Anyone removed the O2 sensor?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Soliton

Anyone removed the O2 sensor?

Post by Soliton »

Has anyone disconnected their O2 sensor completely?

I recently had my bike on the dyno and saw what happens when it kicks in. It only goes into closed loop mode between 3500 and 4500 rpm when the throttle is at 50%. The fuel mix goes insanely lean. When I later spoke to my mechanic he said.."Aw just disconnect it, it still runs fine."

He seemed to be suggesting that the ECU then defaults to the map on the chip with inputs from the Throttle Position Sensor and the Air Temp Sensor.

The O2 sensor is narrow band, and I wonder if it only to kicks in during the rev and throttle position at which emissions are tested. (Volkswagen anyone?)

Anybody?

Sol
"Better to live rich than die rich."
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: Anyone removed the O2 sensor?

Post by kirby »

Good question and I have never had mine on a dyno but the closed loop is probably for economy. When I put the staintune exhaust system on my machine I plugged the oxy fitting just for a data point and watched the mileage for a trip. When I got back from the trip I reinstalled a new sensor and although I couldn't tell any performance difference with or without, the mileage did improve(w/oxy sensor installed) on the road trips by about 2 or 3 mpg, so I'm still running one in my system.

One interesting thing is I'm just back from a trip to NC and back to CA with the new 1200 injectors installed and the mileage dropped a bit so the 1200 injectors (maybe?) are running a bit richer across the board and (maybe?) the throttle response is crisper, (subjective). but I will leave them installed.

Economy is more important to me for this machine 'cause its my traveler however it has to be a good thing to run the higher tech 1200s so they will stay as well.

FWIW
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Kirya
Basic User

Post by Kirya »

kirby wrote: One interesting thing is I'm just back from a trip to NC and back to CA with the new 1200 injectors installed and the mileage dropped a bit so the 1200 injectors (maybe?) are running a bit richer across the board and (maybe?) the throttle response is crisper, (subjective). but I will leave them installed.
I've read somewhere an opinion that 1200 injectors on oilheads are only 'helping' when the engine is still cold. The benefit is in smoother engine run right after startup, which is admiring everyone who tried. Technically it has something to do with a spray pattern, richness of the fuel delivery and differences in the fuel delivery cycles. Oilhead works great when warmed up on 1150 injectors, not so much when cold where 1200 injectors prevail, but with a price of poorer fuel economy. I have not validated all of it, just passing the word.
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

I can detect no difference between cold and hot performance but they may give a lower mileage number. The more I ride (6000 miles so far) the better the mileage seems? to get.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

The O2 sensor also ensures enough O2 gets to the catalytic converter to produce combustion there. Without it, the converter would sooner or later clog up with soot. If you disconnect it, you should also remove the cat before it causes excessive exhaust back-pressure.
Last edited by Sunbeemer on Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rich
ADIOS!
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Depends where you are, Soliton. If you're not subject to repressive emission regs., just ditch the O2 sensor and the thing it screws into - the 10 kilogram lump of a cat box. Get a Y-pipe instead and screw the O2 sensor into that instead.
Feeeel the difference !
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
Soliton

Post by Soliton »

Sykospain,

I had a Y-pipe on it and a 200mm (very, very stubby) muffler that was fully open and had zero restriction in it. It sounded absolutely magnificent (deep and booming with a fine bark on the over-run) however in a suburban environment it was obnoxiously loud and required me to wear ear plugs on anything other than a brief ride.

I'm running an Af-Xied and Rocket Sprockets so the go factor isn't so much of an issue, it actually pulls like a train. A silly thing I like about the Y-pipe is really being able to feel the engine. The thumping throb of it feels very raw and old school.

Regards,

Sol
"Better to live rich than die rich."
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Are you still running with a CCCP? (Cat Code control plug). If so take it out and let the closed loop system run on it's original settings rather than whatever setting the CCCP has altered it to.

none of my Rocksters ever had a CCCP.

