shocks interchangeability

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

BadToTheBown
Donating Member #: 1

shocks interchangeability

Post by BadToTheBown »

I know I can put GS shocks on our R-bikes but do the RTs fit too? The S-bikes do not fit...
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada (HyperProject)
2005 BMW R1150sR Project Tourer
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: shocks interchangeability

Post by sweatmark »

Can't answer your question, but FWIW dug up some old Ohlins info from 2006 when I was shock shopping:

BMW R 1150 R Rockster 2003:
Part No. BM 349, Type 46DRS, Length 372 mm, Stroke 50 mm
Part No. BM 350, Type 36DRL, Position front, Length 324 +10/-0 mm, Stroke 75 mm

BMW R 1150 R 2002:
Part No. BM 049, Type 46DRS, Length 366 mm, Stroke 56 mm
Part No. BM 050, Type 36DRL, Position front, Length 334 +6/-4 mm, Stroke 73 mm
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
BadToTheBown

Post by BadToTheBown »

Thanks for offering...based on what others have said on the forum, I'm not surprised Rocksters are longer.

I've also read the GS fronts are the same as the R but the rears are quite a bit longer, I know I don't want my R to have a GS inseam...no idea where the RT falls relative to this, mounting looks the same as the R and GS...
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

https://www.ohlins.com/products/databas ... ories=4815
Not exactly the BMW OE data, but useful reference when comparing shock length of R1150** variants.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
BadToTheBown

Post by BadToTheBown »

Thanx sweatmark, this helped...here's what it says...

R1150X....Length.....Stroke.....F/R
R1150R....366mm....56mm......R
R1150RT..366mm....56mm......R
R1150R....334mm....73mm......F (+6mm/-4mm)
R1150RT..330mm....78mm......F

IF I read this right, the rears are the same length and fronts aren't (opposite of what I had read elsewhere)...these look like they'll swap...the time it took to figure this out, those $600 Ohlins on ebay are gone...figures...
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Oddly, (and only useful for pedants), the Rockster shocks are actually the same at those on the R850R, and although RealOEM seems to show that the rear is also used for the R1150R, it isn't. The R-R shock is shorter, although if you combine it with a R1100GS paralever arm, it brings the Rockster back to standard height.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
BadToTheBown

Post by BadToTheBown »

I just wish I knew the GS and RT shock ends were the same. I'm wondering about the width of the spacers through the eyelets...thanx for the info on the R850R, I'm sticking with a stock length R1150R Paralever Link...
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

I've had the Olhins since new on my rockster have had them rebuilt about 7 or 8 times. They are off to the shop being refreshed at the moment and I usually reinstall the stock ones till I get them back...significant difference in the height for the Ohlin and damping. Great rebound tuning on the Ohlin's.
And the way Ohlin's sets s the rockster the ride height is higher than stock which a good improvement in cornering on a track day.

The Ohlin shock have spoiled me and they will go back on next week when I get them back.

The high quality of the Ohlin(and they can be rebuilt) and the fact my machine is high mileage, they have proved a good investment.

My stock shocks only have about 5,000 miles.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
BadToTheBown

Post by BadToTheBown »

Starting with stock. IF I ever spring (pun) for a new set, would probably be Wilbers for this bike. Very happy with my last 2 sets. All the Ohlins I've had were factory Ohlins, not as good as the aftermarket Ohlins. I'd be just as happy with aftermarket Ohlins as the Wilbers, very similar quality and performance in my observation. I also have Mupo on one bike, they beat EVERYTHING I've had to date, just top of the line stuff but I'm not spending that kind of coin for this bike...I'm also not spending the money for high and low speed compression damping on this one...
kirby

Post by kirby »

My Ohlins were installed by a race shop in the Bay area and set up by them. They usually do the rebuild. The model I have has no adjustable compression dampening just rebound. IMHO that all that is needed for street use. I don't have any idea what the wilbers cost but the stock BMW units are (as with all bmw stuff) pricy.
I think I remember that my pair of Ohlins were about $1900.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
BadToTheBown

Post by BadToTheBown »

I agree, high and low speed on the street is just nice to have. I'm a bit of a suspension addict, so I got crazy on my Hyper and RC bikes, my R1150S project bike is street/track.

The Wilbers sound cheaper than the Ohlins based on your spec and stated cost...I have Wilbers on my R1150S and one of my RCs...
kirby

Post by kirby »

On my shocks (Ohlin) they did a very good job setting the compression for the street. They turned out to be dead on the performance of the rockster. The shop I bought them from is a Ohlins dealer and they told me it I need it changed they could do that , but I found it unnecessary.

A modern upside down Ohlin fork with all the adjustable bits will have to be freshened up about every 20K miles or when you hit the stops on the adjusters. I am like you and really appreciate quality suspension and am very sensitive to the settings. (aggressive riding, occasional track day).

It takes all kinds of special tools to service one of these (fork) buggers and is complicated.

A friend of mine just had one done and it was $2000 gulp. ($9,000 fork new).

I have always heard good things about Wilber stuff.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
BadToTheBown

Post by BadToTheBown »

I haven't done forks myself yet but I plan to. Had a set of FG832s, but with some good assurance from a guy I know in BSB, I believe I can learn to build a pretty good set based on his advice. Also, he's not a huge NIX fork fan, so I sold them...Got $2,600 for them (specific to RC-51s), think they had the superbike valving update...finishing my RC-51 is on my to do list...
kirby

Post by kirby »

I'v done forks but not the Ohlin ones. I talked to the shop guys at a Ohlin dealer and they showed me around the shop, you have to acquire some Ohlin tools just to take them apart.
Ah the to do list, so much to do and so little time!!!
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
BadToTheBown

Post by BadToTheBown »

I have a fork tools list, so I hear you...I have lots of hobbies with projects, I just work too much...I WILL retire, work is not my hobby...