rear brake pedal removal

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

rear brake pedal removal

Post by Photoguy »

...and more specifically, the return spring. I'm pretty sure that with some maneuvering/swearing I could get it off, but I'm thinking ahead to re-installing it. Any tips/tools/suggestions? Doesn't appear to be any leverage points in the vicinity to stretch the spring back into place. Maybe I'm overthinking it but hoping to be prepared before I start the project so I don't wind up staring at the spring for days trying to imagine it back on the bike! :shock: . Maybe I'd get lucky and by undoing the master cylinder plunger rod from it's pin and loosening the bolt that contacts the light switch that it would just slip off and on but the way my luck's been going it's doubtful. :lol:

By way of background, I'm still in the foot peg lowering stage and dealing with the new foot relationship to the brake pedal. I've managed to find a used brake pedal and have fashioned an extension for the 'foot' part that's just an inch longer and if works will alleviate the need to pivot my foot inward to reach the pedal. The pivot is the result of the lowering kit off-setting the foot pegs by an inch or so outward.

As always, appreciative of any input-

Here's a rough version of the new pedal. If this works, I'll dress it up a bit with a proper fitting bolt and a rubber cover.Image
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: rear brake pedal removal

Post by riceburner »

I generally use a piece of string to pull coil springs into position (eg on exhaust springs on race systems). I can't remember if the return spring on the brake lever is a simple coil spring under tension, but that's my recollection.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Photoguy
Basic User

Post by Photoguy »

Yup...it's a coil spring that circles the retaining bolt with a hook on both ends. One clips to the frame, the other to a notch on the underside of the brake lever. It may not be under as much tension as I imagine, and only one way to find that out I suppose! Planning on digging into this over the weekend.
Thanks for the input!

riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Ah - yeah - I'd probably fineagle it into place with the coil in roughly the right position with a screwdriver up the hole, then you can run the bolt down the hole and into the coil spring, then the thread.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Photoguy
Basic User

Post by Photoguy »

Thx riceburner...good idea!

I keep thinking it's probably a lot less complicated to do than to 'think about'...just didn't want to get it off and not be able to put it back ;)
Photoguy
Basic User

Post by Photoguy »

In the event that it's of any interest, the surgery to add a longer rear brake foot pad was a success, I think. The lever and spring came off easily as the spring isn't under much tension when the brake is at it's highest position. All in all a 15 minute job. Undid the clip at the rear end to free the push rod and then took the bolt off and with a flat blade screwdriver worked the spring free. I think it may be a T45 which I didn't have and despite fitting a little on the loose side, a T40 did the trick. Re assembly was the reverse though I took the advice of putting the spring clip on and then re-inserting the mounting bolt.

The new foot pad is now in place and is about an inch longer than the stock which puts it closer to my natural foot position. I fastened the foot pad out of a piece of aluminum tubing, inserted a bolt through it and with a nut and lock washer attached it to the brake lever (which I had previously removed the stock foot pad) and used a piece of marine heat shrink to make the rubber surface. I'll ride it this way for a while to see if it was worth the trouble.

Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

Turned out nice!
Buckster '03R
Photoguy
Basic User

Post by Photoguy »