Is this the wire tie to clip?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Is this the wire tie to clip?

Post by Photoguy »

I've seen a few references to clipping wire ties that came from the factory as they put stress on the wires they're intended to secure. Not sure why I haven't noticed this until today (and truth be told it was my neighbor who pointed it out to me). Obviously in need of some new covering, and not sure that this is caused by the wire tie but would assume so. -So while I'm figuring out a suitable covering I thought I'd ask...is *This* the tie to remove?
Thanks as always-

RadicalR1150R
Lifer
Donating Member #: 960

Re: Is this the wire tie to clip?

Post by RadicalR1150R »

That indeed may be one to cut & adjust, Use your good judgement, Adjust them to let go of the stress when turning the bars full left & right.
My harness was the same.. Weather/sun & years..
Try cabletiesandmore.com
1/2" Self-closing Wrap Around Braided Sleeving. (not plastic loom) Excellent product & available by the foot too..
Photoguy
Basic User

Post by Photoguy »

Thanks RR! Much appreciate the input and the link!
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by gregor »

I clipped at least 3 cable ties on my 2002 around 7 years ago. There was useful link on this forum to a photograph with the relevant ties circled. Anyone know where it is?
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
Photoguy
Basic User

Post by Photoguy »

Thx G. I tried searching but didn't come up with anything specific. I'll continue to poke around both here and on the bike to see if anything is obvious to address.
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Hi Photoguy - my old eyes find it hard to make out detail at the top of your picture - it seems a touch on the dark side, but I think I dimly see a zip-tie right by the suspension spring.
If so, that's the one that can - on occasions - have been cinched up too tightly by the assembler in Berlin all those years ago. Yes, I'm sure you'll have snipped it off with your sharp side-cutters by the time you see this.

Some assemblers were indeed over-keen to zip up bunches of cables near the head-stock without really checking properly whether doing so adversely affected full-lock steering or lever / Bowden operation.

Interesting to note by the way, the little known fact that BMW only actually guaranteed the service life of any of the rubber components on the bike for a mere FIVE years !

I've used the self-healing self-adhesive cable wrap for many years - works well for repairing failures in the outer sheathing like we see in your picture. Or the magic "Sugru" mouldable rubber compound that sets semi-stiff. An amazing product in several colours that must be kept in the fridge once the package is opened. Very good for fixing the sheathing failure that often affects that sharp bend in the cable connecting to the top of each injector.

Incidentally part two - here's my Heath Robinson installation of my latest "Shorai" LiPo battery that's so much smaller than the OEM item, that they provide foam rubber padding to pack-out the battery holder. LiPo technology was a fantastic development in battery design, an innovation from a few years ago that completely out-dated standard lead-acid, gel or matte batteries, despite more recent developments. Half the size, a third of the weight and five-times the cranking power. Doesn't self-discharge, so even if your dash display clock is on all the time the bike is switched off, provided your anti-theft alarm doesn't sit there drawing too much standby current, if you run the bike at least once every 2 months, you never need a dedicated charger / monitor.

This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
Photoguy
Basic User

Post by Photoguy »

Thx syko! Your eyes are better than you think- yes, that's the one right near the exposed wires. I've ordered the self sealing wrap and once that arrives will give this a much closer look to see what else lurks in the area.

Guess I can't find too much fault with the assembly guy who's job it was to attach the ties..must be monotony at it's highest level and a job left for the least experienced worker? Makes me think of my neighbor who spent a year working in the BMW car plant in Germany. His job was to load some stamped metal part into wheelbarrows and then on into a spray booth. Once inside he'd hang them on hooks for paint and when that was done, off they'd go in the wheelbarrow again to the next step in the process. When the factory took it's annual shutdown, he was required to go back into the spray booth and scrape the overspray off the walls and get ready for the next production year. Day in and day out. Must be numbing to the spirit.

As an aside, he's the same neighbor that spotted the tear in the wrap...maybe he picked up some QC traits in his time in Germany!

And as a complete aside, I hope that your user name indicates that you're in Spain. And not in pain. ;)
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

This is the tape used on the new BMW models. We have used it replacing the old cover on the 1150's.

https://www.amazon.com/Tesa-Fleece-Inte ... ECYFBCXM51
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
Photoguy
Basic User

Post by Photoguy »

Thx swamped. I’ve already order the other stuff mentioned and will give it a try. Appreciate you taking the time-
RadicalR1150R
Lifer
Donating Member #: 960

Post by RadicalR1150R »

Hey Swamper.. Lots of positive reviews on the wrapping tape..They're using on new BMW's? Bike's?
The description reads "interior" ..Who's using it on 1150's?
Thanks..
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

We re-wrapped our 2002 1150 R. The tape worked very well. It was amazing how bad the original plastic shielding had broken down.

We had run some extra wires on our S1000 XR's that's how we ran across this tape.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by gregor »

I use what we call self amalgamating tape in the UK. Used it for many diy jobs.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin