple 2-line setup.

1 line for each caliper travelling directly from the master cylinder to each caliper. Reduces to virtually zero any locations for air-bubbles to be trapped, making bleeding and fluid changes a breeze. All you need is the correct double banjo bolt at the master cylinder. (EG - if you have Speigler lines - get a Speigler double banjo bolt of the correct thread/diameter).
I think the crossover is an unnecessary complication .2 single lines is better setup and , in the case of thisr that travel in remote areas a simpler fix should something go erong with one of the calipers .you can then just run one disc up front.

Btw the other lines are stanfard automotive hoses, so in a pinch, you can use auto brake lines as substitutes .soeaking from.experience .
BadToTheBown

Post by BadToTheBown »

2004 came with stainless steel lines. I'll sell them to you cheap, won't fit my calipers. They look like the pic above from the 2003 bike. You need to have the BMW calipers for these lines, Brembo are different (slightly longer lines). I've changed my whole front end, so I'm redoing all of mine in Spiegler, blue lines with red fittings, some will be custom lengths, you'll be happy with these lines if you buy them [Spiegler]...good luck..
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada (HyperProject)
2005 BMW R1150sR Project Tourer
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

My june 2002 came with rubber lines. After iABS removal had them replaced with custom made steel lines.

Front

Rear

8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
Barista
Basic User
Donating Member #: 25

Post by Barista »

FWIW, My 2004 R1150 Roadster ABS has the same lines as pictured above by Easybee. I believe they're original since the original owner did zero upgrades and there's only 5,100 miles on it.
2004 R1150 R ABS
Lincoln, Nebraska