Let me know if you can't see this : https://www.therevcounter.co.uk/attachm ... 1248206876
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Arbreacames
Basic User

Post by Arbreacames »

Hi Sol. How do you know that closed loop only operates in that narrow window?
Incidentally, yesterday I was getting set-up to check the operation of the O2 sensor using the MotoScan App. With the App, I can read the voltage of the sensor. I am looking into this because 1) my R has more than 82k miles, so the O2 sensor is probably at the end of its life, and 2) my bike came without a CCP plug, and I have heard that it forces the bike to run open loop exclusively. I still need to run the App with a warm engine to see what the readings look like, but I am looking for all of the suggestions that any of you may have.
Carlos D.
Arbreacames
Basic User

Post by Arbreacames »

I checked the O2 sensor reading with a warm engine. Only when it is idling do I see the voltage fluctuate as expected between 0.1 and 0.9 V. Anything above idle, and the voltage is above 0.8 V. Either the O2 is being ignored, or the sensor is bad. So little information out there!
Carlos D.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Rather than remove oxygen sensor (no known removal benefit for the R1150** series), why not keep it installed and instead modify air/fuel ratio via the AF-XIED device? Believe we have discussed the device in this board already, as well as referenced the work of Roger in epic ADV topic thread (now 99 pages):

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2 ... mw.749080/

I had the AF-XIED on my Edition 80 Rockster and will install one on my next Rockster soon.

<edit addition, didn't see that soliton already has af-xied>... based on the idea that the R1150** ECU has memory that impacts open-loop, pushing lambda richer with AF-XIED should impact both open- and closed-loop, so there shouldn't be a performance cost by keeping oxygen sensor. If sensor was removed, the ECU shift to richer condition wouldn't happen when the "emergency " map is imposed. But has timing been mapped for normal versus the faulty sensor limp-back-home mode?
Last edited by sweatmark on Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Roger 04 rt

Post by Roger 04 rt »

Sol,
Here is a write up on the R 1150 closed loop area: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/r ... t-25610970. And below is one of the plots I made after measuring it.

Either something isn’t right with your bike or your dyno measurements are incorrect. What AF-XIED setting are you using?

riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Arbreacames wrote: my bike came without a CCP plug, and I have heard that it forces the bike to run open loop exclusively.
Different CCCPs do different things - somewhere on this forum (IIRC about 4 or 5 years ago) there was a link to a page that described all the CCCPs and said what they all did. Most of them are for different Markets (eg US, Europe, Far East etc).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Roger 04 rt

Post by Roger 04 rt »

The only way to know for sure what a given coding plug will do in a given R1150 is to read the configuration with a GS-911. Anything else is merely guesswork. Here is a link for several that have been measured: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/c ... t-26886395.

2004 R1150RT US (USA) Twin Spark
No Coding Plug: R1150R/GS US+ECE
Beige Coding Plug: R1150R/GS Japan
Yellow Coding Plug: R1150R-GS Ocatan 91
Pink Coding Plug: R1150RT-RS US+ECE
30-86 Coding Plug: R1150RT/RS Japan
30-86-87: R1100S US+ECE
30-86-87a: No Valid String found
30-86-87-87a: keine Serie (no series)

2003 R1150GS SA (South Africa) Twin Spark
No Coding Plug: R1150R/GS US+ECE
Yellow Coding Plug: R1150R/GS Japan
Beige Coding Plug: keine Serie (no series)

2002 R1150GS CA (Canada) Single Spark
No Coding Plug: R1150 GS ECE Kat
Yellow Coding Plug: R1150 GS US u.TEV
Beige Coding Plug: R1150 GS CH o.TEV

2002 R1150R CA Single Spark
No Coding Plug: R1150R/GS ECE Kat
Yellow Coding Plug: R1150R/GS US u.TEV
Beige Coding Plug: R1150RS/GS CH o.TEV
Pink Coding Plug: R1150RT ECE/US Kat/T
30-86 Coding Plug: R1150RT US II Kat/TE
30-86-87:
30-86-87a: KEINE SERIE